Ram Diesel 2014 Transmission / Gear selector problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jahaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi Rebel
Hello, So after my truck was parked for about 1 week i went to start it and was unable to because i got a "Service Transmission Continue in D. Do Not Shift or Turn Engine Off" message on screen. and all the lights on the electronic shifter was just blinking. So i grabbed my computer and scanned it. Got 2 codes from the shifter. U11C3 + U0101.

After this i checked all the fuses i could find and no problem. Then i decided to buy a used Gearshift switch. My original in the car had Part number : 68171965AH and the one i found used had 56054275AH. But after some research online it seems like it should fit my car. So i swapped the them around and still the exact same problem and exact same fault codes.

Now i have no clue what to do. Could it still be a problem with the Gearshift switch? Is the used one i bought faulty or does it not just match my car?

Any ideas would help.

Thanks in advance.

WireEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you verify that you have a fully charged battery? I know these systems get flaky when the batt gets below 11.5. Also you may have to clear those codes for the vehicle to be able to start, especially if it is a vehicle critical system.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check the wiring harness connectors at the transmission, that would cause the U0101 code.
Also if you have anything aftermarket attached to the CANbus or plugged into the OBD port try removing it and/or making sure it's set for: ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11bit/500k baud)

OP
OP
J

Jahaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi Rebel
Thanks for the fast respones, I checked the wiring harness along the frame under the driver seat that seems to be a common issue, But saw not fault and even cleaned it with some electrical cleaner and air. But when i scanned the car for codes i put a battery charger on the car and left it on, after 1 full day of charging i just checked the battery with a multimeter and it showed 12.02v, Seems kinda low? Think the battery might be bad and cause this problem?

Only aftermarket thing in the car is a radio. Looking at the connections going into the gear selector it does not look like it runs on the same lines as the radio?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
if the battery fully charged doesn't go up to at least 12.5V it's probably time for a new one.
The CANbus connects just about all the modules including things like the radio together even if it doesn't look like the wires run anywhere near each other.

OP
OP
J

Jahaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi Rebel
*FIXED*

So i ended up swapping battery, still same fault. But luckily i have a friend who has alldata and i could check wiring diagram between gear selector / transmission. So i started with checking power at the fuse box. no fault. Then when i got under the truck and was about to check power at the connector thats directly into the tranny i saw that one of wires that should have 12v looked like it had some rot on it. There is like 2-3 inches of wire that is not insulated from the plug into the transmission. And in middle of those 2-3 inches the wire had rot. No clue how this happend but i guess it's better that the wire finally quit working while the car was parked and not while i was in the middle of the highway or something.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.