Question: Can the rear seat back on Bighorn Crew Cabs be released/fold down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I've seen a couple of threads on this but I can't seem to figure this out.

I know that the rear upper seat back in the crew cabs - at least in the Bighorn - is not really considered a fold-down type unit. That said, the seat moves up and down when you fold the lower cushion in and out, and it occurs to me that there must be some kind of hook or bar that the rear seat is attached to on the firewall to allow it to move when the seat bottom moves.

I've seen a couple of threads where people referenced some kind of pull string behind the seat that you can pull in order to release the seat back from its attachment point (hook, bar, whatever). I don't see these things anywhere. So my question is:

1. Where are these things on my truck (Bighorn)?
2. If they don't exist, how does the rear seat come out of the vehicle?

What I'm hoping to do is be able to release it when I want, maybe with some kind of mod, so that I can access the area behind the seat for storage the same way I used to with my Titan.

Thanks!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Some remove the rear seat and raise it with washers. I modified the rear seat hooks by cutting off approx 5/8". Allows rear seat to fold forward and lock when put back upright.

Here's a pic of a hook:

Rear-Seat-Hook-Original.jpg

Here are pics of a modified hook

Rear-Seat-Hook-Modified-1.jpg
Rear-Seat-Hook-Modified-2.jpg

kvDGRk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
hmmm, I like that idea.
what does it look like behind the seat on the rear wall?

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some remove the rear seat and raise it with washers. I modified the rear seat hooks by cutting off approx 5/8". Allows rear seat to fold forward and lock when put back upright.

Thanks! That gives me a couple of more questions:

1. What does raising the seat with washers accomplish? I assume when you lift up the cushion, it brings the seat back high enough to clear the hook? Or does it do something else?

2. How do you get the seat loose of the hook in the first place?

3. I assume cutting off the end of the hook allows the seat to fold forward when you have the seat base up? Or do you get it to fold down some other way?

Thanks for the pics, btw. That's quite helpful in figuring out what I should be looking at back there.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
1. What does raising the seat with washers accomplish?
Instead of cutting the hooks, you are raising the seat approx 5/8"
I assume when you lift up the cushion, it brings the seat back high enough to clear the hook?
You assume correctly.

2. How do you get the seat loose of the hook in the first place?
You have to unbolt it so you can slide it forward to access the hooks.

3. I assume cutting off the end of the hook allows the seat to fold forward when you have the seat base up?
Again, you assume correctly

Reactions: JB1

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The only problem I have with raising the seat the 5/8” is with this version of the mod is the seat bottom will not lock in the upright position.
I think I’m gonna have to reverse this mod and cut the hooks.
I love being able to fold the seat down. I have a lot of gear stowed back there.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really need to do this mod

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
SO about how muck room is there behind the seat ?If it makes a difference I have a Quad Cab ! Can you install a rifle rack ? Thanks

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SO about how muck room is there behind the seat ?If it makes a difference I have a Quad Cab ! Can you install a rifle rack ? Thanks

As you can see in PowrRams poc there is a insulator back there that would need to be removed. A rack MAY fit down low, there's more space low

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As you can see in PowrRams poc there is a insulator back there that would need to be removed. A rack MAY fit down low, there's more space low
Thanks, When our temps stay far away from 15*f I will lift the seat up and check how much I have in the Quad cab . Hoping to find out the lazy way and find out from my chair lol

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, When our temps stay far away from 15*f I will lift the seat up and check how much I have in the Quad cab . Hoping to find out the lazy way and find out from my chair lol

This may help lazy man...lol
Driver side folded foreward and pass side all the way back. As you can see not much room without removing the formed felt(?) backing. Hope that helps Rado

20190126_070316.jpg

20190126_070306.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With seatback in up position there's approx 6" but lowering seatback to down position there's 3...on pass side

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No noises just wanted to keep the plastic intact. Not sure of the rubbing so thought better safe than sorry

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the pictures everyone; it looks like this might be a mod that doesn't have all that much payoff. From the pics I can see that there's a lot less room back there than I thought there might be; the rear wall protrudes fairly far into the space from the cover. I guess there's just a lot more electronics and pieces back there than on my previous truck, because it had a pretty flat panel and cover.

Oh well! The floor has a ton more room, and I can store some of the stuff I used to carry back there in the Ram boxes in the floor so it's OK.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Passenger side!
I would say a rifle rack wont fit

View attachment 153328

View attachment 153329
I agree a Rifle rack would be a no go :( THANKS for the post's helped a ton
Thanks for all the pictures everyone; it looks like this might be a mod that doesn't have all that much payoff. From the pics I can see that there's a lot less room back there than I thought there might be; the rear wall protrudes fairly far into the space from the cover. I guess there's just a lot more electronics and pieces back there than on my previous truck, because it had a pretty flat panel and cover.

Oh well! The floor has a ton more room, and I can store some of the stuff I used to carry back there in the Ram boxes in the floor so it's OK.
I agree 110% :)

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thank You everyone for your replies,ALL very helpfull. I check out adding a rack under the seat :) I believe I have seen those and can make a rack. Oooops another mod in the thinking lol