Ram 2500 trans update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If your temps are high it’s either you torque converter is not working right or there is a flow issue.

Do you notice the torque converter locking up in all gears? Some gears it is hard to tell. Just lock it out with the manual gear selector in each gear (not 1st, it doesn’t lock up in 1st if I remember correctly) and see if you can feel/hear it locking. Your RPMs will tell the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OP is only 19 yrs old. May need a little more detail to check lockup.
He has kinda formed an opinion that it's never going to be figured out so, might as well blow it up. I wouldn't do that quite yet and I wouldn't talk about that too much on here either OP.

Appologies if you are a worldly mechanic OP. The things that go unsaid between guys like me and others here 'cause we've been fu*kin' with this stuff for 45 yrs can trip up somebody new.

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP is only 19 yrs old. May need a little more detail to check lockup.
He has kinda formed an opinion that it's never going to be figured out so, might as well blow it up. I wouldn't do that quite yet and I wouldn't talk about that too much on here either OP.

Appologies if you are a worldly mechanic OP. The things that go unsaid between guys like me and others here 'cause we've been fu*kin' with this stuff for 45 yrs can trip up somebody new.
I been building trucks as long as I can remember my 95 150 was making 400 at the wheels ny Jeep was making 420 at the wheels as they say jack of all trades master if none. As of now the valve body was replaced 3 times new cooler fluid flush only next week they are pulling the trans to investigate further

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your temps are high it’s either you torque converter is not working right or there is a flow issue.

Do you notice the torque converter locking up in all gears? Some gears it is hard to tell. Just lock it out with the manual gear selector in each gear (not 1st, it doesn’t lock up in 1st if I remember correctly) and see if you can feel/hear it locking. Your RPMs will tell the story.

When locked in manual it’s holding 3rd til 4800 rpms then slams into 4th it’ll get stuck in 4th pull over disconnect battery reconnect I get my gears back for a couple days

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
When locked in manual it’s holding 3rd til 4800 rpms then slams into 4th it’ll get stuck in 4th pull over disconnect battery reconnect I get my gears back for a couple days

Quite possibly could be getting stuck in fourth when getting really hot only because 4th is limp mode.

Even if it’s not going into limp mode 4th is the trans favorite gear being it is 1 to 1 final drive.

I know FCA does not acknowledge oil analysis but if The older fluid is still in the trans i would consider an oil analysis.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I been building trucks as long as I can remember my 95 150 was making 400 at the wheels ny Jeep was making 420 at the wheels as they say jack of all trades master if none. As of now the valve body was replaced 3 times new cooler fluid flush only next week they are pulling the trans to investigate further
As I said, no intent to imply you don't know what your doing. Just saying, I learn new stuff every day and I'm 3 times your age.

Honestly, I think you have a faulty torque converter or components controlling it. I will tell you, this is Warranty work and it should be done by the dealership. Lawyers get expensive very quickly. When FSAM had my '09 for this problem I demanded and got a free loaner car for the entire 6 weeks. I went berserk in the Service area to the point they called the Police on me. Guess I got scary. That backfired on them. I'm a Retired Cop. I Told the Officers I wanted to sign a complaint against Franklin Sussex Auto Mall and they then changed their tune. :) Don't lay down when they deny you, push back. HARD. That's the only way to get what's rightfully yours. Good Luck brother.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
These trucks are never "locked in manual". All that function does is allow you to choose which gear the truck cannot go beyond. You do not choose gears or shift "manually", you are just limiting top gear. It also does not necessarily tell you what gear you're in, it tells you what gear you've limited it to. I also use it to "downshift", but again, I'm not downshifting it, I'm just limiting top gear. It automatically shifts down itself. It's nothing like an old slap stick.

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These trucks are never "locked in manual". All that function does is allow you to choose which gear the truck cannot go beyond. You do not choose gears or shift "manually", you are just limiting top gear. It also does not necessarily tell you what gear you're in, it tells you what gear you've limited it to. I also use it to "downshift", but again, I'm not downshifting it, I'm just limiting top gear. It automatically shifts down itself. It's nothing like an old slap stick.
By locked in manual I mean in manual mode I know these new trucks you select let’s say 5th you it’ll shift as an auto but will not go into 6th as for franklin Sussex I was just there the other day and the guy who sold me the truck got all mad at my parking right upfront by the exit after about 20 min of arguing with the dealer n then realizing oh **** this kid knows a thing or 2 they set up a app to test drive it n see exactly its doing up until they they just plugged it in oh you have a code bc you have leds change those to stock it’ll work

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
By locked in manual I mean in manual mode I know these new trucks you select let’s say 5th you it’ll shift as an auto but will not go into 6th as for franklin Sussex I was just there the other day and the guy who sold me the truck got all mad at my parking right upfront by the exit after about 20 min of arguing with the dealer n then realizing oh **** this kid knows a thing or 2 they set up a app to test drive it n see exactly its doing up until they they just plugged it in oh you have a code bc you have leds change those to stock it’ll work
So, originally they said your trans was overheating because of the Mufflex delete and this time it's happening because you installed LED lighting, but it's NOT the muffler. They must have forgotten about the rediculous muffler story and came up with a just as stupid LED light swap story. How fu*kin' stupid can they get? **** don't even make sense. Next week, Finnigan Pins are worn doe to excessive loud music being played. Holy crap.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, originally they said your trans was overheating because of the Mufflex delete and this time it's happening because you installed LED lighting, but it's NOT the muffler. They must have forgotten about the rediculous muffler story and came up with a just as stupid LED light swap story. How fu*kin' stupid can they get? **** don't even make sense. Next week, Finnigan Pins are worn doe to excessive loud music being played. Holy crap.

The way I read the story is the CEL he has is a light bulb cel and has nothing to do with the transmission. 2 different issues here. LED's will cause that and the dealer is simply saying that is the only code they are seeing and to put the light back to stock to clear the cel not fix the transmission.

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way I read the story is the CEL he has is a light bulb cel and has nothing to do with the transmission. 2 different issues here. LED's will cause that and the dealer is simply saying that is the only code they are seeing and to put the light back to stock to clear the cel not fix the transmission.

No cel for the leds I have a trans over heating light my guess is the lights code is stored in the computer but will not set a cel

ford40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a friend that stuck in 4 th all the time hat it towed to the dealer 3 times . they could not find anything wrong ! took it to a different one they actually pulled the trans pan and found the filter in wrong repaired no trouble since

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have you checked if you’re actually getting flow through the cooler?

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The other #'s are OK. Here's mine on a normal day. Once it's warm, outside temps don't affect it too much. These numbers are common on a 6.4.c25e52b5575222a7d44f7e5b8d070dff.jpg

Same Numbers for mine also. 2018 ram power wagon 6.4L Washington state location. 35 deg F. or 100 deg.F it stays about the same