Problems with 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just want to start off saying hello and I love ram trucks.

I recently bought ram 1500 with 200 miles on it 2016 as a new car. At first it was great and ran perfectly fine. Then I got to 300 miles and the damn transmission has been struggling ever since.

It either goes in too low of a gear or will struggle to shift up into a higher gear making the truck lunge forward when it finally does. Contacting dealer tomorrow, was wondering if you folks have heard of this problem before?

I didn't drive it like it an ******* either have only floored it one time just to see what it could do. Was pleasantly surprised.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got about 3000 miles on mine and haven't had any issues as you describe. It might be a simple computer flash. Good luck.
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lemond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got about 3000 miles on mine and haven't had any issues as you describe. It might be a simple computer flash. Good luck.
Jay

What is a computer flash? :baby:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a computer update of your PCM.
Jay

Ljay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
picked up my 1500 sport in mid December and have about 3500 miles on it and the only problems I've seen are with U-connect remote start a few times. No tranny problems at all.

Ljay

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Big question, is it a 6 or 8 speed?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
picked up my 1500 sport in mid December and have about 3500 miles on it and the only problems I've seen are with U-connect remote start a few times. No tranny problems at all.

Ljay

Have you had these remote start concerns addressed by your local servicing dealership? Please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Are you babying the truck? The TCM is a learning computer. If you are driving like grandpa it's going to want to stay in the highest gear longer, causing lugging, and then suddenly drop 2-3 gears to get you going.

At least, that's how my truck acts after babying it for a while. If I drive spirited in tow/haul mode for a while all that goes away.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
9800 miles on my 2015 hemi 8 speed and it's perfect. In fact there is an updated flash which I would not let the dealer do. Leave well enough alone thank you.

OP
OP
L

Lemond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big question, is it a 6 or 8 speed?

I'm not sure :baby:
My salesman was very helpful and concerned telling me to get it to him right away.
I do drive like a grandpa mainly because I drive for a living. I'm used to putting safety first at all times while behind a wheel of a vehicle. :)
I'm sure they will get it all fixed up for me was just wondering what could be causing this
Also wondering if there has been some recall on lemon Rams if this is a common occurrence.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
My last ram (2014) was a 6 speed with the 5.7. I drive over a mountain every day and had very similar issues. It would bog down to about 40 before shifting, and rather than shifting to 4th at 45ish, it would wait and shift to 3rd. then accelerate too much so i would let off the gas (so i dont speed), then would bog down etc. always this downshift too much, then bog when going up decent hills. Would never downshift into 4th were it could just cruise up the mountain at 50-55. This cause me to hate driving the truck. Driving on flat ground you would never experience this. I traded it in for a 2016 with the 8 speed (same 5.7) and its night and day different (i test drove this combination over the mountain before buying). also has the 3.92 rear end. Shifts much more smoothly and goes to the right gear. If only it didnt have the lag on take off. Too new for a tune right now.

May be a separate issue than what you are dealing with.

OP
OP
L

Lemond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took it to dealership, car was driving fine no check engine. Now Sunday dealership is closed check engine light is on. Less than 500 miles... Engine error code is p1d95, p1d93 and p1d90. Does any one know what this means?

OP
OP
L

Lemond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_0045%201.jpg
Here it is in all it's 438 miles glory less than a week and the damn thing has to be towed to the dealership.(I payed for the towing, promises of being reimbursed. 81$) Had to take the day off work to, embarrassing to explain to my boss that my 2016 ram wouldn't even stay in drive kept going into park. He said "Should of got a Ford". Honestly just sick to my stomache and need to *****. Sorry, also I had the customers there watching the damn thing get towed in to the dealership with the temp plates still on it, very good advertisement for the cars they are selling. Brutally honest.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Took it to dealership, car was driving fine no check engine. Now Sunday dealership is closed check engine light is on. Less than 500 miles... Engine error code is p1d95, p1d93 and p1d90. Does any one know what this means?

Here is the breakdown on the codes. Obviously something is up with the transmission.

Tranny.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lemond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I'll give ram this much, they stood by the warrantee and didn't give me any ****. Told me they are replacing the transmission which I'm not happy about, would of liked it to of been all from factory and new. (Why I bought a new truck) They are also reimbursing me for the tow charges. I'm thankful for that, just going to make sure it's the 81 dollars and not the 40 the driver charged the company which charged me the 81.

Glad to see the error codes are all for the transmission, still doesn't make up for over revving my RPMs during my engines break in period. We'll see how that turns out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well, I'll give ram this much, they stood by the warrantee and didn't give me any ****. Told me they are replacing the transmission which I'm not happy about, would of liked it to of been all from factory and new. (Why I bought a new truck) They are also reimbursing me for the tow charges. I'm thankful for that, just going to make sure it's the 81 dollars and not the 40 the driver charged the company which charged me the 81.

Glad to see the error codes are all for the transmission, still doesn't make up for over revving my RPMs during my engines break in period. We'll see how that turns out.

I'm sorry to hear about this experience. Please let me know if you have any trouble getting reimbursed for the tow.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Could have called Chrysler Customer Care and had it towed for free. Food for thought in case you need a tow again while under the 3/36 warranty.

Hope it all works out for you. Sometimes chit happens, even with new product. New transmission isn't major surgery, at least.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If they are chucking another transmission in, my advice is to push to make sure they put in a factory new built one and not a re-manufacture one. They have legalese option in their warranty to put a re-manufacture one in for warranty repair but that is still not right in my book for such a low mileage failure.