Preemptive Battery Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Question and opinion (of which I think I know the answer, but would like your thoughts) —-
My 2020 RAM 1500(DT) Laramie with 39K on the clock - it‘s going to be sitting, parked away from home, for a month starting in late Aug. Do I need to be worrying about the life remaining on a 2+ year old battery and its ability to start the engine after a month of sitting idle. I have no indication of an issue now - battery charge shows good and all systems function - no issues. I just don’t want to arrive at the truck in late Sept at zero dark thirty and have a dead battery. Thoughts? Not an issue? replace it now? Concerned over nothing? Thanks much as usual…….

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pull your terminals , shouldn’t be any problem then .

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would use a smart battery tender to keep the battery at full capacity if it sits that long. My truck sits for a week at a time sometimes

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Any type of Trickle charges that require a power source won’t work since the truck will be sitting in an secure A/P parking lot for that month - no power source near by. My default is to have jumper cables in the bed ……. Or spring for a new batter? Or a 2+ year old battery is just fine.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My OE batteries (diesel 2x batteries) lasted 5 plus years and were a little slower to crank, but never died before I replaced them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pull your terminals , shouldn’t be any problem then .
^^^ this
When you park the truck, pull the negative battery cable, shouldn't have any problems. If you have a portable jump pack throw that in the truck just in case.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Your battery will not be a problem.
Example - I just replaced my 7 year old Eco OEM battery. It was starting the engine just fine but its voltage was dropping too low after sitting for several days.

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My December purchased 2019 RAM Laramie battery just went belly-up. Tried to jump start it with the charger, but get the so-called regular click click. Installed a new one and no issues. Put the charger on the dead one for several days and won't fully charge, just sits at 6 volts.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yesterday I went out to start my 2018 Ram, and got the "click click click". I tried a lithium jump starter, and it didn't help. Checked voltage and it was under 12 volts. The funny thing is, I had absolutely no indication that the battery was dying, and I was out working the day before, with about three stops.

Considering the battery is about 4.5 years from the date the truck was manufactured, that's not too bad. I decided to call AAA to come check it out, and they brought along an exact replacement, made by Interstate. Literally within 30 minutes from the time I called, I had a new battery installed for $193 + tax. Before he replaced it he tested it, and it had no cranking power at all, but he said my charging system was in good shape. I also feel lucky it happened on my driveway!

If you've never used AAA battery service, I highly recommend them. I've used them several times in the past. Good quality batteries at a reasonable price, especially considering they come out to you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Being as it will be parked in Public Parking, i would leave the battery posts connected.
If you do have a Jump Starter, give it a full charge & put it in the truck.
It used that you could lift up the IAT Fuse, but i don't know if that still works
That reminds me, my AAA Premier card has to be renewed
I thought that i had Auto Renewal, so i will drive over there this week, it is close to my credit union.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sitting for one month? I probably wouldn't worry about it at all. Have a jump box with you on it's first restart just in case.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thanks all. Like I posted, I pretty much knew the answer, but it’s comforting to get concurrence from others.