fuel additives and octane ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I get Redline S1 for $12.42 a bottle (2 pack for $24.43) subscribe & save on Amazon. The CRC from Amazon is $22.58. @Wild one no more "wandering" Lol.
I wish i could buy stuff at Stateside prices,lol.Being north of the border hurts at times ;)
It's actually more on Canuck Amazon,then it is at Canadian Tire by a little over a buck,$34.64 at Crappy Tire,$35.88 on Amazon.ca.Beauty of Crappy Tire is it's on the shelf,no waiting,lol

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish i could buy stuff at Stateside prices,lol.Being north of the border hurts at times ;)
It's actually more on Canuck Amazon,then it is at Canadian Tire by a little over a buck,$34.64 at Crappy Tire,$35.88 on Amazon.ca.Beauty of Crappy Tire is it's on the shelf,no waiting,lol

Is this the Redline with PEA?

$27.95 for a single 15oz bottle.

The price for 4 bottles is about $21.24 each.

Better return that jug of CRC to CTC. :cool:

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L

I worked in Windsor for 3 1/2 years. Canadian prices are high even before VAT. I only use the fuel additive at every oil change 5K OCI. I'm able to use Top Tier gas exclusively as well.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I worked in Windsor for 3 1/2 years. Canadian prices are high even before VAT. I only use the fuel additive at every oil change 5K OCI. I'm able to use Top Tier gas exclusively as well.

They call our added tax here GST.

Our Amazon.ca prices are usually anywhere from 30% to 100% more than the Amazon.com prices.

And, we can get Top Tier gas at Costco but no more ethanol free gas in Canada, thanks to our supreme ruler.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
None (additives), never have. Haven't had problems either.

Except gas line antifreeze sometimes in my plow Jeep

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The vast majority of the time I had always just used the lowest grade (87 octane around here) E10 at whatever station is the cheapest. Previous truck was 16 years old with 150k miles when I traded it in and the engine still ran great. Have had several other vehicles in the family with well over 100k miles on them with no issues always running 87 E10. That is also what I have always used for my small engines (SxS, ATVs, several lawnmowers from larger garden tractors to push mowers). Currently have two riding lawnmowers that are both over 20 years old. One has a 20 HP Kawasaki V-twin and the other is a 15 HP Briggs. Again, always 87 octane E10 and never any additives. The only fuel related issue was the float seat leaking on the Briggs....but again, it was over 20 years old when it happened. Also have a 7 HP Honda push mower that is at least 15 years old and only gets used a few times a year. Took about 6-7 pulls this spring after sitting for around a here, but fired up and ran good.
For fuel economy differences between ethanol and pure gas. On paper you should get better fuel economy on pure gas because it has higher energy content. Pure gas has 33% higher energy content and PURE ethanol, however E10 is only 10% ethanol. So by simply math E10 gasoline is only around 3% lower energy content than pure gas.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These guys are out of Quebec and have it cheaper then Amazon.

Cheaper is always better. :cool:

I just placed an order to Amazon for a few items with free shipping, including 1 jug of Redline SI-1.

I looked over the website you listed above and can't locate shipping costs but did send them an email request to confirm both cost and availability.

A good catch, if the shipping doesn't cost more than $6 or $7. :cool:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Again, I always use 87 octane E10 and never any additives.

Same here! No problems. All 87 Octane around here has had ethanol since the 80's or early 90's. Some of my vehiicles sit maybe a year too w/o being driven. There's a lot of internet hype. IDK, I've read the voodoo and think, "Really? Why haven't I experienced any of those problems?" I just put gas in and go. And mowers/chainsaws too. Never used any stabil..ever. Haven't had problems whatsoever.

There was one time I got a big shot of water at a far-away truck stop, in a classic car. And that sucked. But that was a one-off deal over 25yrs ago. Business must have been slow that month! LOL

But maybe things act different in fuel in other climates.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Damn you,lol. I was wandering around my local Canadian Tire this evening,and they had the CRC on the shelf,and i thought of you as i grabbed a bottle to try out.Between you and Mike i'm gonna go broke keeping up with these fixes in a bottle,lol. At $35 a bottle it's cheaper then the RMI that's $55 a bottle though,lol

Payback for making me re-torque my intake manifold bolts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Cheaper is always better. :cool:

I just placed an order to Amazon for a few items with free shipping, including 1 jug of Redline SI-1.

I looked over the website you listed above and can't locate shipping costs but did send them an email request to confirm both cost and availability.

A good catch, if the shipping doesn't cost more than $6 or $7. :cool:

Keep us updated on their reply about shipping costs RamDiver, it should be cheaper shipped to Ont ,then Alberta,but at least it'll give us an idea of whether they're worth ordering from.:waytogo:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep us updated on their reply about shipping costs RamDiver, it should be cheaper shipped to Ont ,then Alberta,but at least it'll give us an idea of whether they're worth ordering from.:waytogo:

Will do.

They did also offer a 20% discount for 6 bottles or 25% for 12. One bottle is $20.94 .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

So I am glad I found this test and when you peel apart the onion it reveals some of the facts we have discused here before.

His conclusions are at 17:50 mark and his words Gumout, amsoil and redline did the best, why?

Kinda simple, those three are the PEA cleaners.

So lets discuss some other aspects or shortcomings of this test, the glaring issue is these products are mixed with gas. Which means we know for a fact putting a solvent in gas at a treat rate of 1 per 128 as in one ounce of product per gallon of gas which is the treat rate that solvent will do no cleaning. He mentioned something very helpful at the end without realizing the significance, "look at how much there products evaporated". That is your solvents, and as you see amsoil and redline and lucas didnt evap, because they are all oil based. Lucas is just mineral oil and amsoil and redline are oil based PEA products which separates them from the field. We know lucas quiets top ends, I felt this myself everytime I used it, why.. Because oil even at a treat rate of 5 ounces per tank of gas survives that mix with gas, mmo as well light solvent in oil quiets engines, as does redline and amsoil but of course those two also clean. Here is the % PEA in gumout tune up and as you see it is alcohol based as is sea foam. It is 10 percent in fum out and as we know it is over 25% in redline and amsoil. But the other two are in oil and gumout is in alcohol.

I would wager an oil based PEA cleaner will survive mixing with gas similar to what lucas does, and well alcohol is just gonna become part that fuel mixture and not have any effect on the top end. It is a different conversation if it is about putting a solvent even alcohol directly on a spark plug versus mixing it with fuel. Just as we see with 2 stroke oil, oil based anything survives mixing with gas and finds it's way through the engine.

So imo you need oil base to survive the mix and with your own eyes you can see the difference between just oil as in lucas, or oil plus PEA as in redline and amsoil pi.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mental gymnastics people perform around ethanol-horror religion is just wild .. it's "bad" because it contains oxygen but let me spend a fortune on intake modifications and boost because... Oh yeah.

It's "definitely" going to ruin your engine but 95% of everyone just fuels up with the overwhelmingly most common fuel - e10 - and if you can prove just one car in any random wrecking yard arrived there as a result of E10 I'll eat that whole car.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm fortunate where I reside. I can purchase 91 octane ethol free fuel and do so because I can. It's about $1.50 higher price wise, but no matter as I'm at peace of mind.

As long as the ethanol free gas is readily available, I'll keep using it in all of my gas powered vehicles/lawn equipment ... and I've used Lucas Upper Cylinder/Fuel Injection Cleaner for many years without any problem ... well, anyways, not yet.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And now CRC as well.

You guys are plain awesome, now we have a third player should be on top with redline and amsoil, 20-30% PEA and they use diesel number 2 as a base, how cool is that? I like it, thanks, I am limited in my keeping up because I am allergic to some of the places where this info is being shared, I get a rash bad for reading that garbage, lol. But yeah you guys nailed it crc looks good on msds. If there is a 4th player perhaps RP treats, but I kinda like the top three better.

I'm not sure what we are talking about with ethanol, we are talking about cleaning injectors and combustion chambers? Clearly there is a need for a gas additive if you look at boroscoped engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517