Ram 2500 trans update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
17 ram 2500hd 6.4l truck was at the shop for a few days they said the tires caused the balance body to go (not sure but it’s covered) got the the key back with the new bosy installed 80 mikes later trans is over heated yet again now they blame the mufflex muffler delete. Any ideas what’s causing 210-260* trans temps?

Also any info on a 90mm throttle body and jet performance chip stage 2 with a cold air intake

Mods.
2.5” lift
33x12.5 at3
18x10 mo970
Mufflex muffler delete
90mm
Custom adjustable sway links

6BD267CC-D640-4847-9D86-35994775CCBB.jpeg

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hmmm, I have a hard time believing that the wheels caused issue with the valve body. I have an even harder time believing a mufflex caused the trans to overheat.

My guess is there is an issue with A) transmission fluid cooler, (restricted internally, blocked flow to it/from it, etc) or B) torque converter failed internally causing temp spikes.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And now we see what is wrong with dealership service centers. There are no mechanics. Just techs who are only allowed to read fault codes and resolve as instructed. When **** like this happens they have no idea how to troubleshoot the cause because no code, so they blame it on aftermarket items. Had it been stock they would be forced to throw parts at it until they get it right. But now they have an excuse to say sorry but you’re S.O.L.

I had a Ford dealer make me take off the radiator bug screen and replace the Airaid drop in filter with a Motorcraft part before they would look into my warranty claim that ended up being a TSB 2 weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And now we see what is wrong with dealership service centers. There are no mechanics. Just techs who are only allowed to read fault codes and resolve as instructed. When **** like this happens they have no idea how to troubleshoot the cause because no code, so they blame it on aftermarket items. Had it been stock they would be forced to throw parts at it until they get it right. But now they have an excuse to say sorry but you’re S.O.L.

I had a Ford dealer make me take off the radiator bug screen and replace the Airaid drop in filter with a Motorcraft part before they would look into my warranty claim that ended up being a TSB 2 weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a cel for evap major evap leak. (Fitting broke on top of tank) they said my leds caused it as that was the only other code they wanted me to go to stock lighting to look at it. Needless to say I dropped the exhaust crawled up there snapped a pic reinstalled exhaust went bsbk with picture proof was told since we don’t know how it broke it’s customer neglect . Well 3 dealers later it’s fixed 2 days later it’s back (they actually broke 4 tanks installing them) just goes to show they only rely on the obd2 to do their job instead of trouble shooting

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm, I have a hard time believing that the wheels caused issue with the valve body. I have an even harder time believing a mufflex caused the trans to overheat.

My guess is there is an issue with A) transmission fluid cooler, (restricted internally, blocked flow to it/from it, etc) or B) torque converter failed internally causing temp spikes.

My guess would be the cooler as I understand the ac condenser and trans cooler are in one also as a hvac tech I know a clogged condenser will cause high head on the ac which my truck blows off Freon every now as the head pressure rises

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Aside from the coolant being a little high for an unloadedtruck, the other two look hot to me, but I am basing that off of my truck. I have no idea what normal temps are for the 6.4L.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I doubt the cooler is plugged. More likely the thermostatic valve is not opening and flow is not being allowed to the cooler, just circulated back to the transmission. I’ve seen it happen a couple times.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Aside from the coolant being a little high for an unloadedtruck, the other two look hot to me, but I am basing that off of my truck. I have no idea what normal temps are for the 6.4L.
The other #'s are OK. Here's mine on a normal day. Once it's warm, outside temps don't affect it too much. These numbers are common on a 6.4.c25e52b5575222a7d44f7e5b8d070dff.jpg

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The other #'s are OK. Here's mine on a normal day. Once it's warm, outside temps don't affect it too much. These numbers are common on a 6.4.c25e52b5575222a7d44f7e5b8d070dff.jpg

I concur, this is what my 6.4L reads as well on a normal warmed up summer day.......that trans temp is pretty damn stable at 168-175 even when I am towing, including 90+ degree days.....and hills etc.

For an unloaded rig to be sitting at 210+ all day......something is ferked up, and it ain't the friggin' muffler.....

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I concur, this is what my 6.4L reads as well on a normal warmed up summer day.......that trans temp is pretty damn stable at 168-175 even when I am towing, including 90+ degree days.....and hills etc.

For an unloaded rig to be sitting at 210+ all day......something is ferked up, and it ain't the friggin' muffler.....

Does ur trans temp light come on at 175*? I see my light come up about 173* about 180 I lose all gears n get stuck in 4th. I should have the truck at a trans shop this week hopfully and send the bill over to The dealer.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be sure to ask your dealer to clarify HOW the mufflex can alter the transmission to run at an unsafe temp.

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be sure to ask your dealer to clarify HOW the mufflex can alter the transmission to run at an unsafe temp.

When asked they do not have an answer. I’m going to assume they don’t know the issue n will blame anything

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Even fully loaded and tugging a trailer my trans has never gone above 79C (174F or so). Oil has never exceeded 110C (230F)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Does ur trans temp light come on at 175*? I see my light come up about 173* about 180 I lose all gears n get stuck in 4th. I should have the truck at a trans shop this week hopfully and send the bill over to The dealer.
Stuck in 4th is limp mode. Happened to me on my '09 1500 5.7 4x4. If the wheels spin at a different rate than the trans, it knows something's slipping and goes into limp mode. They had my truck for 6 weeks and said they finally decided to rebuild the trans. It was under warranty. Only had 98,000 miles on it :) Funny thing was, there were only charges for labor on the invoice. (No cost charges) No parts at all. I've never seen anybody rebuild a slushbox with zero parts. 4k miles later started acting up again. I traded it in for a Fiat Abarth and went on a two year, 10/10ths, death defying driving spree. Right before it was gonna stuff me into a guardrail, I bought the '17 2500 6.4 4x4 CCLB. Here's one of both I I I I I
VVVVV3d2d7d4dd04f5fe84b7c8ebf23061904.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stuck in 4th is limp mode. Happened to me on my '09 1500 5.7 4x4. If the wheels spin at a different rate than the trans, it knows something's slipping and goes into limp mode. They had my truck for 6 weeks and said they finally decided to rebuild the trans. It was under warranty. Only had 98,000 miles on it :) Funny thing was, there were only charges for labor on the invoice. (No cost charges) No parts at all. I've never seen anybody rebuild a slushbox with zero parts. 4k miles later started acting up again. I traded it in for a Fiat Abarth and went on a two year, 10/10ths, death defying driving spree. Right before it was gonna stuff me into a guardrail, I bought the '17 2500 6.4 4x4 CCLB. Here's one of both I I I I I
VVVVV3d2d7d4dd04f5fe84b7c8ebf23061904.jpg
Is that franking Sussex automall by chance? If so that’s who’s been denying work on my truck. I will never refer that dealership that’s a nice 2500 looks like mine except I’m a ccsb you would love the mufflex delete if ur looking for a exhaust

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that franking Sussex automall by chance? If so that’s who’s been denying work on my truck. I will never refer that dealership that’s a nice 2500 looks like mine except I’m a ccsb you would love the mufflex delete if ur looking for a exhaust

Probably shouldn't recommend to do a Mufflex delete since it makes the transmission overheat and all..

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yup, that's them! That's also where I bought the '09 1500. They are the ones who gave it back to me twice saying they couldn't find any problem. I made the mistake of driving it in. Limp does go away sometimes. Third time, I had it flatbedded in. Don't know why I went there for my new truck. Convenience I guess. Will never set foot in there again. Every time I go there my blood pressure goes thru the roof. They are habitual liars.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Nope...... can't ever remember seeing the light and I sure as heck have never lost gears and I can guarantee I have been at 175 at some point......it stays pretty low but isn't immune to fluctuations.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My trans temp has gotten into the mid-170’s, but never thrown a code, or tripped a dash light.