Quick drain oil plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thought is that its good for you and eacy when doing that dreadful oil change, but what if someone wants to play games with you and your truck and just opens the plug alittle as your driven their goes your motor. Me I,ll stick to the OEM plug whats the deal 2 mins more and a little oil on your hand or just put gloves on.:driver:
*****... And that same person would be stomped if you had the regular plug? *****...that was the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard..lol

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed about that, and I just think simple is better. I park my truck on the driveway and I know that that valve is going to leak eventually, even if it's just a few drops. So why complicate things when it's something you only do every 6 months to a year?
These are ball valves...

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
These are ball valves...

I know, but there are reports of leaks. Also if you take it in to have the oil changed, folks have reported that sometimes the "mechanic" removes the valve to change the oil, then loses a gasket, or over torques it.

Fine by me if folks want to use them, but as I said, why over-complicate things? I like the Ram plug with a built-in rubber gasket. Put a new one on at my third change, and will replace it every 3-4 changes.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is not so much a time saver but more a mess saver. Also if you put a gallon freezer bag around the filter when removing it, it keeps everything nice and clean. Oil change and no mess after. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
*****... And that same person would be stomped if you had the regular plug? *****...that was the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard..lol
well do you need a wrench to open the quick plug do you NO so who carry,s a wrench with them .With this type of quick drain you can just open it with two fingers thats all I was bringing out. So what you replayed is ridiculous.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I considered a fumoto valve but isn’t the OEM plug magnetic and doesn’t it collect shavings & grit???

I’d want to wipe that off to remove it from the pan (and entire equation).

Not sure a fumoto valve affords you that option.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a Fumoto drain plug on my 2014 Ram Ecodiesel and it worked great. I traded trucks for a 2019 1500 Limited with the 5.7 V8. I kept the plug from the diesel and put it in the V8. Works great. I had no problems at all, would buy again. I bought from Amazon.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Personally, I can't see any great advantage. I mean every six or seven thousand miles you change oil. It takes about 3 seconds to take the bolt off. So you save 2 seconds opening up the drain, but how much longer does it take to drain the oil with the narrower opening?

Technically there is a procedure for draining the oil. Some manufactures actually have times listed for minimum drain time. The ID of the EZ valve is basically 5/16" so your not loosing much if any flow. When changing the oil its better do it with warm oil so you should run the motor for a bit to warm things up, then let it sit for a few minutes so oil drains back to the pan, then open the plug or valve and let oil drain for something like 10min. Then go about the rest of the process. You want complete drainage if possible... and on out trucks with a rake its better to have the front end up like on ramps to help promote full drainage. If you let the oil drain with the valve for 10min you just walk away and have a beer or coffee and come back. On my EZ valve I got the 3/8" Hose nipple adapter so I put a hose on it and put it in the oil container and its ZERO mess. Best part is wind doesnt affect it so you don't get that weird mess when the stream is thin and wind hits it. Also for some of us (7-8k miles here) Do more oil changes that 1-2 a year. I just did a 7500k oil change after 3 months due to my commute.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My thought is that its good for you and eacy when doing that dreadful oil change, but what if someone wants to play games with you and your truck and just opens the plug alittle as your driving their goes your motor. Me I,ll stick to the OEM plug whats the deal 2 mins more and a little oil on your hand or just put gloves on.:driver:

crazy way to think lol. Your saying someones going to crawl under your truck and hope that you have a drain valve, then open it just alittle? You can't see the valve unless you crawl under and even then they sell locks. My EZ valve has a 3/8"hose nipple adapter installed, I put a vinyl vacuum cap on it and a small zip tie. That way even if the valve opens up or someone opens the valve the oil can't come out. But if someone is going through all the trouble whats to say they done have a wrench and just crack open the drain bolt? Or why even go that route... its easy for them to put sugar in the gas tank lol.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I know, but there are reports of leaks. Also if you take it in to have the oil changed, folks have reported that sometimes the "mechanic" removes the valve to change the oil, then loses a gasket, or over torques it.

Fine by me if folks want to use them, but as I said, why over-complicate things? I like the Ram plug with a built-in rubber gasket. Put a new one on at my third change, and will replace it every 3-4 changes.

EZ valve has a integrated oring seal. These are the weirdest arguments ever... If you got a mechanic who's a **** who removes the valve even then how do that over tighten it? Its only accepts a wrench... not like a DRAIN BOLT which they USE IMPACT GUNS ON. The chances of over tightening a stock drain bolt is much higher when you let anyone do your oil changes. At least the drain valve would prevent over tightening and cause the **** mechanic to stop and think. But if your paying someone to do your oil then why GAF and make there life easier.

I think the drain bolt is over complicating things honestly. Crude, messy and we have the technology! The valves are just easier to operate once installed.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I can't see any great advantage. I mean every six or seven thousand miles you change oil. It takes about 3 seconds to take the bolt off. So you save 2 seconds opening up the drain, but how much longer does it take to drain the oil with the narrower opening?

I have a Femco. My advantage is that I direct the hose into a 5 Gallon container. Gives me one less pan to clean.

Gossettrc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Added a VALVOMAX to my HEMI's a RAM and a 300. Did that in DECEMBER. At this point I would do it again. My problem now is reducing spillage removing filter. When you figure that one out let us know. I have tried many ideas posted. Still a work in progress for me.