Ram 1500 5.9 stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLH21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge keeps stalling out, once it stalls I can restart runs for maybe 10-15 minutes then dies, sometimes the dash gauges don’t move battery/gas and so forth when this happens truck will crank but not start, once gauges move it will start and run for about 10 min then stall... any ideas? And it’s a 2002

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I've had to replace the crankshaft position sensor and the fuel pump. The fuel pump was a hard fail. Driving down the road engine dies no restart. The crankshaft position sensor was more problematic. Never noticed the dash gauges issue. You know it almost sounds like a bad ground or pos wire to the battery.

Austin-591500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 x2
Engine
5.9 Magnum, 5.9 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel
crank position sensor, never hurts to check the plenum. for the gauges, it is probably grounds, take off the ground wires, clean them and clean the surface they are grounded to. i covered mine with dieelctric grease so that they wouldnt corrode again anytime soon.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
cranks but wont start? do you have a gray colored ignition key?

Also the cluster, when the needles wont move... do the lights in the odometer area work at all?

to me it sounds like your cluster is failing but usually when that happens it won't even crank....