One of those days....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Had one of those days yesterday, stopped at the grocery store, had to stop at the drugstore across the street, and as I'm going through the parking lot, ding! My passenger front tire at 31psi.

Hadn't gone 200 yards, 26 psi.

Sh*t. Hauled ass across the street, and got situated just in time, totally flat. Whatever I ran over didn't stay, so fast leak it was. Dropped the spare, got it switched, and it's low, 20 psi (my bad, I never remember to check).

So, I hook up my portable inflator, and it's running for a while, then it shuts off.

WTF! Blown fuse. I figured ok, gotta be spare fuses in the fuse box. (I have hardly opened it in the 7ish years I've had the truck.

Not one spare fuse in the box. What a kick in the nuts!

So, it was right at 30psi, so I drove home, and ended up fixing the flat and buying an assortment of fuses.

What an evening!

The moral of the story: Don't forget to check the spare, and alway have spare fuses......lol.

P.S. Just as I was finishing changing the flat, a nice lady brought me a ice cold bottle of water, so that was a bright spot amongst the other stuff.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I really expected there to be a few spare fuses in the fusebox, every other vehicle I've ever owned had them.

Not surprised, though. If mfgr's can save $1 per vehicle, the savings are huge across a production run. I guess I'm livin' in the past....lol.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It gets better....The fuses I bought are mini, not micro.....None at the local parts store, none at WalMart, plenty of all the others, but only 1 tiny spot for the ATR fuses....

Ed luck, plain and simple.

Will try another parts store tomorrow.

If I absolutely have to, I will order on amazon, but much prefer Bussman or LittleFuse to WangFong brand.

Last edited:

Jigs-n-Fixtures

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Had one of those days yesterday, stopped at the grocery store, had to stop at the drugstore across the street, and as I'm going through the parking lot, ding! My passenger front tire at 31psi.

Sh*t. Hauled ass across the street, and got situated just in time, totally flat. Whatever I ran over didn't stay, so fast leak it was. Dropped the spare, got it switched, and it's low, 20 psi (my bad, I never remember to check).

So, I hook up my portable inflator, and it's running for a while, then it shuts off.

WTF! Blown fuse. I figured ok, gotta be spare fuses in the fuse box. (I have hardly opened it in the 7ish years I've had the truck.

So, it was right at 30psi, so I drove home, and ended up fixing the flat and buying an assortment of fuses.

What an evening!

The moral of the story: Don't forget to check the spare, and alway have spare fuses......lol.

P.S. Just as I was finishing changing the flat, a nice lady brought me a ice cold bottle of water, so that was a bright spot amongst the other stuff.
And, before you need to use your spare, make sure the spare actually winches down. I had a Chevy work truck, and checked the tire pressure on the spare, but never actually tried to lower the spare down. Got a flat way out in the woods, on a poor excuse for a road, that went out to a lookout situated in a cherry stem in the wilderness. Luckily there was a fire going and dispatch was still staffed, and I could call for a tow truck, and requested one from the local Chevy dealer. Took three hours for him to get there. With two guys we could get the stem into the tire winch and lower the wheel. When we looked closely there was a guide bushing in the winch assembly which had not been fully inserted at the factory. When the tow truck driver asked where to send the bill, I told him that since it was an obvious warranty issue, to have the service writer call our fleet manager, and work it out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
sorry, new pocket compressors arent made like old ones, they will blow fuses more often then not, better off using a 20v battery pump or a pocket compressor that hooks straight to battery. 20v battery pump on my short list, I also blew a fuse recently. I have an old pocket compressors never blows a fuse but it is old, like 30 years.

They have some 20v batteries that can be charged with asc in the truck, I doubt charging a battery will blow a fuse.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It gets better....The fuses I bought are mini, not micro.....None at the local parts store, none at WalMart, plenty of all the others, but only 1 tiny spot for the ATR fuses....

If I absolutely have to, I will order on amazon, but much prefer Bussman or LittleFuse to WangFong brand.
Try your local dealer Ed,i have a good relationship with my local dealer,and the last time i needed a fuse,they gave me a couple,you might get lucky and find a partsman in a good mood,and he might give you 1.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember you can always swap a fuse from one not being used at the time, for instance a radio fuse or headlight fuse, during the day time into the slot of the blown one, just remember to swap it bavv CB k when done.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
dont want to do that you can blow that fuse as well, the issue is modern pocket compressors draw too much amps.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh man at least it inflated the tire enough for you to get home.

I keep one of these in the bed of my truck, best "what if" investment I've made for the truck. Definitely not cheap, but it will inflate one of our tires with ease. I've also been able to pump up a coworkers tire with a similar leak to what you described with enough air for them to get a short distance down the road to a tire shop. Its also really quiet. Highly recommend this compressor.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good reminder. Thx!

My tk's spare probably should be changed to a different tire, given it's age.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What an evening!

I got both combos of fuses (cartridge/mini/micro) in my lil (whatyoumacallit) box in truck. I had to order over the internet. But my dealer will sell U cartridge fuses U not paying $7 for a fuse, lol. Yeah, I gotta get busy one day and drop that spare and check it, since been up there since April 2018 when truck was built.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
dont want to do that you can blow that fuse as well, the issue is modern pocket compressors draw too much amps.
There's a bigger risk than blowing fuses to using a higher rated fuse. The value of the fuse is determined by the current rating of the circuit. Using a larger fuse than a circuit is rated for can result in damage to the actual circuit before a larger rated fuse might blow. Many of the 12v "cigarette lighter" sockets in modern cars aren't actually designed for the higher current needed for cigarette lighters to heat up. Which is why the air pumps are blowing fuses.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine

i bought a large box of assorted fuses off amazon...all amps and sizes...just in case

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I went to Advance Auto and got a couple assortments of the micro2 fuses, so I am good to go there.

I have noticed lately that Walmart seems to always be out of the stuff that they really shouldn't be. It must be their ordering system.

I should get some of the cartridge fuses as well, but fortunately I've not had any issues with those over the years.

I never remember to check the spare when I rotate my tires. Good thing though, since we are taking a road trip to NC in a couple weeks to see our Granddaughter graduate from high school.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i am going to be driving say 100 miles, my Jump Pack goes with me.
I have a couple of Suitcase compressors & old Craftsman Jump Starter w/ a compressor & hose hidden in it.

Before i drive back to Connecticut in late July,
i will do a complete Pre Op

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really expected there to be a few spare fuses in the fusebox, every other vehicle I've ever owned had them.

Not surprised, though. If mfgr's can save $1 per vehicle, the savings are huge across a production run. I guess I'm livin' in the past....lol.
I am sure mine has some sparse in the main box, Daughters car does.
If the fuse was in the compressor, they would be different anyway

When I use to carry small compressor back in the day, I always clipped it to the battery and kept the motor running, one of the Grandgirls has it as she is on a lot of country roads.
If I was getting another, I would be tempted to try out the new cordless one as I have lots of Milw. batteries, but if you run out of battery , then same problem, That reminds me ,wonder what my spare tire pressure is at?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got a ryobi about the size of a small drill , I already had an impact gun and several batteries,. That little compressor is great , highly recommend getting one to match your other tools , now I just need a car charger for these batts for that extra peace of mind.