RA2 to RA4/8.4AN upgrade kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wanted to post my experience performing an upgrade from my RA2 to the RA4 8.4AN uConnect/Nav. There are a few options, you can source the individual parts and put the package together yourself, or you can purchase a ready to install kit with everything you need, which is the way I went. I bougth the RA4 upgrade kit from infotainment.

There are three options, no nav, basic nav, and 3D nav plus HD and extra SiriusXM goodies. I went ahead and went the the upper tier 3D/HD package - figured if I was going to spend this much I might as well go all the way. The price currently ranges from 1200 to 1600 depending on which unit you choose. (don't freak just yet, more price info below)

Package includes head unit, replacement bezel, HVAC controller and cable, and 911 plug. All parts looked new. The head units are reconditioned units with 90-day warranty, with a 1 year option available. This is the kit for the 7 speed fan, and upgrades you to the nicer controls also.

Since we are both in FL, it arrived quickly, and within an hour pretty much I was done. It's a very simple install, really. Disconnect battery, mount the HVAC controller, route cable, pull bezel/radio/plugs, swap bezel, mount new unit and replace plugs, reconnect battery. That's it - you'll need to transfer Sat service over to the new radio ID, and may need to drive around the block to calibrate the NAV, but otherwise you are basically done. I stopped for a few minutes as I cut my finger pretty good routing the HVAC cable so it's basically an hour or less. The only minor issue I ran into is that the main harness for the radio the wires come out and bend one direction - when swapping the radio those wires were set in that bend which prevented really getting a bite with the lever to latch it in, so you just swap the lever to the other side (so you are not fighting the bundle of wires) and it drops right in.

As advertised, everything works as expected. Nav directions display in cluster, steering wheel controls all work, you can use touch or manual controls for radio, HVAC, etc. Backup camera is so much nicer on the 8.4" vs the 5". Then there's HD Radio and SXM Travel/Traffic. I haven't messed with HD Radio but did at the Travel/Traffic to my Sirius account and it's easily worth $5 a month.

So, the elephant in the room... the price. yes it's expensive. As mentioned you could source the parts from here and there and save a bit of money, but with this kit you get everything in one box. They take your VIN and set it so to make sure there will not be any conflict or issues. I got a radio same year as my truck, and everything is guaranteed to "fit", and has the latest updates/firmware/etc. They have a warranty, and have support if required.

They also offer a Mil discount, and will take your radio on trade in as well. So with the Mil discount, trade in, and factoring in I won't need to purchase an GPS all offsets the price quite a bit.

So overall a thumbs up from me. I know some will prefer to source items and do everything on their own, but I'm happy with the kit and having it in the truck 2 days after I placed the order. No messing with wiring, no flashing required, it's basically plug and play.

pIWnTO1l.jpg

ybVBeq0l.jpg

jxWIAAHl.jpg

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I really want to do this, I just can’t bring my self to spend the money. Looks good!!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How much did they give you for your 5" radio?

-K

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
$200, but I believe it varies depending on what they need at the time.

Bryce951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram, with connect 5.0... My radio stop working after two years. Dealer wants 170 just to look at it. I researched this problem awhile back and many of people have same problem. No reset for the radio, even with the car battery unplugged. I’ve been rolling in silence for a year and something now. My dilemma is, should I invest in a radio from uconnect when I have read numerous complaints on how their radios fail....(electronics can be temperamental)
Or should I go with aftermarket installation and parts.... I really like my radio when it did work.... but I have never had an oem radio stop working. I know there is always a bad apple in the bunch, and electronics can be like apples...... but 1300 is a lot to invest, especially if it might be problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking of upgrading but I'm thinking it would be better / easier / cheaper to upgrade to a Kenwood or Alpine stereo.

I have a 2014 Ram, with connect 5.0... My radio stop working after two years. Dealer wants 170 just to look at it. I researched this problem awhile back and many of people have same problem. No reset for the radio, even with the car battery unplugged. I’ve been rolling in silence for a year and something now. My dilemma is, should I invest in a radio from uconnect when I have read numerous complaints on how their radios fail....(electronics can be temperamental)
Or should I go with aftermarket installation and parts.... I really like my radio when it did work.... but I have never had an oem radio stop working. I know there is always a bad apple in the bunch, and electronics can be like apples...... but 1300 is a lot to invest, especially if it might be problematic.

Bryce951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking of upgrading but I'm thinking it would be better / easier / cheaper to upgrade to a Kenwood or Alpine stereo.

My question would be the overall look of an aftermarket radio, and if the ac knobs are connected to the radio housing plate... I agree that a kenwood or alpine would be cheaper. But I don’t know if it’ll be easier, with having to buy a wire harness and intergrating everything together.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
imo, unless you are building up a complete vehicle audio system with amps, subs, boxes, etc - you are better off using/upgrading into one of the OEM HU's, RA2/3/4 due to the way uconnect is integrated into the vehicle and all it's monitoring/controls/etc. Others will disagree, as typically you do get more from your money audio-wise by going away from OEM, but a the expense of integration.

Another alternative would the be Alpine Perfect Fit setup, which integrates into most the vehicle functions much like the uconnect does - https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ram-navigation-x009-ram . Nice, but spendy.

Checkout https://www.infotainment.com for some ideas on factory upgrades as well.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Hell for $170 you could replace it outright... easy swap take you 30 min.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-2014-Do...542000?hash=item5461a64ef0:g:7NQAAOSwoIJbdhiH

Just depends on how much you want to keep any uconnect features of the RA2. Personally if you just want to replace the radio and not make any other changes I would suggest going this route.

Bryce951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just depends on how much you want to keep any uconnect features of the RA2. Personally if you just want to replace the radio and not make any other changes I would suggest going this route.[/QUOTE]

Thanks boss. Yea I research this method. The only negatives i found is various people claiming replacement needed coding after installation. Overall I am considering this method but, what’s to say the replacement unit won’t do the same thing and stop working after a year or two. What makes me on edge is that my truck is only used on weekends...So an audio malfunction on a unit that is hardly used makes me weary to stay away from that particular brand.

genosguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 ltr
I just did the parts pieces install got the harness/911 from MPgrimm2, it worked.
simples install less than an hour is all goes right. --I asked a lot of qustions got few real answers.
The Bypass defeats Uconnect---I didn't know that.
I need a steering wheel kit to adjust radio audio---didn't know that.
When I finish--I will have paid out near the infotainment with more frustrations---REAL answers don't come easy.
It would appear all the answers needed were wiped out with a lockout of some posting--not sure that's true but it appears to be.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just did the parts pieces install got the harness/911 from MPgrimm2, it worked.
simples install less than an hour is all goes right. --I asked a lot of qustions got few real answers.
The Bypass defeats Uconnect---I didn't know that.
I need a steering wheel kit to adjust radio audio---didn't know that.
When I finish--I will have paid out near the infotainment with more frustrations---REAL answers don't come easy.
It would appear all the answers needed were wiped out with a lockout of some posting--not sure that's true but it appears to be.

Yeah I considered the piecemeal approach, typically saves a bit of money but decided to just go the infotainment route - everything in one box, warranty, support, etc. Plus they have mil discounts and do trades-in's as well. Not to rub salt, but going the infotainment route I had 100% working system about an hour after opening the box. It costs a bit more but I recommend it over the piecemeal process unless someone finds some really good deals on parts.

JLord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I talked to a guy today at PC richards and son and Best Buy and they said to stick to the Uconnect. After market radios, there harnesses and kits can cost close to $1,000 on these newer RAM trucks and said it may not be worth it.

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for sharing your experience, this will be the route I take for sure. The backup camera on the 5.0 is horrible, plus I really want android auto. I don't think the price is outrageous for what you get and the simplicity of it.