Problem with AMP Research power steps w/ plug n play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirt Dumb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for some help other than AMP tech support. I have a 2018 Ram Longhorn Limited. Installed Amp power steps completely per instructions and tech support help. Steps cycle fine when (2) purple trigger wire grounded to frame. Amp sent a second OBD II harness thinking that might be the issue. Installed it, and no joy. Tech support insisted I should have (2) green CANbus blocks on driver's side, I only have (1). The single CANbus block had (2) open ports and I tried both. Still no joy. Anyone run into this issue?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like they think you have a 19+ truck? Those have 2 green blocks, you only have one. Connector from OBD harness goes to the green block, 2 purple wires go to the loose leads on the OBD harness.

Anything else plugged into the OBD port?

OP
OP
D

Dirt Dumb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing else in the OBD port. Just got off phone w/ tech support, again. Now they think I may have a 2018 with 2017 wiring harness since the manufacture date was 10/17. If so, I'll have to buy a different OBD II harness. I won't mind as long as it works. I'm too far in with labor, cost, and headaches.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nothing else in the OBD port. Just got off phone w/ tech support, again. Now they think I may have a 2018 with 2017 wiring harness since the manufacture date was 10/17. If so, I'll have to buy a different OBD II harness. I won't mind as long as it works. I'm too far in with labor, cost, and headaches.

That very well could be. I went with the hard wired option on my 16 so I don't have a whole lot more to offer. Good luck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
That's why I hate the OBD2 install and prefer it hardwired .... I know tons of people who have issues with them installed using the OBD2 method ...good luck !

OP
OP
D

Dirt Dumb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2017 OBD harness doesn't include the (2) wire connector for the CANbus block. Supposedly uses a logic board inside the OBD plug itself. We will see, stay tuned for followup.

OP
OP
D

Dirt Dumb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it solved. I created this problem. Had my mechanic check my OBD port and found it didn't have power. When installing my LED headlights DRL harness, I needed a extra fuse. Guess which one I pulled by mistake thinking IT was a spare. Yep, The 10 amp Diagnostic Port!! Bad eye sight!! Anyway, the power steps work fine now.

KootenayCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you guys are talking hard wiring where are you tapping into for the two signal wires ?

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad you got it figured out! i just put the XL pwersteps on my 18 Sport and the install went smooth as butter. Up until I figured out AMP wired my driver side motor backwards. Door closed, step came out. That was fun.