RA1 to RA2 need a microphone option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You're welcome... Yeah, it's a pretty kick-ass site. Hard to believe it's open to the public... shhhhhh ;)

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the RA1 without the camera you wont have any wires running to the mirror, best bet is to buy the harness from quirk or tasca for 25.00 plus shipping and a mirror off ebay. them its all plug and play. As previous poster said the connector is located behind the passengers side ac vent.

1. Remove both a pillar covers
2. Remove both sun visors and anchor clips
3. Remove existing mirror
4. remove passenger's side dash endcap and airvent
5. lower headliner just enough so you can get access to run the harness by carefully working it out of the rubber door gaskets
6. pug new harness into existing plug behind dash
7. route new harness thru dash up the passengers side a pillar and across the roof to the mirror.
8. the new harness will have Christmas tree anchors, the truck body will have corresponding holes along the route just push them into the holes.
9. the headliner will have a notch wher the mirror plug exits.
10. plug into new mirror and install new mirror and trim pieces.
11. put headliner back into door gaskets, reinstall visors and a pillar covers.

It really is fairly straight forward, just use care and take your time. I wore latex gloves to avoid getting the headliner dirty. It takes maybe an hour or two, and its all pnp. One thing I did was to plug it all together prior to installing just to make sure everything was good. Oh and mine involved removing the existing harness because I have clearance lights, my new harness was for both so I had to replce the one that was there which made it a little bit harder. Still only took about 2 hours and I feel was the best solution.

RLK that oem hands free kit you have there is for my gig radios, 2012 and prior model years, it will not work on 2013 and up trucks.
Cptwing , buddy i read your comments and post all the time & ( respect of your knowledge I have ) & I'm here to tell YOU and ANYONE else that cares to listen that YOU KNOW A HELL OF A LOT MORE about this automotive audio upgrade stuff than I do !!!

With that said , I've done a litle digging on the photo I posted above from www.oemautopartsco.com Referencing their RA4 UCONNECT Microphone kit for $149.95 , for being an option for a microphone install for the RA2 5.0 .

I'm convinced this is a good fit for our Rams with the RA2,3,4,4A,4AN Model units . If you don't mind sir could you go to the sight I posted above and confirm that for me before i purchase it ? The main reason I'm looking into purchasing this Harness is because it not only gives me the Exact OEM microphone it also has an input for video that will work with several back up cameras , to include the tailgate camera kit I'm looking at installing in the near future after completing my RA2 5.0 Upgrade . Thank you sir for any response ...

OP
OP
R

rearview

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased the mic harness from OEM Auto Parts Co. online and 2 days later they refunded my money and told me they were having glitches with the harness and to check back in a month. So.. yea...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's listed as on back order right now till mid to late July , I called their support line talked to a guy about it ( he was very knowledgeable ) on the kit and told me his tech guys was looking into the need for a voltage regulator for the mic side of the kit to compensate for voltage fluctuations // he also verified for me the kit also provides a video plug and play connection for a camera system BU , tailgate cam ect... I'm still considering purchasing it when available, it's really easy to install if they get it working .

joshlvsl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a question for all you smart guys that have done this already. I just installed an RA2 from a 14 1500 into my 13 2500 tradesman 6.7l everything works except the phone call audio does not play through the speakers. Right now I do not have the mic installed because I am waiting on OEM to get the harnesses back in stock. I also don't have the switch in the wheel installed yet. So I am wondering if I should be worried or if it will start working once I plug the Mic harness in? I can play Bluetooth audio. Thanks for any help and advice!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question for all you smart guys that have done this already. I just installed an RA2 from a 14 1500 into my 13 2500 tradesman 6.7l everything works except the phone call audio does not play through the speakers. Right now I do not have the mic installed because I am waiting on OEM to get the harnesses back in stock. I also don't have the switch in the wheel installed yet. So I am wondering if I should be worried or if it will start working once I plug the Mic harness in? I can play Bluetooth audio. Thanks for any help and advice!
I just did the same thing on my 2014 1500 , no mirror microphone yet ( waiting on harness too ) our only difference is I have installed my audio controls and VR/Phone button on my steering wheel . My Bluetooth works through the truck speakers fine for both music streaming and phone call and text voice ? Well except i.cant talk back without switching it back to my phone , obviously due to not having my microphone mirror and harness installed yet . Not sure on yours being a 2500 , to my knowledge yours should be working as well ?

joshlvsl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for the reply, I had a few extra free minutes at work so ran out to do the switch install and it works now, so I guess you have to have the switch installed. Thanks again

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vr/phone switch ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you planning on installing the www.oemautopartsco.com audio control kit to the backside of your wheel ? I'm loving mine , takes a bit to get use to but I couldn't imagine not having them now ...

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got this from ebay - 68096091AC. This mirror has all the options on it, but I am only going to use it for the microphones. The plugs look the same as the harness I have. Has any tried putting in an Auto Dimming, e911 button, and microphones mirror into an RA1 to Ra4 upgraded truck?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got this from ebay - 68096091AC. This mirror has all the options on it, but I am only going to use it for the microphones. The plugs look the same as the harness I have. Has any tried putting in an Auto Dimming, e911 button, and microphones mirror into an RA1 to Ra4 upgraded truck?
I did , that's the same mirror I used , the 911/ assist lights up but will not be functional , the microphones work well , mine is auto dim as well , not sure if that function works , but I've never been blinded from bright lights behind me so maybe it does .
I think there is a way to get the 911/ assist functional once you complete the RA4AN 8.4" upgrade.
If you have the latest software in your RA2 You will have 911/ Help that can be used on the touchscreen ( so long as you have a phone paired and connected via Bluetooth ) it works well , 911 calls you local 911 operator and the HELP calls Chrysler Roadside assistance.
To access the page where 911 / HELP is I think you hit the hard phone button and then the phone book icon on the screen .
Hope this helps !

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi

Yes most of us did and mine all works 911 / ASSIST and autodimming. I did not have any harness though as I did not have the mirror cam either, so I had to add that as well.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I did , that's the same mirror I used , the 911/ assist lights up but will not be functional , the microphones work well , mine is auto dim as well , not sure if that function works , but I've never been blinded from bright lights behind me so maybe it does .
I think there is a way to get the 911/ assist functional once you complete the RA4AN 8.4" upgrade.
If you have the latest software in your RA2 You will have 911/ Help that can be used on the touchscreen ( so long as you have a phone paired and connected via Bluetooth ) it works well , 911 calls you local 911 operator and the HELP calls Chrysler Roadside assistance.
To access the page where 911 / HELP is I think you hit the hard phone button and then the phone book icon on the screen .
Hope this helps !

The 911 / Assist buttons only work with RA3 and RA4 radios and will not work with the RA! or RA2 radios.
The RA3 and RA4 radios have their own cellphone aircard built in, so you can call 911 without having your own cell phone at all.

Last edited:

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you guys also have to buy the upper and lower mirror covers?

upper mirror cover is....1ZA38DX9AA - $12.37
lower mirror cover is....1YW11DX9AA - $16.55

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
mine came with the mirror, some are sold with and some are sold without, i got mine on ebay, with the covers 911 / assist / autodimming for 65.00. That was about 10 months ago, and they are in more demand now. still should be able to get one for south of 100.00 though.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
mine came with the mirror, some are sold with and some are sold without, i got mine on ebay, with the covers 911 / assist / autodimming for 65.00. That was about 10 months ago, and they are in more demand now. still should be able to get one for south of 100.00 though.

Got the 911 assist mirror for 54.99 with a few scratches in the plastic on top by the microphones. Also ordered the upper and lower covers so I'm in under $85 for everything. Well plus $25 for the harness, but I've already got it at home.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the 911 assist mirror for 54.99 with a few scratches in the plastic on top by the microphones. Also ordered the upper and lower covers so I'm in under $85 for everything. Well plus $25 for the harness, but I've already got it at home.
This almost exactly what I did. ..

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This almost exactly what I did. ..

Any chance you have the part number for the mirror covers (upper and lower)? The one's I bought were for the manual dimming mirror and are much too small.

upper mirror cover is....1ZA38DX9AA
lower mirror cover is....1YW11DX9AA

Been rocking it without a cover, but since I'm planning some time to do the backup camera install, might as well get the right covers for the mirror and finish that up too.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking through AllMoparParts.com there is only one upper cover available, the one I have listed. With 3 lowers available, so I believe this is the one I need.

Part Number: 1YW14DX9AC
Part: LOWER COVER
Replaces: 1YW14DX9AB
Part Notes: W/MICROPHONE, W/SMARTBEAM