fuel additives and octane ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep us updated on their reply about shipping costs RamDiver, it should be cheaper shipped to Ont ,then Alberta,but at least it'll give us an idea of whether they're worth ordering from.:waytogo:

Here's the dirt on buying Redline SI-1 from GBP Performance in Saint-Jérôme, Québec.

They replied to my email and politely informed me that the shipping rate would be displayed during checkout. LOL

The regular price is $24.59 and is currently reduced to $20.90 for a single 15oz bottle.
Shipping cost for 1 bottle is $11.99 or $12.99, your choice of Expedited or Express shipping.
I was taxed at the Ontario HST rate of 13%

For a 6-pack, the 20% off is from $24.59 or $19.67 per bottle. The shipping rate was the same as a single bottle, $11.99 or $12.99.

For a 12-pack, the 25% off is from $24.59 or $18.44 per bottle. The shipping rate increased by $1 for both shipping options, $12.99 or $13.99.

I was able to obtain these shipping costs without entering any payment info. I'd suggest you try the same process to determine the shipping costs and tax rates for your specific location. :cool:

For our Southern brothers, keep in mind these are CanadaStan $ and your bucks are worth much more, up here. I have no idea if this place can or will ship to the USA. :cool:

Then again, the product likely sells for half this amount at Walmart or any US auto parts place.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
According to amazon 35% off makes crc 21 bucks,.redline is 4 for 49, so if you can get amsoil pi for 12 bucks that would be another option. anyone selling crc cheaper then redline's 12 smokes? Preffered price amsoil pi is 12.99, so there ya go. Looks like we have a top 2 and a 3rd option that is a little high priced.

sorry for the canadian ram brothers, different animal.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to amazon 35% off makes crc 21 bucks,.redline is 4 for 49, so if you can get amsoil pi for 12 bucks that would be another option. anyone selling crc cheaper then redline's 12 smokes? Preffered price amsoil pi is 12.99, so there ya go. Looks like we have a top 2 and a 3rd option that is a little high priced.

sorry for the canadian ram brothers, different animal.

Yup, we live in a different world up here.

I often order scuba & auto stuff from US distributors, deliver to my mailbox in NY and take the 40-minute drive.

The $ exchange rate is a killer these days. The 4 for $49 at Amazon will still cost me $18.90 CanadaStan $ before adding gas and bridge fees.

Not to mention the potential of 13% HST tax at the border. It's always a hit or miss for anything under $150.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would say since it is relevant to the price this discussion is ok and not political, but this was canada betraying NAFTA in order to protect their businesses. It is why USA should toss that deal in the can, what was the point of NAFTA if one side can charge a harmony tax, lol??? The good news is most of the stuff we are talking about with hemi's and lubrication is going into canada and not visa versa which would create issues, but bad for you guys up north. But keep posting up, in theory you should be able to duplicate USA pricing plus hst tax? which wouldnt be that bad I guess.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say since it is relevant to the price this discussion is ok and not political, but this was canada betraying NAFTA in order to protect their businesses. It is why USA should toss that deal in the can, what was the point of NAFTA if one side can charge a harmony tax, lol??? The good news is most of the stuff we are talking about with hemi's and lubrication is going into canada and not visa versa which would create issues, but bad for you guys up north. But keep posting up, in theory you should be able to duplicate USA pricing plus hst tax? which wouldnt be that bad I guess.

If the $ exchange rate would ever return back to even 'close to par', all would be great again, at least for smaller $ value purchases.

If your total spent amount is about $150 or less, they usually wave you through at the border. Naturally, this arrangement can vary with the different border guards and the planet alignment.

I suppose they don't want the added work unless the 13% HST amounts to more than the cost of the paperwork.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Two vehicle assembly plants and an aluminum casting plant. I don't get what the deal is with these cross NAFTA taxes, but wth do I know.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Due to a continuing decline in Top Tier Gasoline Stations in Twin Cities, MN area (being bought up by cheapo gas companies), imma gonna have to keep gas detergent additive with me. I posted about Top Tier Gas 2024 on a new thread.

Was out shopping, a 15 oz bottle of Red Line PL-1 fuel additive is 30-40% PEA concentrate by volume.
A 15 oz bottle of CRC Total Fuel System Additive is 20-30% PEA concentrate by volume.
According to their Safety Data Sheets online.
These are the only fuel additives I can find that contain proven PEA fuel detergent.

Both sell app. same price. Went out on eBay and bought some Red Line PL-1.

Reminder - Chevron, the inventor of PEA with Techron, no longer has PEA in their fuel cleaner. According to their Safety Data Sheet online. I don't know what they've done, but I've seen no evidence or data their new stuff cleans as well as PEA.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Good luck finding "Top Tier" gas in Iowa either...
Around here it's Kwik Star (Trip) or Casey's.
I used to run 87w/10% eth when it was my daily driver and I was just burning through it.
Now it sits in the garage most of the time so I started using 91 no eth.
Cost $.90 more/gal but I do get better mileage.
I still add a can of this every oil change though...
OIP.jpg

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
PL-1 or SI-1? I use SI-1 at every 5K OCI. Thx

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Good luck finding "Top Tier" gas in Iowa either...
Around here it's Kwik Star (Trip) or Casey's.
I used to run 87w/10% eth when it was my daily driver and I was just burning through it.
Now it sits in the garage most of the time so I started using 91 no eth.
Cost $.90 more/gal but I do get better mileage.
I still add a can of this every oil change though...
View attachment 535146

Illegal in Minnesota to use nonoxy gas in cars and trucks.
Yeah, in flyover country corporations don't give a rip about we few that live here.
Do you have Cenex there? They've always been Top Tier and still are today. They serve Ag communities.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Anybody wanting to dig into Top Tier requirements further, here they are from their website.
They've tightened up their criteria via revisions, I quoted the most recent below, from 2019.

Seems fairly stringent qualification criteria to attain Top Tier Certification, I didn't read the whole thing to see if audits are conducted and enforced.

Top Tier Gasoline Revision F October 2019
4.1 An approved additive package at the correct treat rate must be used at all grades of gasoline at a station vs. all gasoline must meet the standard.

4.3.1.2 Minimum aromatics changed to 15% from 28% as it is difficult to obtain fuel with over 28% aromatics.

4.3.3.2 Valve sticking test concentration changed from 2 times to 3 times to align with allowable treat rate range.

5. Updated language to reflect the process to obtain TOP TIER approval. Added additive company as a submitter and also removed reference to licensing- which is handled separately.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Additive that seems to work well is Redline SL-1. I use it every 3-4k.
I will be pulling my heads off for a cam/lifter upgrade in a couple of weeks so we will see how good it actually is.
Redline has some of the highest concentration of PEA (polyetheramine) of any cleaner on the market. I use this in all of my vehicles. Don't bother with cleaners without PEA.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've ran 2 bottles of this through my 300,and it seems to be a pretty decent product.It's easy to get in Canada,as Canadian Tire carries it,was the biggest reason i tried it.Whether it's as good as Redlines cleaner i don't know,as i've never tried Redlines fuel system cleaner,as it's a bit harder to find up here.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've ran 2 bottles of this through my 300,and it seems to be a pretty decent product.It's easy to get in Canada,as Canadian Tire carries it,was the biggest reason i tried it.Whether it's as good as Redlines cleaner i don't know,as i've never tried Redlines fuel system cleaner,as it's a bit harder to find up here.

Says "Not for sale in the United States"
SDS shows it contains PEA.

*Must* be good stuff. ;)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Says "Not for sale in the United States"
SDS shows it contains PEA.

*Must* be good stuff. ;)

That's because the link is to the Canada site, not the USA site.

Who knows if there's any recipe difference.

The USA site showed lower PEA concentration than Red Line. Do the math to figure out which costs less per amount of PEA you get.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's because the link is to the Canada site, not the USA site.

Who knows if there's any recipe difference.

The USA site showed lower PEA concentration than Red Line. Do the math to figure out which costs less per amount of PEA you get.

Thanks for that extra info.
With something like this, something typically purchased in relatively small quantities, cost is not much of a concern for me.

Once the better product can be determined, that is what I am most likely to purchase.

Redline also seems to be hard to find in the U.S. as well. Online or nothing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357