Power Wagon trust on long not maintained roads

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by Grand Mesa, Apr 22, 2018.

1. continuecrushing

continuecrushing Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    dang, in for the stuck mud story!

2. scoutpappa

scoutpappa Member

Ram Year:
    2017 dodge power wagon
    Engine:
    I forgot to add the 5 gallon jerry can of mid grade. ;)

3. Grand Mesa

Grand Mesa Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Extra gasoline is always a plus even when you get back to the highway out in the middle of nowhere anywhere special. Carried 5 gallons of 87 octane (mid grade here) on a long trip today while towing a fully loaded enclosed 6 x 12 foot Uhaul trailer with 5 x 6 foot steel gate welded fencing somewhere within the Great Divide Basin. Nearest town was a quite distant Baggs, Wyoming. Even at 70 mph the Power Wagon average highway speed and with much slower remote dirt road speeds it still got 12.7 mpg with today's 520 mile trip. All done with the tow haul mode on. Never got below 1/4 tank when I got back to the nearest gasoline station due to the good towing gas mileage of my 2016 Power Wagon. I learned to keep the speed at or under 70 mph to save fuel. No worries due to having extra fuel along. Quite impressed with the mpg.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. PatinAZ

PatinAZ Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    When I tow my camper, it's usually from low elevation in Tucson ~2400' to my favorite spot close to 8000'. It's about a six hour drive uphill and remote through most stretches. I have my refuel stops pretty well mapped out but always carry extra gas. If I'm heading into a strong headwind, the mpg's get way worse than they already are. One thing I've learned when towing is to never pass gas.

5. MJockey

MJockey Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    What he said. Hopefully with photos and video. ;)

continuecrushing likes this.
  6. Vicman

Vicman Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    I wouldn't hesitate with my 16 Wagon. Took mine on the Richlands Road (not a road) here in North Carolina. 5 hours in 1-2 low range. Only thing back in those woods was ragged out jeeps and 4 wheelers. Big rocks and streams to cross. Needed both ends locked, stab disconnected and low tire pressure. Fun day!
    Mileage was around 9 when I got out.

7. Brakelate

Brakelate Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I'll have to dig out the few pics I have of the stunt where I really buried it a couple years back, on Thanksgiving out in Mexican Hat, UT. on the shoreline of the San Juan River and had to leave it over night.

I do have a slide show type vid of some crummy footage of my son sticking our first (stock) Rubicon Unlimited, then my daughter coming to the rescue, sinking the Power Wagon right out near the house after a Flash Flood swamped the Nipple Creek crossing on the southern start of Utah's Smokey Mountain Road.

Eventually I managed to winch them both free, thus was too busy (and it got dark) to get any good video, so this will have to do.

On the 'down side', in the process of all the spinning, side loading and grinding around hub deep in all the river bed pebbles, rocks, sand and mud, the original stock wheels were trashed. It just ate the clear coat off the outer faces and scratched up the machined aluminum something terrible.

On the 'Up Side', it gave me a good excuse to purchase the new Teflon Coated Wheels and wider tires!

KIMG0148.jpg

Grand Mesa likes this.