Questions about after market double din install on 2009 laramie 1500...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkone379

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this topic has been mentioned in the past before but after 2 hours of searching I couldn't find clear answers as most threads are from 10 years ago. I am a complete newbie at stereo related stuff and it is way harder than I thought to find help on the internet as there is virtually nothing about my specific situation so bare with me. I am installing a Dual Electronics DMCPA70BT in a 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie. I believe it has the "premium" sound system which means it has a factory amp? I want to keep the steering wheel volume controls and definitely the reverse camera. I have already ordered a dash kit for mounting it and an adapter for the antenna but I am confused about the wiring. The two wiring harnesses that came with the new radio are a tad confusing because one is like you would think with stripped wire ends ready to be connected but the other one has RCA looking plugs. They both plug into separate slots in the radio. What I am really confused about is the wiring harness in the truck. There are 6 different plugs. 2 large multi pin connectors, one grey and one white which have many different wires. More than any of the videos explained about the color codes. And one smaller grey multi pin which I believe is for the sirius xm? So i can ignore it? and then three single plugs: blue, yellow, and white. I know one of them is the antenna (I'm pretty sure it's yellow?). But not sure about the other ones. Do I have to get a stereo interface like the Pac RP4-CH11? From what I can see, it only has one slot to plug in to one of the multi pin connectors, so what about the other one? So my main questions are what do the separate blue, white, and yellow wires do? and do i have to use a wiring interface like the PAC, if so why are there two multipin connectors but only one plugs into the interface. Is there something obvious i'm not getting? Cause if feel pretty stipud right now. Thanks.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_1663_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1663_LI.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 23

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Here's the pinout, hope that helps. Tha Fakra connectors are: White - Radio; Yellow - Satellite; Blue GPS

Radio C1 - Gray 10 way
Hands Free (U-Connect)

Code:

1 18LB/DG LEFT AUDIO OUTPUT
2 18DG/LB RIGHT AUDIO OUTPUT
3 -
4 18DG/YL MICROPHONE FEED
5 -
6 18DG COMMON AUDIO OUTPUT
7 18LB/DG MICROPHONE IN (-)
8 18OR/GY SENSOR GROUND
9 -
10 -

Radio C2 - Gray 22 way
Audio

Code:

1 18RD FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
2 20WT CAN INTERIOR BUS (-)
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 18GY/OR AMPLIFIED ANTENNA FEED
8 18GY/LG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
9 18GY/DG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)
10 18DG/LG RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
11 18DG/GY RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
12 18BK/WT GROUND
13 20WT/OR CAN INTERIOR BUS (+)
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 18DG/VT RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS(+)
20 18DG/YL RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS(-)
21 18GY/VT LEFT FRONT SPEAKERS(+)
22 18GY/YL LEFT FRONT SPEAKERS(-)

Radio C3 - White 22 way
Rear-Seat Video Montior

Code:

1 18GY/LB AUDIO RETURN 3
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 18GY/BR VIDEO SIGNAL 1
6 18GY/YL VIDEO COMMON 1
7 VDO-VIDEO SHIELD 1
8 18GY/LB VIDEO SIGNAL 2
9 18GY/YL VIDEO COMMON 2
10 VIDEO SHIELD 2
11 18GY/OR AUDIO RETURN 2
12 18DG/VT AUDIO LEFT 3
13 18DG/YL AUDIO RIGHT 3
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 18DG/TN AUDIO LEFT 1
19 18GY/VT AUDIO RETURN 1
20 18DG/WT AUDIO RIGHT 1
21 18DG/LB AUDIO LEFT 2
22 18DG/DB AUDIO RIGHT

OP
OP
J

jkone379

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you this clears many things up. I do not have a rear video monitor so assume I don't need to use most of those RCA plugs. What about the rear sub? is that part of the speaker wires from the C2 plug? And where would the backup camera wire be? Because I have to plug it into an rca, so would I need an adapter?. And the new radio harness also has a 12v camera line, is that if I was wiring my own camera? since i already have a factory one do i just not use that? Also, I'm confused about which one is the reverse signal. Is that part if the can interior bus?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
What about the rear sub? is that part of the speaker wires from the C2 plug?
Yes

And where would the backup camera wire be?
The signal and grounds are in the white connector, C3

Because I have to plug it into an rca, so would I need an adapter?

I don't recall ever seeing an adapter from an OEM camera to aftermarket radio, I've seen them the other way - may want to look at Crutchfield to see if they have something
And the new radio harness also has a 12v camera line, is that if I was wiring my own camera? since i already have a factory one do i just not use that? Also, I'm confused about which one is the reverse signal. Is that part if the can interior bus?

The factory camera gets it's reverse signal from the PCM, I don' think you'll need the 12V camera line

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first time I did this is was confusing as well. After some support and a bit of research, it was very easy. I used a Access wiring harness kit with the interface. Its as simple as matching the radio wires to the interface, crimping or soldering, then plug it in. If you have the opportunity to use RCA plugs for output and amp input it makes things a heck of a lot easier. For the camera I only needed the reverse wire and the camera input off the harness. This weekend I plan to install a 10" panel as an upgrade to my 2DIN Android system while running an amplifier to door speakers.