Upgraded Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok guys, I’ve searched and searched and can’t seem to figure out my issue. I’m not looking for the aftermarket radio gods to help as I know what they’re going to say .
Yesterday evening I installed the upgraded 8.4 with Nav/Carplay in my 2018 Ram 2500. My truck was already equipped with the correct USB ports in the center console. The radio itself is much better except for one issue. I’m not getting the CarPlay feature. So I have searched and searched, I tried 3 different iPhone cables, made sure that CarPlay wasn’t restricted in my phone but still nothing. My phone works using CarPlay in my wife’s car but in my phone settings CarPlay isn’t recognizing my truck but it does my wife’s car. The radio is definitely CarPlay. The original owner of the radio used it. When I took the front plastics off to remove everything, I noticed a white plug that wasn’t connected to anything. It might not have anything to do with my issue but if you know what this plug is for, let me know. I attached photos of plug and sticker on back of radio.
I’m completely lost as to why this is happening. I’m looking for the uconnect gods to help me figure this out.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7428.jpeg
    IMG_7428.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7429.jpeg
    IMG_7429.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 50

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like a USB port issue. Are you 100% sure you have the correct port? what radio did the truck have before?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sounds like a USB port issue. Are you 100% sure you have the correct port? what radio did the truck have before?
I'll second this, if memory serves early 2018 hubs looked right but it would only work for Android Auto or CarPlay only (I can't remember which). Have you tried plugging in an Android phone? That might tell you if you are dealing with this issue.

That plug I think is for a cigarette lighter plug maybe (not sure)? It's definitely not the USB port or anything to do with it. The Micro USB that goes to the USB hub is the gray plug on the back of the radio.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just got back from the dealership. They let me try out a new usb hub. No luck whatsoever. I have the right usb hub and it charges my phone with no problem. I was hoping maybe something was wrong with the signal part of it, if there is such a thing lol. Doing process of elimination right now.
I don’t know anyone with an android phone lol.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Originally this truck came with the small uconnect radio. It’s an SLT model. I think the original owner (youngster) stole or had someone steal a radio out of a 2015. I say stole because the mounting bracket was broken off lol. That was the radio that was in it when I bought it and it was an older 8.4 Uconnect without NAV. I wanted to upgrade for NAV and Apple CarPlay so I bought this upgraded radio.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is the USB port I have.

Attachments

• IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 36

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Ramaford
Where did you get your 8.4 upgrade/conversion harness set from?

Snk is correct, wrong hub.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I never bought a conversion harness. I used what was already there. I purchased the radio from eBay. The seller has been trying to help me out as well. He’s assured me that it has CP. We talked yesterday for over 30 minutes trying to figure it out. When I plug my phone into the usb port, it will connect to my radio but no CP. It will charge as well. The seller told me yesterday that my old radio had CP but I’m not sure about that as it never worked as well. Here’s a pic of the old radio. Maybe you can tell me.

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 20

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I never bought a conversion harness. I used what was already there. I purchased the radio from eBay. The seller has been trying to help me out as well. He’s assured me that it has CP. We talked yesterday for over 30 minutes trying to figure it out. When I plug my phone into the usb port, it will connect to my radio but no CP. It will charge as well. The seller told me yesterday that my old radio had CP but I’m not sure about that as it never worked as well. Here’s a pic of the old radio. Maybe you can tell me.

No offense but that seller doesn't know what he is talking about. That VP3 radio did not have car play and you need the correct USB port (which it appears you do Not have) You might need the harness as well. They are not all compatible with carplay, only certain ones have the correct wiring. Yes they will all charge and connect to the radio, but many will not work with car play.

I suggest you take a step back and read this thread... It has info on the compatible USB ports

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Ramaford
Who's the eBay or facebook seller that said a 2017 Harmon RA3/VP3-NA radio had AA/ CP? (Or is that the original radio?)

I only ask because there's was another customer of mine, can't recall who, in the same situation recently that was told that for a 17 Ra3 radio (none of the 13-18 Harmon radios had AA/ CP... Ever).

It will need to be a Panasonic Single piece unit from a 4th Gen 2018/classic Ram.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is who I purchased it from.

Attachments

• IMG_7436.jpeg
    IMG_7436.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
He was obviously mistaken for the old radio having CP. I won’t hold that against him. He offered to send me the usb hub he uses to test his radios for $100. He wouldn’t charge me if it didn’t work and I’d mail it back to him. He’s a pretty nice seller to be honest.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The hub I have now appears to have the same design female connections as the one that’s being recommended. I guess I won’t know for sure until I get the right hub. Are you implying that even if my existing harness plugs into the new hub that it might not work?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The hub I have now appears to have the same design female connections as the one that’s being recommended. I guess I won’t know for sure until I get the right hub. Are you implying that even if my existing harness plugs into the new hub that it might not work?
It's implied that it might not work, if that's the case @Mpgrimm2 can sell you the correct harness you need and he made videos for installation too. I would start with the seller's hub as it might fix your issue without further modification. If I remember correctly, $100 isn't a bad price for the correct hub. You could likely turn around and sell your old one too, just confirm that it works for Android Auto only and disclose that to the buyer.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok great. I appreciate everyone’s help thus far. I truly hope it’s the hub or even harness. My heated steering wheel and seats never worked. I even bought the module and haven’t installed it yet. After installing this new radio, they work.

OP
OP
Ramaford

Ramaford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: So I just received the USB hub from the seller I purchased the radio from that he uses. Unfortunately, it didn’t work either. Also, when I search for vehicles in my CarPlay settings, my truck does not pull up.

Attachments

• IMG_7494.jpeg
    IMG_7494.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 10

znrh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure that you have the VPN turned off on the phone. I noticed my car wouldnt connect to Android auto until I disabled the VPN on the phone

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Update: So I just received the USB hub from the seller I purchased the radio from that he uses. Unfortunately, it didn’t work either. Also, when I search for vehicles in my CarPlay settings, my truck does not pull up.
Just saw it in another thread, did you check to see if Carplay is enabled on both your phone and in the Uconnect phone options screen?