fuel additives and octane ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what types of fuel additives do you guys use on your Hemis? What injector cleaner? Does anyone use an octane booster? What type of gas? ie: regular (10%) or non-ethanol?

I switched to non-ethanol, but it's like a $1 more per gallon. Truck seems to run better and i get better milage (nothing great...maybe +2-3 mpg. Not sure if it's worth it.

I'd like to add injector cleaner, but there's so many out there, i just want one that works. Any suggestions? We're taking it on a 600 mile trip so i thought this would be the best time to throw some in.

Back to fuel...what octane do you prefer in the Hemi? Does an octane booster actually do anything other than take your money?

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Use top tier gas, and you don't need to add anything.

The OP mentioned 2-3 MPG better without ethanol, I call BS..............
These trucks were designed to run on ethanol blended gas.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The OPer is not the only one to have reported improved mpg with non-ethanol gas.

Do you think a corn additive has the same energy as gasoline?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Every Mopar vehicle my wife and I have owned over the past 20 years has gotten much better mpg (1.5 to 2 mpg) with 100% pure gas compared to 10% ethanol blended gas, I lived in north Iowa for many years, know people who work in the plants, they told me that once ethanol its put in to the train tank cars it starts too deteriorate unless it was treated with stabilizers and the ethanol plants do not put stabilizers additives in the rail cars to help keep it from going to :poop: ...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes, the fuel system and the engine are both designed to handle ethanol-laced fuel as well as a range of octane levels (octane is not energy) but don't be so quick to call BS until you take a look at what ethanol is.

You can do your own research but in short, ethanol has less chemical energy than gasoline. When you have less chemical energy per ounce then you have to pass more ethanol-laced fuel through the engine to achieve the same results with respect to pure gasoline.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what types of fuel additives do you guys use on your Hemis? What injector cleaner? Does anyone use an octane booster? What type of gas? ie: regular (10%) or non-ethanol?

I switched to non-ethanol, but it's like a $1 more per gallon. Truck seems to run better and i get better milage (nothing great...maybe +2-3 mpg. Not sure if it's worth it.

I'd like to add injector cleaner, but there's so many out there, i just want one that works. Any suggestions? We're taking it on a 600 mile trip so i thought this would be the best time to throw some in.

Back to fuel...what octane do you prefer in the Hemi? Does an octane booster actually do anything other than take your money?
Additive that seems to work well is Redline SL-1. I use it every 3-4k.
I will be pulling my heads off for a cam/lifter upgrade in a couple of weeks so we will see how good it actually is.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I'm tuned and supercharged so I'm kinda locked into premium fuel. However I do see a mileage improvement with real gas vs ethanol gas. Both types provide the necessary octane to prevent adverse issues such as pinging and such.

My point, the difference I see is 1 to 2 mpg with real gas, time and time again. My driving style is not conservative so if I'm seeing it, regardless of cost, I have to believe it's happening. Doesn't mean I've calculated the cost.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
We do know that it burns cleaner.

Before our crackpot pm flipped his lid and ordered that all gas must contain ethanol, I bought nothing but non-ethanol premium fuel for all of my small engines.

I don't think we can buy ethanol-free gas in Canada anymore.

You can buy ethanol free race gas from VP / Fury / Renegade etc. but it's exorbitantly priced.Supposedly you can still buy it at some of the boat docks,but being a landlocked Albertan who doesn't own a boat or go boating,i can't confirm that,lol

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can buy ethanol free race gas from VP / Fury / Renegade etc. but it's exorbitantly priced.Supposedly you can still buy it at some of the boat docks,but being a landlocked Albertan who doesn't own a boat or go boating,i can't confirm that,lol

LOL, I wish I could afford to buy race fuel for my truck.

Then again, if I had that kind of money, I'd be living somewhere else that would most likely still sell ethanol-free gas. :cool:

There are marinas in Brockville and elsewhere on the St. Lawrence River that sell marine fuel but AFAIK, it costs more or less, double the pumped price. Most of the dive boat charter operators I've known, fill their boats with jerry cans filled at the gas station.

Marine fuel is for travellers or rich folk. LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Additive that seems to work well is Redline SL-1. I use it every 3-4k.
I will be pulling my heads off for a cam/lifter upgrade in a couple of weeks so we will see how good it actually is.
Post some pics on that. I do not use additives in Hemi, unless I thought I got some bad gas somewhere and needed to say put in a dryer.

I did use additives in my ED, to raise the Cetane levels because of all the "bio" BS.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We do know that it burns cleaner.

Before our crackpot pm flipped his lid and ordered that all gas must contain ethanol, I bought nothing but non-ethanol premium fuel for all of my small engines.

I don't think we can buy ethanol-free gas in Canada anymore.

Dang ethanol always eats up my lil gas motors, like weed eaters etc. I just gave up and got a battery op weed eater, and have extra batteries. On my STIHL products, per manufacturer, lowest grade fuel to operate is 89. Now, I could buy those 1 gallon cans of fuel U see offered, but on a chain saw, not real economical.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a solid blade on my line trimmer for more than a decade and I'd bet they don't make a battery-powered version. :cool:

My neighbour holed out the piston on his Husqvarna chainsaw a few years ago. The repair shop said it was ethanol-related.

Apparently, there is higher oxygen content in ethanol which results in the motors running too lean, especially small motors without a computer-driven mix control.

I bought a jug of the fancy pre-mixed gas for a test, with a problem I'm having with my chainsaw.

IIRC, it was $13/litre.

3.8 litres=1 imperial gallon
$13*3.8=$49.40

I cut my own wood for my primary heat source and don't plan to buy any more of that expensive fuel.

Our trucks may have sufficient brains to adjust to a certain % of ethanol, but that doesn't suggest using ethanol is useful, prudent, or promotes longevity.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dang ethanol always eats up my lil gas motors, like weed eaters etc. I just gave up and got a battery op weed eater, and have extra batteries. On my STIHL products, per manufacturer, lowest grade fuel to operate is 89. Now, I could buy those 1 gallon cans of fuel U see offered, but on a chain saw, not real economical.
Really? I just buy the cheapest gas at the pump and run it in everything - chainsaw, weedeater, leaf blower, mower, truck - and I've never had an issue. And all of those tools are about 10 years old, except the chainsaw, and that's about 15 years old. (I'm sure I just jinxed myself)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really? I just buy the cheapest gas at the pump and run it in everything - chainsaw, weedeater, leaf blower, mower, truck - and I've never had an issue. And all of those tools are about 10 years old, except the chainsaw, and that's about 15 years old. (I'm sure I just jinxed myself)

Do you mix your own 2-stroke fuel for your chainsaw with that gas?

Better keep it on the rich side if you're using ethanol-tainted gas. :cool:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you mix your own 2-stroke fuel for your chainsaw with that gas?

Better keep it on the rich side if you're using ethanol-tainted gas. :cool:

Yes, everything is Stihl so it all takes 50:1. I've always just fired everything up every month - or two - and run them for a few minutes. The only issue I've had was 2 years ago when the little fuel bulb on my leaf blower cracked.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, everything is Stihl so it all takes 50:1. I've always just fired everything up every month - or two - and run them for a few minutes. The only issue I've had was 2 years ago when the little fuel bulb on my leaf blower cracked.
Just FYI, the new STIHL products, specifically the chain saws now recommended 89 octane fuel to operate. SO, when I get gas in all cans, just get 89. Runs chain saw, riding mower, and I fuel with 89 on the RAM ne way, keeps it simpler. I luv the KISS principle.

ADDED: Before U chime on it, yes fuel for chain saw in different can with oil mix. 5 gallon for storage, 1 gallon which I fill from the 5'er for chain saw and another 1 gallon for push mower. (Not remember if it was 40-1/50-1 for chain saw, would have to look).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357