Ra3 radio data connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnyxDragon87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
Hello!
I was hoping someone could help with my radio setup. So i upgraded from a 3" radio to a Ra3. I have been trying to use voice controls to send text messages but the radio wants tells me there's no data connection and that I need to register with Uconnect Access. I call up Uconnect and they tell me there's no way I can register because my truck didn't come with an Ra3 radio. Anyone have any ideas to get around this? I just want to be able to use voice controls lol

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you just upgrade today? Electronics in the trucks can be funky, you might need to let system catch up to truck by running and turning on and off a few times. Not sure about data, you should have had voice call and text before, and it should continue. Is your new radio same year as your truck, is it 2014?

OP
OP
OnyxDragon87

OnyxDragon87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
Oh, it's been a few days.
But I never had voice call and text. It's a new radio. I also added the rear view mirror with mic and dimmer.

OP
OP
OnyxDragon87

OnyxDragon87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
*FIXED* with the 911 dummy plug into the purple fakra slot behind the radio. For whatever reason that's what prevented the data connection.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
... the 13-17 radios need some sort of cellular data connection to Sprint's towers to make the voice to text work. The bypass plug isn't a proper 'antenna' but can pick up some signal in areas with strong Sprint coverage to make it work.
The feature is supposed to be a paid service through uConnect, but transplanted radios seem to work around it for some unknown reason. If it stops working, you will need to install the radio in someone else's truck briefly w/unlock code and then put it back into your truck.

M² Mods.