Question and concern...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wanted to tune up my truck and know that my throttle body needs cleaning desperately. I began by taking off the stock air intake system. Then I got a little worried about some oil i found in the air resonator box.

My question is what does this sensor do (first pic)?

My concern is about the thin layer of oil (in the last 3 pics)... Was wondering if this is normal or an issue I need to address?

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 17

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
The sensor is the intake air temp. Your throttle body does not look that dirty. A small amount of oil is alright. excessive ammounts are reason to be concerned. It just looks too me like you need to do a good engine cleaning and that is all. Remove the air resonator and clean it up real good reinstall it then clean the engine bay real well. Just do not use a pressure washer. Too much pressure can push water into places where it does not belong, and cause all sorts of headaches. A garden hose and a bucket with some dawn in it will wok wonders. If you need something stronger then use some engine degreaser from an auto parts store. But be sure the motor is cold before starting this. Trying to clean the engine while it is hot will just bake the dirt and grime onto it.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The sensor is the intake air temp. Your throttle body does not look that dirty. A small amount of oil is alright. excessive ammounts are reason to be concerned. It just looks too me like you need to do a good engine cleaning and that is all. Remove the air resonator and clean it up real good reinstall it then clean the engine bay real well. Just do not use a pressure washer. Too much pressure can push water into places where it does not belong, and cause all sorts of headaches. A garden hose and a bucket with some dawn in it will wok wonders. If you need something stronger then use some engine degreaser from an auto parts store. But be sure the motor is cold before starting this. Trying to clean the engine while it is hot will just bake the dirt and grime onto it.
^^X2. The small tube is your crankcase vent. What's it vent? Gases from your crankcase including oil vapor.

The oil condenses as it cools and pools in your air box and intake piping.

If you decide to remove and clean your TB do not use TB cleaner--it will short it out. Use break cleaner.

OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so how concerned should I be about getting electrical components wet with the garden hose and soap? Hell most of everything in the engine bay is electrical it seems.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
As long as you do not spray the water at high pressures on the electrical connectors it will be ok. Most of the connectors are sealed but not very well. If you want to you can use some di-electric grease, disconnect each connector one at a time, coat the rubber seal with the grease, then reattach the connector. That will further waterproof and protect the electrical connections. I suggested dawn because it will break down the grease better than most other cleaners without leaving a residue. Be careful take your time, and do the job right the first time and everything should work out.

OOPS forgot this: AVOID AT ALL COSTS THE FUSE BOX. Hitting that can cause a ton of problems. If you really need to clean the top of it off then use a wet rag to wipe it off. Do not directly spray the fuse box with water.