PW-Will it survive after the merger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pick-ups are the bread and butter of FCA in america. ( did not look at numbers )
I sure hope so tho!

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^ Like mentioned above,

I don't think PSA buying them will have anything to do with axeing the PW (if it were to happen) but the low sales numbers will. It's a "niche" vehicle and when it is no longer profitable to produce they will stop, whether it is FCA or PSA.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
True, but the Power Wagon is an extremely low volume production Ram pickup. When a corporation needs to make up for some expensive merger costs, axing products which aren't in high demand can be tempting. The Power Wagon share of all Ram 2500s produced for the month of April 2019 was zero percent. Zero equates to nothing in profit. Although, a Tradesman 2500 with the Power Wagon package was probably tallied as a Tradesman.

https://moparinsiders.com/ram-truck-brand-production-percentages-for-april-2019/

You're either over thinking things or under thinking things, I'm not sure which but either way relax. I seriously doubt they're going to mess with the truck cash cow.

I'd love to see a hellcat powered VXR8 come from this merger. I kind of doubt it but it would be pretty cool.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Even if the power wagon doesn't make money manufacturers usually make the odd vehicle just to create excitement in the brand. Ram and Jeep are the companies bread and butter. Just drive by any dodge dealer and see whats on the lot. Yes I know vipers and the demon were discontinued and probably the biggest brand excitement vehicles they've made in recent years. Oh damn! Maybe the power wagon is next. Quick everybody buy one while you still can.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Don’t panic. There is a very important fact being omitted from that article: The power wagon was on restriction that month. They weren’t building ANY at that time.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Since the PW has been here since 1946, I think the charger or challenger would get cut first. I with Ford coming out with the Tremor, then there must be a good enough market for the PW still.

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is nothing to fear. With regards to M&A they are going to be taking a hard look at profit, margins, vertical and horizontal integration of product lines as well as liquid assets. The PW evades most of these problems with the simple fact it is a HD truck with minor differences from a standard production 2500 & 3500. Honestly, take a step back and think about what is truly different and exceptional with regards to production:

Lockers: Axles are same manufacture as standard truck - only adding in locker at axle manufacture - no big change as they all mount up the same. Wiring is only thing additional - click plug together and go.
Suspension: Coils and shocks yes this is a difference on the assembly line - a true PW exclusive - but the process is the same for all HD trucks - just different part#s
Winch: exclusive to PW - with only difference being in the cradle, mounting bolts, and a few wires to be connected to battery - nothing major
Transmission and Transfer case: now has become standard as other HD trucks - even less difference now of column shift and manual transfer case - production time decrease
Grille - assembles the same as other HD trucks - appearance only - no process change in production
Sway bar: exclusive - and already its separate "Smart bar" chip. Additional programming needed, but that cost is very minimal in production; once code is written it applies to all PW trucks.

I would be willing to wager that with regards to building the PW there is maybe an additional 15 min at maximum additional labor to build if that even. The truck already uses 98% of the same parts as other HD trucks.

The company would be looking at other vehicles that are duplicated as stated prior or that are complete exceptions to and of themselves.