RAM Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO initial quality really doesn’t mean that much. I care much more about long term quality and reliability in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup these trucks fall apart after a few years...lol...

I’ve had mixed results so far myself. I initially bought a used 2012 1500 with around 63k miles on it a few years ago and around 83k miles had the dreaded Hemi cam issue occur. Fortunately I had a warranty that covered the repair. I then traded the 2012 in on a new 2018 1500 that we’ve had for a little over two years now. I’ve got a few warranty issues I need to get resolved on this truck but overall it’s been a good truck for us.

The air suspension has had a few hiccups that make me nervous though. I had problems with the air suspension the first two winters but had zero issues this winter oddly enough. It’s definitely a finicky air suspension system IME.

Our lease is up next April - after which I’m not sure what we will end up doing. I would consider a new RAM 1500 - but I’m fairly picky about my options and on the truck size. I held out to find a CC with the standard bed and ramboxes for our 2018, which are hard to find. Currently the 5th gen RAM 1500s are not even available in this config though. I am considering a Power Wagon instead, but they are pricey and aren’t discounted nearly as much as the 1500’s from what I’ve seen.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO initial quality really doesn’t mean that much. I care much more about long term quality and reliability in comparison.

I agree, while its under warranty isn't the problem, it's after the warranty and I have to pay for it myself.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Considering there have been some complaints about the 5th Gen in relation to electronics, this is actually a good thing. Maybe Ram has figured out the initial problems they were having. Long term is still up in the air, but it is promising that this has improved from last year.

OP
OP
Narg

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Keep in mind folks, this is the 2020 year models. By brand, not maker. And, it's 100% owner feedback which can be far from reality. Or, really close to reality. YMMV.

Eagle2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Oh man, I’m so jealous of owners with trucks that aren’t problems. I see a couple of guys at work that love their Rams and here I am practically living at the dealer for the entire year I’ve owned mine :( My truck falls into the things falling apart but it started at around 20,000 km lol just waiting for the next hiccup.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am waiting for the '21 models to come out, and then I am moving from a long trail of BMW's into a Ram Limited. I have always leased, but was considering an outright purchase on the Ram, but I am a little nervous about the quality track record from Chrysler products. I am rethinking the purchase and leaning toward leasing to avoid problems once the warranty is gone. Too many expensive gadgets to fail!!

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
I am waiting for the '21 models to come out, and then I am moving from a long trail of BMW's into a Ram Limited. I have always leased, but was considering an outright purchase on the Ram, but I am a little nervous about the quality track record from Chrysler products. I am rethinking the purchase and leaning toward leasing to avoid problems once the warranty is gone. Too many expensive gadgets to fail!!

I’m kind of in the same boat. Debating whether i should get a 20 Ram 1500 limited with the 0% interest, wait for the 21 or get a 21 F150 limited once the details of their hybrid come out.

I dont think there is a lot of difference between the 20 and 21 Ram right?

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont think there is a lot of difference between the 20 and 21 Ram right?[/QUOTE]

I'm hearing changes are coming in 21, especially the HD's.....the reason I'm waiting.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That list looks pretty accurate to me. I have 2 Kias and both have been bulletproof. Neither one has been back to the dealer for anything, and mine is up to 160k miles and my wife's is up to 75k miles. So far my Ram has been pretty good, only back for recalls so far in 1.5 years.

Rick2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That list looks pretty accurate to me. I have 2 Kias and both have been bulletproof. Neither one has been back to the dealer for anything, and mine is up to 160k miles and my wife's is up to 75k miles. So far my Ram has been pretty good, only back for recalls so far in 1.5 years.

Same here, 2 Kia's and I would buy another in a heartbeat (and probably will). My 2019 3500 has also been great so far.

Rick

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok talking cousins here.

Bought my 2 daughter's Hyundai Elantras and my wife a Hyundai Santa fe and no issues to report.

They don't tow with my Ram though. Lol

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Sorry for the poor quality of this pic, but seems to me this is very telling... :)

PGFKGqj.jpg
Uh... Am I missing something in the graphic??? (It is late after all)

According to that, it looks to me like ram is in tied for the #3 spot for least amount of problems per 100 vehicles produced ...

ie:
Ram = 142 problems per 100 vehicles

Same as Chevy...

Ford = 174 problems per 100 vehicles

At the bottom...

LandRover = 228 problems per 100 vehicles

--------

Seems like Ram is doing something right to me.

M² Mods.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok talking cousins here.

Bought my 2 daughter's Hyundai Elantras and my wife a Hyundai Santa fe and no issues to report.

They don't tow with my Ram though. Lol
I also bought one for my daughter and hers has been bulletproof so far (Kia). My brother and mother saw mine were so good they got their own, newer models than mine but have also been bulletproof. My house looks like a Kia Soul convention on the holidays :rotflmao::roflsquared::guile-1: