2018 PW DIY Upgrades and Fixes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Recently purchased a 2018 Power Wagon in Flame Red with 99,8XX KM, now at 108,3XX KM. Thanks to this forum, I've managed to do lots of the recommended fixes or upgrades but wanted to document my progress so far and see what else I can add to my to-do list and maintenance routine.

Engine oil changes every 8,000 KM with Redline synthetic 5W30 engine oil with WIX 57060XP filter. Also, grease the driveshaft and add fuel system treatment/cleaner to the tank.
Redline 75W90NS gear oil for the front and rear diffs. Cleaned off the locker magnets. I posted a comment on another thread here that the rear fluid change actually fixed a shudder I was experiencing when reversing slowly with wheels turned full lock either way.
Redline C+ ATF for the transmission with WIX 57055XP spin-on filter (wire wheel paint off) + hex internal metal filter adapter, and Mopar sump filter 0501347AE. Also got the Ultra Power (Rock Auto house brand) pan with drain plug # 265870, the same as Dorman.
Redline C+ ATF for the transfer case.
K&N engine air filter and cabin air filter.

Gates serpentine belt #K060795, Dayco idler # DY89133, Gates tensioner # ZO3823
Bosch Ceramic brake pads, front and rear.
New cab exhausters # 68323649AB... happy I did those. One flap on the old ones was going and I like the revised surround design to keep water out.

I had an issue with the winch not working - found a rotted-out pin on the remote connector. Got a connector from Lordco and made a fix then packed both ends with dielectric grease to avoid a repeat...

Tightened the cable nut on the starter - the truck randomly wouldn't start one day... love these forums though!

Third brake light gasket fix... Home Depot had the EPDM weather stripping.

Now for my current issues, and what else people can suggest adding...

I'm working on determining the tick... I think it's exhaust headers. Will post a video later if I haven't confirmed it or need help...
I have a vibration between 94-104 KM/HR that I can feel in the steering wheel. Tires are cheaper Nexen brand from the previous owner so maybe that's it?

After I changed the diff fluid in the rear, I did about 1000 KM and checked the plug... lots of fresh fine shavings. Will keep an eye one this.. seemed more than I'd like to see.

There's a reman tranny installed by the dealer at 60,*** KMS, and then a new shift solenoid done at 82,*** KMS. I know these 66RFE transmissions have issues... I ordered a Next Gen Drivetrains DIY 4.0 kit to install but returned it because it would certainly void my 3-year warranty if tranny went. Has anyone heard of these guys or have any thoughts? I am aiming to install this once the warranty is up... NEXT GEN DIY KIT 4.0

Recalls are all caught up, although I'll be reaching out to Ram Cares about the track bar "fix" with the welds. Does anyone know if they service customers in Canada?

Aiming to do the spark plugs and boots next...

So... thoughts? What's next!? These forums helped me catch a lot of little quirks with these trucks and I'm looking to fix anything I've missed.

Thanks!

A few "fun" things I did, painted the RAM badge black on the front. Got a new WARN pull strap for the winch cable clasp. Bison hard tri-fold tonneau cover and a ratcheting cargo bar.

Attachments

• IMG-6867.jpg
    IMG-6867.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 37

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice truck. I was having the same shutter in my rear end until I changed my fluid with Amsoil severe gear. What is odd is that it only had about 9k since last fluid change. I had metal shavings on my plug as well after I changed it but I think it was from where I cleaned my locker magnet. I checked it twice after oil change and now it is clean.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a lot of excellent work.

Redline notwithstanding, I’d change oil at 50% or so on the oil life monitor. Contaminants exist and circulate in increasing amounts between oil changes, no matter what oil they’re circulating in.

K&N I wouldn’t do, especially if you drive in dirt or dust.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Nice truck. I was having the same shutter in my rear end until I changed my fluid with Amsoil severe gear. What is odd is that it only had about 9k since last fluid change. I had metal shavings on my plug as well after I changed it but I think it was from where I cleaned my locker magnet. I checked it twice after oil change and now it is clean.
Thanks!

9K miles or kms? Either way that’s not much… I’ll know what it is next time it happens / if it does before my next fluid change. That’s another debate of interval for that haha.

Good point on the diff magnet, I’ll poke in there again tomorrow and see how it looks.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That’s a lot of excellent work.

Redline notwithstanding, I’d change oil at 50% or so on the oil life monitor. Contaminants exist and circulate in increasing amounts between oil changes, no matter what oil they’re circulating in.

K&N I wouldn’t do, especially if you drive in dirt or dust.
That’s a fair point, I’ll keep an eye on where that oil life monitor is next oil change at 116,000km. (Another 5000mi / 8000km), I’d rather do more frequent changes and save the engine.

I’ve heard so many mixed reviews on the K&N… I just just be used to the old sales pitch on them but I dive deeper in threads with guys swearing on cheap paper more often than oiled k&n. Not good for the newer engines / sensors? Maybe I’ll rip that outta there…

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Rear shocks on my 2015 pw. To say its apita is a bit of an understatement. The nuts on the top of the shaft was rusted solid. And you have to remove the inner fender liner to get at the top of the shock. Sawzall and a metal cutting blade to the rescue. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Up graded to 5100s no more rocking down the road nice and smooth now

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just replaced the upper cowl that covers the windshield wiper movement assembly, as mine was falling apart on the soft pieces on the edges. Not difficult, but definitely get or make a puller for the windshield wipers, as anything else is just going to mess them up.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Recently purchased a 2018 Power Wagon in Flame Red with 99,8XX KM, now at 108,3XX KM. Thanks to this forum, I've managed to do lots of the recommended fixes or upgrades but wanted to document my progress so far and see what else I can add to my to-do list and maintenance routine.

Engine oil changes every 8,000 KM with Redline synthetic 5W30 engine oil with WIX 57060XP filter. Also, grease the driveshaft and add fuel system treatment/cleaner to the tank.
Redline 75W90NS gear oil for the front and rear diffs. Cleaned off the locker magnets. I posted a comment on another thread here that the rear fluid change actually fixed a shudder I was experiencing when reversing slowly with wheels turned full lock either way.
Redline C+ ATF for the transmission with WIX 57055XP spin-on filter (wire wheel paint off) + hex internal metal filter adapter, and Mopar sump filter 0501347AE. Also got the Ultra Power (Rock Auto house brand) pan with drain plug # 265870, the same as Dorman.
Redline C+ ATF for the transfer case.
K&N engine air filter and cabin air filter.

Gates serpentine belt #K060795, Dayco idler # DY89133, Gates tensioner # ZO3823
Bosch Ceramic brake pads, front and rear.
New cab exhausters # 68323649AB... happy I did those. One flap on the old ones was going and I like the revised surround design to keep water out.

I had an issue with the winch not working - found a rotted-out pin on the remote connector. Got a connector from Lordco and made a fix then packed both ends with dielectric grease to avoid a repeat...

Tightened the cable nut on the starter - the truck randomly wouldn't start one day... love these forums though!

Third brake light gasket fix... Home Depot had the EPDM weather stripping.

Now for my current issues, and what else people can suggest adding...

I'm working on determining the tick... I think it's exhaust headers. Will post a video later if I haven't confirmed it or need help...
I have a vibration between 94-104 KM/HR that I can feel in the steering wheel. Tires are cheaper Nexen brand from the previous owner so maybe that's it?

After I changed the diff fluid in the rear, I did about 1000 KM and checked the plug... lots of fresh fine shavings. Will keep an eye one this.. seemed more than I'd like to see.

There's a reman tranny installed by the dealer at 60,*** KMS, and then a new shift solenoid done at 82,*** KMS. I know these 66RFE transmissions have issues... I ordered a Next Gen Drivetrains DIY 4.0 kit to install but returned it because it would certainly void my 3-year warranty if tranny went. Has anyone heard of these guys or have any thoughts? I am aiming to install this once the warranty is up... NEXT GEN DIY KIT 4.0

Recalls are all caught up, although I'll be reaching out to Ram Cares about the track bar "fix" with the welds. Does anyone know if they service customers in Canada?

Aiming to do the spark plugs and boots next...

So... thoughts? What's next!? These forums helped me catch a lot of little quirks with these trucks and I'm looking to fix anything I've missed.

Thanks!

A few "fun" things I did, painted the RAM badge black on the front. Got a new WARN pull strap for the winch cable clasp. Bison hard tri-fold tonneau cover and a ratcheting cargo bar.
Just pull the trigger and buy the replacement track bar on eBay. The new design cost me 130 bucks. It’s not worth fighting to get it for free.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just pull the trigger and buy the replacement track bar on eBay. The new design cost me 130 bucks. It’s not worth fighting to get it for free.
I was aware of the drag link recall and was about to go down the path of getting a new one from the dealer to replace the weld job they had already done to call it done…

Is there something similar with the track bar?

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was aware of the drag link recall and was about to go down the path of getting a new one from the dealer to replace the weld job they had already done to call it done…

Is there something similar with the track bar?
Sorry. I mean drag link. But yeah. Get a thuren track bar if yours is still stock.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t forget to clean up your winch.

Attachments

• IMG_9260.jpeg
    IMG_9260.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Don’t forget to clean up your winch.
I pulled my cable out and looked it over before neatly laying it back on the spool. Although spooning it up became a job because that’s when I realized one of the pins in the connector was rotted so I had to do some electrical work there before packing the socket full of dielectric grease.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Move your winch controller
The connector socket in the front bumper or is there something else you’re referring to on the winch itself? I was just replying to another post that I took the plug assembly apart after finding a pin rotted… that included rewiring, sealing it up on the back end, then packing with grease.

OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Took the plunge on LED bulbs. The halogens were pathetic to say the least. I couldn’t stomach the $200+ price for a set of 2 bulbs so I opted to hunt for a few days until I found a good option from SEALIGHT. Got some yellows for the fog lights, cool white for the high beam and projector low beams. I’ll update once they arrive and give my honest opinion of beam pattern, cut off, brightness etc.

https://www.amazon.ca/SEALIGHT-Yell...917&sprefix=sealight+h10+,aps,279&sr=8-3&th=1
https://www.amazon.ca/Headlight-Bul...3c-a3e28cc83677&pd_rd_i=B06ZZCR1V6&psc=1&th=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Took the plunge on LED bulbs. The halogens were pathetic to say the least. I couldn’t stomach the $200+ price for a set of 2 bulbs so I opted to hunt for a few days until I found a good option from SEALIGHT. Got some yellows for the fog lights, cool white for the high beam and projector low beams. I’ll update once they arrive and give my honest opinion of beam pattern, cut off, brightness etc.

https://www.amazon.ca/SEALIGHT-Yellow-Lumens-Replacement-Trucks/dp/B0CDQ2C8SN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=WDCF5P3O6U19&keywords=Sealight+H10&qid=1702131917&sprefix=sealight+h10+,aps,279&sr=8-3&th=1
https://www.amazon.ca/Headlight-Bul...3c-a3e28cc83677&pd_rd_i=B06ZZCR1V6&psc=1&th=1
New bulbs are in, happy with the results for the price compared to other companies that sell just one set of bulbs for $200.

The truck looks quite a bit nicer / cleaner / updated over the standard halogens that have that tired yellow tinge. New bulbs have good cut off and aren’t scattered all over. They also aren’t obnoxiously bright as I’ve seen some that do light up further down the road but seem to blind everyone else. There are brighter versions of the bulbs I got (updated with better LED chips sets), that include the canbus in the bulb assembly, but have a fan, so I opted for these… my thoughts were just less stuff to go wrong (if fans failed).

The game changer was the fogs in yellow. Love the look on the truck and the way they perform now that’s it’s snowing.

Worst part of all of this was disassembling the entire front end to get at bulbs. Not a biggy but still a PITA for what it should be.

Below are some pics… first couple ones are with just the new yellow fogs installed - you can see the tired halogens still in. IMG_8279.jpeg
IMG_8280.jpeg
IMG_8281.jpeg
IMG_8287.jpeg
IMG_8286.jpeg

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My 2018 doesn't have the miles yours has but I can definitely speak to the tire issue. I also had the vibration problem between 60 and 65mph. In addition the stock tires were becoming louder and louder, didn't really realize it until I started making regular road trips between NY and OH about a 1400 mile round trip and spending many hours driving at one time . They still had some tread to go but didn't seem to be wearing evenly (even with rotation), I swapped them out with some Falken's recently and the vibration is gone and can have normal conversations while driving again :)

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I’d say you’re next step is body armour rock sliders bumpers etc. what part of Canada are you in I’m in Edmonton Alberta Canada and we have a couple of other people from Alberta on the forum. Some of the things I have done to my truck are. Home made rock sliders and a topper lift and a spare tire carrier. Bolt in’s are a k/n air filter ( I like mine) and a Abel concept locker bypass’s a synergy drag link a phazer controller to compensate for the 35 inch tires( el cheapo Chinese)led headlights relocated the winch control and changed it to a remote control with new home made power cables to the battery maple off-road front diff protection dual steering stabilizers remove the resonator magna flow d-fit muffler. The rock sliders / steps are the best thing that I have added. Because it’s easier for the missus and the dogs to get in and out. And solar panels on the roof of the truck to keep the battery in the camper charged

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0525.jpeg
    IMG_0525.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
PowaaaWagoon

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My 2018 doesn't have the miles yours has but I can definitely speak to the tire issue. I also had the vibration problem between 60 and 65mph. In addition the stock tires were becoming louder and louder, didn't really realize it until I started making regular road trips between NY and OH about a 1400 mile round trip and spending many hours driving at one time . They still had some tread to go but didn't seem to be wearing evenly (even with rotation), I swapped them out with some Falken's recently and the vibration is gone and can have normal conversations while driving again :)
I bought the truck with some cheap Nexen AT tires on it and thought they may play some part in the vibration… did a tire rotation and bead reseat which seemed to help a good bit but I’ll be looking to get some 35” Toyo AT3 on there before winter 2024… how you liking the Falken? I’ve heard good things on those too.. I run the Toyo on my Jeep and am really happy with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat