Power steering conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramwow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was wondering I have a 2012 5.7 and I know it was 2014 and up that have the electric power steering mine is hydraulic. Would it be possible or worth swapping the hydraulic to the electric power steering would there be any fuel economy gain or power gain.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would you want to replace an easy to maintain system with electronic junk ?

OP
OP
Ramwow

Ramwow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s why I’m asking. Cause I don’t know if there would be any pros or cons to doing the swap…

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would you want to replace an easy to maintain system with electronic junk ?
I don't think it's junk but mine has always worked. Ask me again when/if I ever have to fix it HAHA

I can't think of any pros of swapping it though, hydro assist steering works just fine and is way cheaper to fix when it breaks.

OP
OP
Ramwow

Ramwow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's junk but mine has always worked. Ask me again when/if I ever have to fix it HAHA

I can't think of any pros of swapping it though, hydro assist steering works just fine and is way cheaper to fix when it breaks.
Thank you for the non sarcastic reply I greatly appreciate it I’ve never had a vehicle with electric steering.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the non sarcastic reply I greatly appreciate it I’ve never had a vehicle with electric steering.
This is my first vehicle with it and I really can't tell a difference.

I have heard of guys having to replace their electric racks here though and they are not cheap and there is a special alignment procedure using the electronics in the truck. So I would stick with your setup 100%.

DILLIGAF is a good dude with a really nice truck too, just giving you a hard time I'm sure, don't take it personally :)

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do come off like a **** sometimes... :Big Laugh: But since this isnt a Ford *** club, thick skin is needed around here...

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No, you can't do this without swapping all other electronics and control modules in the vehicle. The reason is the communication with the vehicle and the steering rack that takes place. Referred to as the vehicle architecture "Powernet". Electric power steering racks rely on the CAN communication from the vehicle that your 2012 is not setup to send, specifically the signals to the electric steering gear.

Honestly the early iterations of power steering really aren't that much better from a steering feel than hydraulic. We haven't really benefitted from electric power steering until recently like on the 5th gens when they have been able to implement things like lane keep assist or wheel disturbance rejection.

OP
OP
Ramwow

Ramwow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, you can't do this without swapping all other electronics and control modules in the vehicle. The reason is the communication with the vehicle and the steering rack that takes place. Referred to as the vehicle architecture "Powernet". Electric power steering racks rely on the CAN communication from the vehicle that your 2012 is not setup to send, specifically the signals to the electric steering gear.
That was something I was thinking about after looking into the parts that would be necessary. Then I saw all the threads about the issues they can have in colder climates.