ram 1500 6 cy vs ecodiesel 6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Co-workers and friends of mine have various late model GM and Ford diesel 2500 sized pickups. Unless you need to pull 30ft toy haulers to crazy locations, or the truck needs to make money for you, I see zero point in the diesel for a light truck.

The problem with the ED is there is very little to compare it to at this point. Would I buy one? If I had money to burn absolutely! FWIW, I paid $22800 for the Ram in my sig with 12100mi on it. I got lucky IMO. What would a new ED cost, 2.5x that?

On the other hand, I absolutely love my 2017 Ram wiith the 3.6L. This is my average tank to tank with mixed driving and mostly just me in the truck. About 1/3 of the driving is short trips with 1 to 4 of my kids in with me.

DOlCnN1.jpg
i know youre most likely exaggerating, but wanted to point out... 2.5x 22,800$ is 57,000$... if someone paid 57,000$ for an EcoDiesel with 12,100 miles on it, come talk to me, ive got a bridge in pittsburgh to sell them too

Edit:
i noticed you said for a new ecodiesel. still, if you have a 57,000 brand new ecodiesel youre paying for top tier trim package.

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Well with the ecodiesel under lawsuit at the moment I’ve noticed you can buy a 4x4 Laramie for about what I paid for my lone star 2 years ago. I’ve had a few issues along the way but some of it was dealer work that caused it. I have a 4” lift with coil overs and 35’s and I average about 18.5-20 mixed driving. Before the lift I was averaging 25ish pretty easily. The maintenance is more expensive, especially oil hangers at the dealership but you can get an oil change package for a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Long term cost of ownership will most likely be much more with the eco. The difference in a few mpg numbers only small part of the equation.
I'd only get a diesel if I really needed the extra pulling and hauling power.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I needed a diesel, I would get the cummins.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
problem is some people dont want a 3/4 ton for a diesel

^^^^ exactly
the EcoD also rides nicer and a lot quieter going down the road.

Where Dodge screwed up was about 20 years ago, they had the opportunity to put a 4.0L Detroit Diesel DELTA engine in the 1/2 ton, They probably would have owned the entire truck market.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
problem is some people dont want a 3/4 ton for a diesel

sad that FCA didnt put the 5.0 Cummins in the 1500 though.

I agree. If you want the smaller Cummins, you have to get a Nissan.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Boy howdy, six pages of mostly nothing,
As an Eco diesel owner with a bit over 50,000 miles on it, I will say that the milage of an unloaded Eco diesel compared to the gas V6 is close, put a load on them and the little Eco diesel will greatly out do the gas. One thing no one has mentioned is the drive feeling of the two trucks a gas v6 or the diesel v6, the little diesel drives out like a big block of yesterday, lots of torque smooth easy driving, the v6 gas runs out kind of nicely it's an rpm screamer as a re most gas engines today. Does a diesel make the absolute most economical sense I really doubt it, do I believe it was worth it for the drive feeling, the towability, and the mileage, I certainly do. Enjoy your new truck.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I'll try to save you all the long-long part of this...so I'll keep it short.

I owned a quad cab '14 5.7 4x4 6spd with a 3.55 rear. Running 275/65r20 Toyo Open Country ATII tires. I managed 12mpg winter, 15mpg summer on the thing. Highway driving I could muster 21 IF I kept it under 70mph, that seems to be the limit with the aerodynamics on this truck.

Bought a Big Horn ED in Jan, crew cab, 4x4 8spd, 3.55 rear, same tires as my '14. Last winter I managed 18mpg, on summer diesel, 22mpg. Highway tris at <70mph I can easily get 30mpg. Over 70mph and it will drop to 26-27mpg.

My 5.7L ran like poo on 89 pump, so I ran mid grade...I'm pointing this put due to the gas-vs-diesel cost issue.

Bullet points of the ED:

GOOD
-Great MPG (seriously, I'm dropping far less $$ on fuel since buying it)
-When warm, great get up and go and gobs of torque...and very little turbo lag (again...it has to be be warm)
-Diesel engine sound (call me crazy, I love the sound)
-Ease of DEF (yeah, you read that right, at 5000 miles, I'm still at 25% on the DEF tank. Fillup at a local truck stop will be a whopping $30 for another 6-7000 miles)

BAD
-This engine is COLD BLOODED...if your work commute is short like mine, have fun freezing you ass off on the way there
-Engine bog is HORRID when it hasn't warmed up yet...this thing feels like it has about 12 horsepower when it is cold
-Possible mechanical issues...I'll admit that this worries me...but now I have a 7 year warranty
-Even when warm, it isn't half as punchy as my 5.7L was
-Maint...I guess. I bought an oil change package so it wasn't so horrid.

So...what would I do? Hard telling. Will I buy another? No, probably not. I like it well enough but I miss that Hemi punch, I cannot stand that it won't warm the F up when it is cold, the the bog when the engine is cold can be downright dangerous if you need to get into traffic.

I'm guessing that for some, this thing has a purpose...just not for me. I love the MPG...but I dislike most other things about it.

My next Ram will be a hemi for sure.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boy howdy, six pages of mostly nothing,
As an Eco diesel owner with a bit over 50,000 miles on it, I will say that the milage of an unloaded Eco diesel compared to the gas V6 is close, put a load on them and the little Eco diesel will greatly out do the gas. One thing no one has mentioned is the drive feeling of the two trucks a gas v6 or the diesel v6, the little diesel drives out like a big block of yesterday, lots of torque smooth easy driving, the v6 gas runs out kind of nicely it's an rpm screamer as a re most gas engines today. Does a diesel make the absolute most economical sense I really doubt it, do I believe it was worth it for the drive feeling, the towability, and the mileage, I certainly do. Enjoy your new truck.

I had 50k plus on mine when I got rid of it. One thing I can say for certain is that I never thought it ran out like a big block.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Comparing costs of driving, either the gas or diesel offer advantages depending on the scenario. All else equal, I like diesels.

However, as stated earlier, the high premium for the diesel pushes the break even point out many years .
You can buy a lot of cheaper regular gas before reaching the point where the diesel would be more economical.

Since you’re not going to need the pulling grunt, the 3.6 V-6 gas seems the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I had 50k plus on mine when I got rid of it. One thing I can say for certain is that I never thought it ran out like a big block.

The low end torque is about the same as the old 440's, 454's and the HP isn't to far off either, I believe as I recall a 72 Chevy 454 in a K series truck was just over 400 ft/lb of torque and around 250 hp, sounds quite similar to an 2015 Eco diesel to me and feels similar also

truckin88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my 3.6 a month ago, I avg 23MPG mixed driving. I use 87 octane. Its a crew cab 4x4 express w/ 20's and 3.55s. I wanted a truck within budget, that I could go to home depot and lowes with. I rarely tow, and if anything a landscape trailer. The hemi is awesome, but the better gas mileage and cheaper insurance and price I got on the truck put me in a 3.6L. Truck drives great around town and on highway, she will scream above 75mpg, but that is expected. It is not as fast as a hemi, but it is smooth. I bet production numbers are high, as these are the base engines. You see a lot in quad cabs, look for any ram without an eco diesel or hemi badge, there are lots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca