2018 PW DIY Upgrades and Fixes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’d say you’re next step is body armour rock sliders bumpers etc. what part of Canada are you in I’m in Edmonton Alberta Canada and we have a couple of other people from Alberta on the forum. Some of the things I have done to my truck are. Home made rock sliders and a topper lift and a spare tire carrier. Bolt in’s are a k/n air filter ( I like mine) and a Abel concept locker bypass’s a synergy drag link a phazer controller to compensate for the 35 inch tires( el cheapo Chinese)led headlights relocated the winch control and changed it to a remote control with new home made power cables to the battery maple off-road front diff protection dual steering stabilizers remove the resonator magna flow d-fit muffler. The rock sliders / steps are the best thing that I have added. Because it’s easier for the missus and the dogs to get in and out. And solar panels on the roof of the truck to keep the battery in the camper charged
Nice rig! I’m out in the Okanagan area of BC.

Rock sliders are on the list along with some 35’s… I’ve been told about the winch control relocation before in this thread… you’ve got some other good ideas I’ll have to dive into!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Okanogan sweet you live in an area with some of the best wheeling in North America. Be sure to post pics. Based on where you live you can go wheeling anytime you want. What kind of build are you thinking of over lander , rock crawler etc.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Okanogan sweet you live in an area with some of the best wheeling in North America. Be sure to post pics. Based on where you live you can go wheeling anytime you want. What kind of build are you thinking of over lander , rock crawler etc.
Yes, quite fortunate to have trails out my front door and all around. I’ve been wheeling here for 15 years and still find new places to explore, it’s incredible.

Probably aiming more towards overland style, if I was to categorize it… I use the truck on our acreage and for work around the rentals… needed something for carrying equipment or towing the utility trailer and now a travel trailer but missed my Rubicon and didn’t need a diesel… first world problems that put me on the PW path. Always loved them and finally had some “excuses” to get one haha

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
My uses are similar but I live in Edmonton so it’s a drive to get to good wheeling. My truck is my daily driver so I can’t get to crazy with mods. Most of the things I have done is to make my truck a better camping mobile.

Attachments

• IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 10

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
These pictures are from before I built the “doghouse “ on the back I found that I kept kicking the doors open. I have a little diesel heater that heats the back

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 5

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Here’s a better picture of the tire carrier I built in the red ammo can is the diesel heater it gets it’s fuel from the gas can beside it. There’s 2 12 volt batteries in the bed to power the heater and the topper lift.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.png
    IMG_0838.png
    609 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Here’s a better picture of the tire carrier I built in the red ammo can is the diesel heater it gets its fuel from the gas can beside it. There’s 2 12 volt batteries in the bed to power the heater and the topper lift.
I hear ya - “Clifford” is my daily, too. You got a great setup, looks like it’s been built out over the years and getting optimized for your needs.

Is there a reason you did a tire carrier off the back? From what I’ve read, the 35 can still stuff into the stock location with a bit of wiggle and massaging?

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
When I bought my truck new off the lot times were good and I planned on buying lots of stuff for it. Times changed so I had to build the stuff that I wanted but couldn’t afford. Like rock sliders the ones I wanted ( white knuckle off-road)while probably a fantastic product as I see them on lots of trucks on YouTube. They were to spend for my budget. So I researched the materials that they were using and I got some locally. I already had a welder etc. I bought a cheap plasma cutter and crawled under my truck and built my own. I think that they are just as strong as the other ones.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If you’re out wheeling and get stuck with a flat it would be a pita to get it out. Also I plan to put an auxiliary fuel tank in the spot the tire used to be. And those cheap a&! Winch’s that they use to hold the spare up are known to be apita

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If you’re out wheeling and get stuck with a flat it would be a pita to get it out. Also I plan to put an auxiliary fuel tank in the spot the tire used to be. And those cheap a&! Winch’s that they use to hold the spare up are known to be apita
All good points…

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
2x2inch 1/4 inch wall x3 that go under the frame and attached with 12 1/2 inch u bolts 3/16 inch skid plates

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I n your area you are definitely going to need some kind of rocker protection and probably better skids. For crossing water bars on the logging roads

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I n your area you are definitely going to need some kind of rocker protection and probably better skids. For crossing water bars on the logging roads
Sliders are on the list for sooner than later… already had a log come up from under the wheel and wedged itself between rocker and nerf bar… brutal. Luckily my spotter caught it and the damage was minimal but there’s still a reminder there for me to look at… smh

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I am so jealous of you you have great wheeling right out your door. Have fun