Ram box lid and electronics/ lemon law?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disappointed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have been a Ford owner all of my life I am 54 years old. I bought the Ram 2500 diesel mega cab with the ram box 2 months ago. I love driving the truck it drives very well. They have had my truck approximately two and a half weeks over two visits the ram box Lids were coming off they broke one so now I have a repainted ram box lid that is coming off again the other side is not coming off but is Askew and is not on correctly. The large screen Electronics have intermittent problems that I'm told can't be fixed. Both of these issues were known issues I feel the salesman should have told me about the issues prior to me buying so I could make an informed decision on a $70,000 vehicle. I'm afraid that I will have to lemon law this truck.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have been a Ford owner all of my life I am 54 years old. I bought the Ram 2500 diesel mega cab with the ram box 2 months ago. I love driving the truck it drives very well. They have had my truck approximately two and a half weeks over two visits the ram box Lids were coming off they broke one so now I have a repainted ram box lid that is coming off again the other side is not coming off but is Askew and is not on correctly. The large screen Electronics have intermittent problems that I'm told can't be fixed. Both of these issues were known issues I feel the salesman should have told me about the issues prior to me buying so I could make an informed decision on a $70,000 vehicle. I'm afraid that I will have to lemon law this truck.
Great first post from a lifelong ford owner.
You are hilarious! I'm sure a salesman trying to sell you something is going to tell you things to convince you NOT to buy.
Get rid of your RAM and go buy another ford and be gone. :insane:

OP
OP
D

Disappointed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Funny I think I also said I love driving the Ram. The problems I'm having seem to have been going on for a while. Does anyone besides the dingbat that commented first have any insight as to if these issues will be fixed because my service tech just apologizes and says they know of the problems but no fix .
By the way honest sales people do exist.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my ramboxes (had for over a year) are perfect in every way,

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have not heard anything on the Ram Box issues. I mostly hear folks bragging on them. As for the radio, I assume it's the new 12". I haven't heard much on them either.

I own a bunch of Fords. My Cummins Ram is the oddball at my house. You, like myself, know the Fords. Did you own one of the 6.0 or 6.4 Power Stokes? How would you like to be told, "Yes, it's bad and no we can't fix it." This is why a Ford diesel wasn't even considered when I was looking for a truck.

I hope they get your truck straightened out. These are nice trucks!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As an FCA tech and on my 2nd truck with ram boxes, I’ve never had any issues with them. I also rarely see trucks coming in for any issues with them. Sounds like you might just be unlucky with them.

As for the radio, absolutely they have issues sometimes and unless it’s a hard parts failure or there is a software update there’s not much that can be done about any minor issues. It all runs on software designed and written by people. There’s always going to be minor bugs/issues. Sometimes fixing one issue creates another. It’s just the way it is with modern day electronics trying to do several things at once.

I always compare it to a cell phone. I’m sure everyone has had their cell phone glitch out and do something weird every now and then. Yet people rarely start phoning up apple/Samsung/google etc. to complain. They usually just shrug it off. Yet when their radio in their car does something weird people will freak out at the dealer demanding they fix it, when in reality there’s not much the dealer can do. This is just my experience as a FCA tech.

Dealers are actually instructed to not replace a radio unless it actually has a hard failure. Any intermittent weird issues we/customers are told to wait for a software update.

I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear but it’s a little insight into what the reality is.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure either of those issues would be covered under lemon laws, but I am not familiar with Florida lemon laws. The ram box cover issue just sounds like shoddy dealer work.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
As an FCA tech and on my 2nd truck with ram boxes, I’ve never had any issues with them. I also rarely see trucks coming in for any issues with them. Sounds like you might just be unlucky with them.

As for the radio, absolutely they have issues sometimes and unless it’s a hard parts failure or there is a software update there’s not much that can be done about any minor issues. It all runs on software designed and written by people. There’s always going to be minor bugs/issues. Sometimes fixing one issue creates another. It’s just the way it is with modern day electronics trying to do several things at once.

I always compare it to a cell phone. I’m sure everyone has had their cell phone glitch out and do something weird every now and then. Yet people rarely start phoning up apple/Samsung/google etc. to complain. They usually just shrug it off. Yet when their radio in their car does something weird people will freak out at the dealer demanding they fix it, when in reality there’s not much the dealer can do. This is just my experience as a FCA tech.

Dealers are actually instructed to not replace a radio unless it actually has a hard failure. Any intermittent weird issues we/customers are told to wait for a software update.

I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear but it’s a little insight into what the reality is.

I understand you tech's that have to work on these trucks and interact with the public. IMHO the poor engineering of our trucks goes to the top of FCA and the dealers must pick up the crumbs. Some of these same issues date back years with FCA doing little to remedy them. That's just the way it is but we don't have to like it.

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny I think I also said I love driving the Ram. The problems I'm having seem to have been going on for a while. Does anyone besides the dingbat that commented first have any insight as to if these issues will be fixed because my service tech just apologizes and says they know of the problems but no fix .
You are polite using "Dingbat".There's a lot of good folks here but occasionally a total A-Hole appears

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I understand you tech's that have to work on these trucks and interact with the public. IMHO the poor engineering of our trucks goes to the top of FCA and the dealers must pick up the crumbs. Some of these same issues date back years with FCA doing little to remedy them. That's just the way it is but we don't have to like it.

Of course you don’t have to like it, hell I don’t like it, it’s just unfortunate that it’s the way the world is going.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My p
My post was the first response and I stick by it

Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer for service.

you need to find another dealer service dept. I don't see how ramboxes can't be fixed unless their techs are incompetent.

As far as the electronics, what are the issues you're having?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only issues Ive read about on the RamBox lids are fading (if they are the textured black non-painted) and warping from the sun/heat.

Is it possible yours are warped and not closing correctly?

As far as the radio goes....yeah, s/w is written by people, but UConnect has demonstrated that they just arent very good at it. Its one thing to have OTAs that seem to brick radios or break other features, its a whole other thing to not be able to roll back to a previous working version. They should be regression testing this stuff to the hilts, so there are no "oops we fixed bug A but introduced bug B thru M". Our trucks reliance on the head unit is so much that its an integral piece that needs to be treated importantly, yet UConnect regularly answers with "go see your dealer", and the dealer regularly says "wait for an update to fix the update".

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Tach_tech, as always explains the real world we and our trucks come out of. I recognize that there are some service departments that should be shut down douched out and start over. Facts are, there are many very good people working in many of these of dealerships. They start every vehicle complaint day, disadvantaged. They did not design, manufacture, assemble or sell the vehicle. But when the **** electronics fails that FCA buys from a 12 yr old kid manufacturing it in Malaysia with chop sticks, the service department must get out their pooper scooper. They are expected to meet our expectations. Make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Neither FCA, GM or Ford give this type of customer experience much attention. They focus only on NHTSA and economic return. Cam failures, exhaust leaks, bad lines of code in software, out of spec part runs, stuck fuel nozzles,,,,it is just the car business. It is all some one else's fault. Cynical? of course. But the fact is, marketing tells Management, "forget about it" consumers are ******. They trade out just before the warranty is up and they have no Brand loyalty. More and more of them are leasing so we switch/replace the vehicle. It is cheap and easy.TSB's, recalls and defect disclosure cost them money.
Over the years, I have found that getting satisfaction from the dealership starts with causing them to want to find a solution or fix the problem. I always start by telling the service advisor I want to speak with the tech and I will wait. When I talk with the tech, I start by recognizing that he did not cause this problem. I want to help him/her work smart. What do I need to tell you that will help us figure out this issue. If you draw a moron or a attitude tech, you will know it. Go to the service manager tell him/her if that tech works on you vehicle you will SC sue him and the dealership. I am a professional PIA. Will probably lose but it will screw up a few of your days. It works. Fitz

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Disappointed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My p

My post was the first response and I stick by it

you need to find another dealer service dept. I don't see how ramboxes can't be fixed unless their techs are incompetent.

As far as the electronics, what are the issues you're having?

I live in Florida and the truck is black forest green my thought is that the 3m tape that holds the lids on is getting too hot.

The electronics have intermittent problems cameras dosent turn on, will not hank up phone calls electronics just keep acting like there's a phone call and will not respond to any commands verbal or touchscreen. The screen will turn black and not respond unless turned on and off. But 90 percent of the time it works great. More glitch type stuff too

Thanks for the honest input

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I live in Florida and the truck is black forest green my thought is that the 3m tape that holds the lids on is getting too hot.

The electronics have intermittent problems cameras dosent turn on, will not hank up phone calls electronics just keep acting like there's a phone call and will not respond to any commands verbal or touchscreen. The screen will turn black and not respond unless turned on and off. But 90 percent of the time it works great. More glitch type stuff too

Thanks for the honest input

Pretty much all typical u-connect/radio issues. As for the hands free issues, a lot of those can actually be caused by the phone. I’ve seen a lot of issues of calls not connecting/dropping or it shows there’s a phone call but really isn’t. Majority of the time doing a hard reset on your phone and re-pairing it will fix it.

OP
OP
D

Disappointed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will give the phone a try.

As for the service dept. I am working with them . So far we have had a good relationship I'm now working directly with the service managers. They believe the problem with the ram box lids is the slight curve at the ends on the 2019 body . The 3m tape just isn't holding.

I was hoping some of you out there had experienced this and maybe had some answers on how your dealership fixed it. Thanks for all the input

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2016 Laramie. 60,000 miles. 2 trips per yr Ak-AZ. Never had a Rambox problem.