Questions about tying into the infinity system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyndo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I know pretty much nothing about car audio so bare with me. I tried a search as well but wasn't able to find anything.

First things first, the truck I am hoping to do this to is an 07' ram 1500 4x4 laramie with the infinity sound system. I have an 8" ultra linear sub that has been laying around doing nothing for a few years (model UL808W 400W max power) and was curious what I would need to do to add it into my current stereo system. I know i'm not going to get crazy bass from an 8" sub and thats not what i'm going for. I don't mind the infinity system but wouldn't mind getting a bit more base using this sub if it isn't too hard to do. I know the infinity system can be a bit of a bi%^& to tie into so i'm not sure i'll be able to do it.

so.. Is it as simple as just buying an amp and tying into the current system, or am I opening a can of worms if I try this? If it's just an amp, do you have any recommendations? I'm not looking for a high quality system as i'm sure the sub i have isn't the best quality already, if i'm going to do this I want to do it as cheap as I can and still have a functional system.

edit: after some more searching... is it just as easy as running an LOC off the front speakers since they are dedicated to mids and lows and then running that to the amp which runs the sub?

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head there, Lyndon. Add an LOC and get that speaker signal to the back.

OP
OP
L

Lyndo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
great thanks, maddog.

Would anyone have any recommendations as to good brands/models/vendors to go with for this? I am in the dark when it comes to this stuff so any help is greatly appreciated.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
AudioControl makes several good ones. I use their LC6i which gave me the capacity for all my speakers.

OP
OP
L

Lyndo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
okay thanks. I think I have found all the components that I will need. I am thinking about placing the sub in the lower storage area of my centre console, it should fit well if I take the plastic insert out and I don't really use the space for much anyway.I would then place the amp under my drivers seat. The reason for this is that I want to keep the rear storage under my back seats free for tow ropes, chains, booster cables, etc. So my question with this is has anyone else ever done it this way(any tips of what to do/avoid?) or is there a reason no to do it this way and go behind the back seat instead?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i didn't read everything, but yes to front speakers and LOC. Make sure you tap in after the infinity amp.

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
they make controls that you wire the speakers into and changes them into rca jacks

OP
OP
L

Lyndo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just an update, i ended up going with a new sub and got er all installed. heres some pics:
photo1.jpg
photo.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo4.jpg

Last edited:

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you take a picture of where you tapped into the front speakers? I couldn't find a good spot to do it and had to tap into the rear ones and my sub output SUCKS. I am thinking it may be because the amp hi-passes the signal to the 5 1/4 speakers, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that I have a really good sub/amp combo and I can barely even hear it.

OP
OP
L

Lyndo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you take a picture of where you tapped into the front speakers? I couldn't find a good spot to do it and had to tap into the rear ones and my sub output SUCKS. I am thinking it may be because the amp hi-passes the signal to the 5 1/4 speakers, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that I have a really good sub/amp combo and I can barely even hear it.
ya tying into the back speakers would be your problem. I tied into the front left speaker using the wires coming from a main plug in the left side of the driverside footwell. You have to be careful and make sure you know exactly what wire you're cutting when you do this as there are a lot of wires in the bundle. The wire colours for the left speaker in my truck were the green with light blue stripe and green with yellow stripe. I took my door panel off and took the speaker out to make sure I had the right wires and I suggest you do the same, the door panel is easy to take off. I snapped a couple of quick pics for ya, don't know if they'll help much as you can just see a bundle of wires.

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you so much, I will try that, I have a feeling that is what is hampering my performance.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just wondering how and where did you hide all the wires

OP
OP
L

Lyndo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i ran the power wire through the firewall, under the door sill and then under the carpet to the amp. The signal and remote wires i ran behind the dash under the steering column to the centre console, then ran them under the centre console and then under the seat to the amp. All the speaker wires and extra rca's are just ran from the amp under the seat under the console to the sub box.

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MADDOG how did you wire up the LC6i? Where did you take your inputs from?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca