Problem with sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomselectra225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E torque v6
I have a 2021 ram 1500 e torque v6 I am towing a 26 foot camper with a brand new blue ox weight distribution hitch and the camper seats the minute you get over 60 mph,I have tried it with the TCS on and off makes no difference. Looking for ideas or solutions.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the trailer dealer set up your WDH, that's your first problem.

Take the truck, trailer fully loaded for camping using the WDH to your local CAT scale. Weigh the combo and then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. That will give you the weights needed to determine the tongue weight percentage. You want about 10% to 12%, also return the weight lost on the front axle and the rear should be heavier than the front.
Another thing that can cause sway with a trailer is if the left or right side has more weight. The load needs to be centered and slightly forward of the axle(adjust for achieve good tongue %). Also the trailer should be pretty much level but doesn't need to be exact especially if this is a dual axle trailer.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the trailer dealer set up your WDH, that's your first problem.

Take the truck, trailer fully loaded for camping using the WDH to your local CAT scale. Weigh the combo and then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. That will give you the weights needed to determine the tongue weight percentage. You want about 10% to 12%, also return the weight lost on the front axle and the rear should be heavier than the front.
Another thing that can cause sway with a trailer is if the left or right side has more weight. The load needs to be centered and slightly forward of the axle(adjust for achieve good tongue %). Also the trailer should be pretty much level but doesn't need to be exact especially if this is a dual axle trailer.
^^^^^^^^
What he said! Don't worry, 'Crash' is only a nickname.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
When you say "sway when you get over 60" is it a constant sway the progressively gets worse or just random movement? If it's just random movement from wind or passing vehicles, and then settles back to straight, well, that's normal. If it's constant, as in you start to feel a rhythmic side to side movement, that's not normal. As mentioned above get to a CAT scale and check your weights.

I like to do 3 passes through the scale.

1. fully hooked up with WDH
2. hooked up without WDH
3. tow vehicle only

Number 1 will tell you how effective your weight distribution is, number 2 will tell you tongue weight of the trailer, number 3 will tell you unloaded axle weights of your truck.

Take your rear axle weight from #2 and subtract rear axle weight from #3 to get your tongue weight.
Add the tongue weight to trailer axle weight from #2 to get your total trailer weight, then you can do the math to figure out what percentage of total trailer weight is tongue weight. Move load around inside accordingly to get to that 10-12%.
Then adjust your WDH so that your front axle weight in #1 is as close as possible to it in #3.

Takes a little time, and a few trips over the scales, but once you get it dialed it should tow a lot better.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021 ram 1500 e torque v6 I am towing a 26 foot camper with a brand new blue ox weight distribution hitch and the camper seats the minute you get over 60 mph,I have tried it with the TCS on and off makes no difference. Looking for ideas or solutions.
I tow a lot. I don't understand what you mean "the camper seats". What does "seats" mean?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
1. fully hooked up with WDH
2. hooked up without WDH
3. tow vehicle only

Number 1 will tell you how effective your weight distribution is, number 2 will tell you tongue weight of the trailer, number 3 will tell you unloaded axle weights of your truck.

Take your rear axle weight from #2 and subtract rear axle weight from #3 to get your tongue weight.
You don't need the weigh with the WDH disconnect, just #1 and #3 is sufficient. The only thing #2 does is change how much weight is on what axle in comparison to #1. Using weights from #2 and #3 for calculations can give you the wrong answers, so either use 2 or 3 but not a combination of.
Also you use the total of the truck axle weighs of #1 subtracted from the total of #3 to get the trailer tongue weight. Then add the trailer axle weight plus tongue for the trailer total weight, divide that by the trailer tongue for the percentage.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It was supposed to say sways but autocorrect made it seats
Thanks, Tom. I honestly didn't get "sways" out of "seats". I thought it had something to do with the hitch "seating" on the ball, or something.