Pulling someone out of snow question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
One, I'm 99.9% sure that's incorrect, and two, in 49 years of living in Alaska, pulling people out and being pulled out, I've never once seen a transmission, diff, or transfer case gear failure from pulling either forward or backward. Not in a full size Ford, GMC, Dodge, through S-10's all the way down to an all wheel drive Tempo. Never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's ok. Breathe. Casandra is 24. Bin there, done that. :favorites13:

jljbtm

Reaction score
The ring and pinyon gears are the hardest steel parts on the whole car/truck and usually never fail even if you dont change the oil (just dont run out of oil)

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

rankhornjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also gears don't have the same strength in reverse as they do in drive.

Huh?

Your more likely to break teeth off your gears in reverse. They are not designed to handle a lot of torque in reverse

yeah,i'm thinking the same ting

One, I'm 99.9% sure that's incorrect, and two, in 49 years of living in Alaska, pulling people out and being pulled out, I've never once seen a transmission, diff, or transfer case gear failure from pulling either forward or backward. Not in a full size Ford, GMC, Dodge, through S-10's all the way down to an all wheel drive Tempo. Never.

The ring and pinyon gears are the hardest steel parts on the whole car/truck and usually never fail even if you dont change the oil (just dont run out of oil)

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

Toyota 4Runner Technical Information

As you can see, the drive side of the gear tooth is nearly perpendicular to the direction that the pinion gear tooth pushes on it, making for an efficient transfer of force. The coast side on the other had, is angled away from the direction of force, this causes the pinion gear to want to "ride up" on the ring gear teeth under load, lessening the area of contact and moving it out towards the thinner ends of the teeth vs. the thicker root of the tooth. As such, it is generally the case that a ring/pinion gear set is 30% weaker when run in the reverse direction.

4x4 Axle Tech Info - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

This is because the teeth on the ring gear are cut with a "drive side" designed to take the loads better than the "coast side" or backside of the teeth

Dana 44 Axle Building - What

Designed initially for rear-drive applications, the standard-rotation (or low-pinion) axles run backwards when used in a front axle application. That puts the power on the coast side of the teeth, which is weaker than the drive-side.

This one from a gear manufacturer
Design – Reverse cut | KAM Differentials

The teeth on gear sets have both a drive side and a coast side. Usually the pinion should rotate the crown wheel on the drive side of the tooth. If however the pinion rotates the crown wheel on the coast side, strength of the gear set can be reduced by about 20%. In the front axle of a Land Rover, the gear set is running backwards, being driven on the coast side of the teeth rather than the driven side and as such is weaker.

I'm sure there are other articles on the subject...

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Learn something new every day. That said, still never seen a failure.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far I have only had to pull out two of my friends who did not own a four-wheel-drive who tried to make it to work. Granted the very horrible stock Goodyear tires did not make things any easier.

I always find these comments about the Goodyear SRA's interesting... some people claim they are garbage even on wet roads. My question is are you flooring the gas every time you leave a stop light? lol I have had zero issues with the SRA's in rain and I live in the PNW where we get a ton. It also has snowed a few times in the past couple weeks here and my truck handled the snow with ease on the SRA's as well. They seem like very solid stock tires to me. Much better than the stock ones on other cars I've owned that is for sure.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I always find these comments about the Goodyear SRA's interesting... some people claim they are garbage even on wet roads. My question is are you flooring the gas every time you leave a stop light? lol I have had zero issues with the SRA's in rain and I live in the PNW where we get a ton. It also has snowed a few times in the past couple weeks here and my truck handled the snow with ease on the SRA's as well. They seem like very solid stock tires to me. Much better than the stock ones on other cars I've owned that is for sure.

how many miles do you have on them so far? some where around 15-20k, they seem to go to **** real fast.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Learn something new every day. That said, still never seen a failure.

Knock on some wood.. Next week could suck
Someone is gonna chime in with pictures between now and the new year " Look what i did " lol
I've broken plenty of half shafts on GM"s- Even twisted one up so bad it ripped the third member in some spots- it had a few 1" to 3" tears through it.. Good times

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

hesrd the same about the stock GY HP. ran them for 45000 miles in NJ weaather. never had an issue.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
how many miles do you have on them so far? some where around 15-20k, they seem to go to **** real fast.

have to keep an eye on them after the first year, then see if anything decent goes on sale tire wise.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I use 4lo and went slow when I use to have 4wd. My stock good years absolutely sucked in the rain. But some how amazed me on the ice. Don't get out of control in 4lo.