Question About Fuel Blends

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey ya'll,
I see a lot of information around here about oil (and it's all really good stuff), but haven't really seen too much info about fuels. I live in SoCal and have 87, 89, and 91 octane fuels available and some with ethanol (like E10 blends). When I first got my 91 custom tune from Hemifever, I pulled a log and sent it to Sean. One of the things he said was that the fuel quality was really bad, and to try Shell, or BP. So I have been running Shell 91 octane with 10 percent ethanol for a while and wasn't really too happy with it....Just seemed to run a little rough. Anyway, I switched over to Mobile 91 (no ethal added, at least there were no placcards stating they added ethanol), and it really seemed to make a difference in the way it performed.

So my question is, am I crazy, or does an ethanol blend degrade performance somewhat? And if so, why?

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. It depends where they get the crude oil from. Middle eastern oil has a better quality than northern sea oil and gulf oil is somewhere in between. The quality has to do with the pressure the oil was underground, the plants, the oil was created by, the earth temperature and many more factors. Yes, it makes a difference.
But. In sock engines, you might see a difference in mpg for some 1/10, but that's all. With tuning you need higher grade anyway.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ethanol sucks, nothing more than fat farm subsidies, and govt. BS..

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He said my gas sucked also. Told me to run 91 fuel with the 89 tune

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey ya'll,
I see a lot of information around here about oil (and it's all really good stuff), but haven't really seen too much info about fuels. I live in SoCal and have 87, 89, and 91 octane fuels available and some with ethanol (like E10 blends). When I first got my 91 custom tune from Hemifever, I pulled a log and sent it to Sean. One of the things he said was that the fuel quality was really bad, and to try Shell, or BP. So I have been running Shell 91 octane with 10 percent ethanol for a while and wasn't really too happy with it....Just seemed to run a little rough. Anyway, I switched over to Mobile 91 (no ethal added, at least there were no placcards stating they added ethanol), and it really seemed to make a difference in the way it performed.

So my question is, am I crazy, or does an ethanol blend degrade performance somewhat? And if so, why?

Put simply, ethanol has less energy than gas. 1 gallon of ethanol versus 1 gallon of gas (ALL other things equal) will not burn as hot, or as long. To relate this to cars and trucks, it won't take you as many miles, or make as much power (again, ALL other things equal). So you WILL lose overall performance by adding ethanol to your gas - if you don't change anything else (like the engine tuning).

This article explains fairly well why ethanol is in gas: Why is there ethanol in gasoline?

Now, in forced induction world - E85 is great because it resists detonation VERY well. So well in fact, you're more likely to find out what the mechanical limits of your engine parts are before you get a warning from the knock sensor(s). So it's like running race gas all the time with F.I. at a much lower cost.
However it's tricky because the quality of E85 is all over the place, effecting the engines performance and reliability occasionally after you tank up. You also need a lot of "headroom" regarding mechanical strength of the engine, fuel injection, and have a turbocharger/supercharger capable of providing enough air to go along with everything else. Because of the lower energy available from high ethanol fuel, you have to first compensate for that (more boost/more ignition timing, better performance parts, ect), and then you can make a lot of power on top of that because of the ethanol's "high octane."

Really aggressive tunes for naturally aspirated engines can utilize the benefits of E85+ gas too, but it has seemed to be fairly limited and not worth the hassle for many people.

Sorry for the long post, I experimented with E85 tuning for a few years with my last turbo car.

OP
OP
jettajam1

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He said my gas sucked also. Told me to run 91 fuel with the 89 tune

Did you see any improvements by doing that?

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nope

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Where I live I'm lucky to get 91 period. There's only one place in town to get it and that's on the AF base I'm at.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He sent me a revised 91 tune and the power dropped from the original tune. And dropped more with the 89 tune

OP
OP
jettajam1

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put simply, ethanol has less energy than gas. 1 gallon of ethanol versus 1 gallon of gas (ALL other things equal) will not burn as hot, or as long. To relate this to cars and trucks, it won't take you as many miles, or make as much power (again, ALL other things equal). So you WILL lose overall performance by adding ethanol to your gas - if you don't change anything else (like the engine tuning).

This article explains fairly well why ethanol is in gas: Why is there ethanol in gasoline?

Now, in forced induction world - E85 is great because it resists detonation VERY well. So well in fact, you're more likely to find out what the mechanical limits of your engine parts are before you get a warning from the knock sensor(s). So it's like running race gas all the time with F.I. at a much lower cost.

However it's tricky because the quality of E85 is all over the place, effecting the engines performance and reliability occasionally after you tank up. You also need a lot of "headroom" regarding mechanical strength of the engine, fuel injection, and have a turbocharger/supercharger capable of providing enough air to go along with everything else. Because of the lower energy available from high ethanol fuel, you have to first compensate for that (more boost/more ignition timing, better performance parts, ect), and then you can make a lot of power on top of that because of the ethanol's "high octane."

Really aggressive tunes for naturally aspirated engines can utilize the benefits of E85+ gas too, but it has seemed to be fairly limited and not worth the hassle for many people.

Sorry for the long post, I experimented with E85 tuning for a few years with my last turbo car.

Great response there GP4L,
Seems like there could be "some" benefits, but requires some additional attributes. I think in my case, and my uneducated experience with ethanol blended fuels, I'm not seeing any benefits from using such fuels.

So then, are there differences between ethanol blended fuels and oxygenated fuels? Or are they one-in-same?

Last edited:

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great response there GP4L,
Seems like there could be "some" benefits, but requires some additional attributes. I think in my case, and my uneducated experience with ethanol blended fuels, I'm not seeing any benefits from using such fuels.

So then, are there differences between ethanol blended fuels and oxygenated fuels? Or are they one-in-same?

Well I wrote a thorough response, but I forgot to finish it, ended up doing other things, and my session expired and I lost everything I wrote. I'll try to make the same points..

Cliff notes: E10 has zero benefit. Legitimate sources and research can easily be found on the internet that provide all the data you'd need to understand it.

MTBE which was the first major fuel additive to replace lead back in the 70's was later found to be extremely toxic to humans, and was removed immediately. I'm a little fuzzy on when exactly E10 starting getting pushed into gasoline, but it happened too quickly, before the govt understood what would happen.

What happened, across the board, is: yes, adding 10% ethanol cleans up the tailpipe emissions of a vehicle. The oxygenation adding ethanol provides lowers CO, benzene, toluene, xylene, ethyl benzene, lowers hydrocarbon output, and lowers the "soot" or tinge of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. But, the same engine has to burn more fuel, than it would with straight gasoline. How much more fuel, can be anything from as low as 2-3% up to 25-30%. Does this offset the lower emissions per gallon? The answer is open for debate. But that aspect is small in comparison to everything else that's goes along with it.

It was also supposed to lower our dependency on foreign oil - yet keep purchasing oil at the same rate, and create a surplus driving gas prices down. This didn't happen for a myriad of reasons. Granted today we don't buy anywhere near as much middle east oil as we used to, their prices still manipulate all oil futures. And I'll avoid the controversial politics the best I can, but the "added instability" in the middle east post 9/11 did not help oil futures at all.

E10 (really the farming subsidies for E corn), depending on if you believe the earth is a flat circle or not, does produce toxic-to-human and agriculture emissions, during ethanol production. It also brought big politics into the mix - which, just like the middle east instability, is never a good thing. This also further increased the price of gas indirectly, because who pays for the subsidies to boost the E corn farming industry? I'll give anybody two chances to correctly answer that question, but I'm pretty confident that most will answer it right on the first try.

So, you, me, all of us, do the math... Yes, there's lower greenhouse emissions per gallon of E10 gas, but we need to burn more gallons to do the same work (making power, driving miles, ect). Plus the emissions associated with producing ethanol for gas. Did it really lower emissions overall enough to quantify the higher expenses of, not just gas, but the higher cost of cars today (because the manufacturers needed to R&D better engines to increase total efficiency, to compensate for the gas, and to stay competitive in the market), and the taxes we all paid to beef the industry up? In my opinion, based on years of being in the automotive industry, plus being (non-financially) related to a 8500 acre ethanol corn farm in central IL... No. My cousin, who owns the farm, will argue this with me to death, but E10 doesn't quantify it for me, or anybody else that doesn't have financial ties to ethanol and is educated on the matter. We also didn't get the benefits, the govt said we'd get, of lower gas prices at the pump... Looks like a fail to me.

However, a cool thing that came from the manufacturer side, was the engine tech that came from all this (even though we pay for it when we buy a new car). Example - 2002 Camaro SS, 325hp, 16/23MPG. 2015 Camaro SS, 426hp, 16/24MPG, and it's roughly 500 pounds heavier. Granted the bigger engine can be noted for helping the huge increase in power, but that extra air volume from the 6.2L (vs the 5.7) should = more fuel needed too. And it does. But the newer 6.2 *wastes* so much less energy than the older 5.7, it can achieve the same fuel economy for the heavier car, because it needs to work that much less to do the same work. The transmission plays a big part in this too. Newer transmission designs are SO much better than they used to be. Same thing applies to our trucks, and pretty much every vehicle sold today vs 5-10+ years ago.

Also - I'm a huge fan of E85-E100. Why? Because E85 costs about the same as regular gas, it could still be less, like it used to be in 06ish-2010/2011. And it's like running 110 octane all the time. You'll get about 20-35% more fuel consumption, but you can run around with a hot tune all the time. This is great for forced induction cars that are modified. I'm not going to get really crazy into that, besides saying I used to pay $15 bucks to "produce" (in my cousins backyard) 50-60 gallons of E100, and use that in the Evo 8 I used to take racing. Good times.

Modern ECU's will negate most of the difference between E10 and E0 gasoline in many-most stock cars, but jump over to the aftermarket tuning side of the house, where you can extract more power (efficiency - because factory tunes ALWAYS leave room on the table for safety, tolerance differences and reliability reasons) out of the gas you run. E0 will outperform E10.

OP
OP
jettajam1

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me that the additives in gasoline are necessary to control emissions, but also varies from state to state. It's a complex situation, and for me boils down to what works best in my vehicle. I'll continue trying different brands until I find the one that performs the best.

And I appreciate the great information posted.....thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: