Ram Shopping Help Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
Listed on the ad as 3.92's? Or do they have the window sticker or build sheet for it? If it's just the ad, don't take their word for it, I've seen plenty posted with incorrect information.

Both the ad and the mopar.com site that you can sign up and enter the vin number, to see the options on a vehicle.

I’m currently the owner of over a dozen rams as I compare them on paper!!! Lol Since we are currently in Northern Mi until Sat afternoon, it makes it tough to go look at any.

TY again!!!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both the ad and the mopar.com site that you can sign up and enter the vin number, to see the options on a vehicle.

I’m currently the owner of over a dozen rams as I compare them on paper!!! Lol Since we are currently in Northern Mi until Sat afternoon, it makes it tough to go look at any.

TY again!!!

Ok good glad to hear that! Usually people are just taking dealers words for things which I never understood but I'm glad to see that's not the case here, happy hunting I'm sure you'll find the right one!

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
Plus Canadian trucks aren't covered by FCA warranty in USA.

M² Mods.

That was something I hadn’t thought about!!! We stopped at a dealer earlier today and in talking he mentioned that. Mainly because I asked if the ferd was a US or Canada truck.

TY for mentioning it!!!

Ok good glad to hear that! Usually people are just taking dealers words for things which I never understood but I'm glad to see that's not the case here, happy hunting I'm sure you'll find the right one!

TY!!!

I do try to cover all the bases, maybe sometimes a little too much!! Lol

TY to all for the help!!!

We have found a few possibilities, so I guess we will see what happened...

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do try to cover all the bases, maybe sometimes a little too much!! Lol

TY to all for the help!!!

I don't blame you at all there! With trucks like these and how much they cost I don't think there's such a thing as too much research prior to buying. Glad we could help and thank you for being so well informed!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Look on some dealer lots too, they usually have some leftovers they haven't sold and are probably looking to get them gone for less than what they would normally sell them for...

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Careful with the 3.21 gearset... a Pentastar (v6 3.6L) with the 3.21 gearset has a max tow of ~4400 lbs.

Pretty sure a 5.7L v8 Hemi with 3.21 is going to be barely enough to safely drag a 5,000 lb boat... so if you can, IMHO avoid the 3.21 gearset if you know you're towing a 5,000 lb boat. Doubly so if that boat is going over any hilly roads to get to or from the ramp.

(I have the 3.21 gearset, but I don't tow anything over 3500 lbs, so I'm good.)
I have an 8 speed with 3.21 gears, 305/55/20 Falkens Wild Peaks at 72 lbs a piece, 2.8 Bils, 1.5 rear coil spacers, 2.5 inch wheel spacers, putting my tires in the wind, and it pulls my 21 foot ski boat around with no problems at all. Actually, it does a great job! I can still get over 20 mpg (without the boat of course) if I drive it right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
TY to all!!!

If you guys knew where this al started on what we hoped we could find a truck for, even if it wa a older reg cab you wold laugh!!! Used truck prices are crazy!!! And you guys wouldn’t believe how many canada tucks are in the area.

We have been looking at dealer lots as there isn’t much used in our area. Even when searching up to 200 miles from our zip code.... We haven’t seen a new truck for the “right”price with the right options though.

My wife will be driving this new to us truck when we go camping to tow the boat, so she plans to drive it on a somewhat regular basis just to be comfortable with it. That way when towing she feels better than not knowing the truck much.

So, it has grown into wanting the large display radio, nicer gauge cluster, and buckets if the right truck has them... I’m looking for the most gearing possible, trailer mirrors, and brake controller... Main reason is she liked the look of the ‘11 we drove with the 35s. So once we find the truck, I’m sure I will have some questions regarding leaving/lift kits.

So because of wanting a mild level/lift, I have ruled out the v6, and am only looking at the 5.7.

UPS,

TY for the feedback on your truck set up and how it performs. If you don’t mind me asking what state are you in to compare terrain. Though here in Mid Mi we don’t have terrain that is to tough for towing! Lol But if we can grab a 3.92 truck we will.

I will keep you guys posted!

TY again!!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you considered also looking at 2500s in your search. Might expand your selection.

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
W
Have you considered also looking at 2500s in your search. Might expand your selection.

We have looked some. But to get the options the better half is interested in, good mileage, and the right price they seem to be a little too high price wise.

I keep trying to convince her to spend a little more still and get a diesel. That way we don’t need to consider replacing my gasser 2500 in a few years.

TY for the suggestion in case we hadn’t considered it!!!!

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
So, couple questions....

Exactly what is the Rebel option wise vs a Big Horn or Outdoorsman?

How bad is the air suspension in terms of reliability and service/replacement down the road??? Or the possibility of upgrading the suspension? Do you have to stay with the stock air system? I have seen most leveling kits do not work with the air system.

We are trying to decide which truck to go look at since the ‘18 Big Horn Black Crystal we found and liked probably won’t have a set price or be ready to sell for another day or two. It was just traded in: ~36k miles with all the options we would like except a locking rear. Salesman thinks this may be $32-33k, but not sure yet. It needs tires, so we would probably do a level/lift right away. Edited to add the price has been posted on the website at $30k.

‘16 Gray Outdoorsman with all the options we would like. ~35k miles. $28,900.

‘16 White Outdoorsman with most of the options we would like: no tow mirrors/controller, or alpine system. ~46k miles.$27k

‘16 Rebel Black Crystal, ~25k, no tow mirrors, but it does have the brake controller, factory spray in bedliner, and a tonneau cover. Tires are decent from what I remember. $35k.

We have seen, but not driven both Black Crystal trucks. Both are in very good shape. We do like the all body color grille and bumpers if possible vs the chrome bumpers of the Outdoorsman. We have not seen either Outdoorsman besides the pics.

So which do you think you would go try to look at tonight? The Gray or White Outdoorsman, or test drive the Rebel? Just trying to look at all options.

But I do know my wife’s first choice is either the ‘18 Big Horn based on looks and Apple airplay, or the Rebel based on looks.

TY!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
Should add the ‘18 would need nerf bars, bedliner, and a tonneau cover.

Both the Outdoorsmans will need the bedliner and a tonneau cover.

TY!!!

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The first thing you need to figure out is if you want chrome or painted bumpers.
If it were me ide go with the Grey outdoorsman or the Rebel (if it had the black on the lower bumper and not the grey lol).
I bought a truck once that needed tires. Life happened and had to wait a bit before I could replace them. The other options you can add at your leisure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The first thing you need to figure out is if you want chrome or painted bumpers.
If it were me ide go with the Grey outdoorsman or the Rebel (if it had the black on the lower bumper and not the grey lol).
I bought a truck once that needed tires. Life happened and had to wait a bit before I could replace them. The other options you can add at your leisure.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine

We do prefer the body color grille and bumpers if all else was equal. But if one was considerably less that had chrome bumpers it isn't a deal breaker.

Out of curiosity, whu would you choose the Rebel or Gray ‘16?

My concern with the Rebel is the air suspension. Though it is sweet how you can change the level to get in&out, or when off road. We drove it tonight, definitely a nice truck!!! It will need tires by winter though. Plus it is $35k, though it is a sweet truck!!!

We took a drive up to look at the ‘18 again. It has been washed, but not inspected yet so we didn’t drive it. Talking with the salesman, he said if it’s deemed it needs tires, they will be put on at the online posted price. Or we could get a credit towards the truck if we went and bough tires ourselves. And maybe I’m crazy, but this truck is only $1k more than the Gray ‘16 so while simile mileage it seems like maybe the ‘18 is the better choice???

TY to all for the help along this journey!!!

I will say the 8spd/3.92 can move!!! Holy smokes!!!

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We do prefer the body color grille and bumpers if all else was equal. But if one was considerably less that had chrome bumpers it isn't a deal breaker.

Out of curiosity, whu would you choose the Rebel or Gray ‘16?

My concern with the Rebel is the air suspension. Though it is sweet how you can change the level to get in&out, or when off road. We drove it tonight, definitely a nice truck!!! It will need tires by winter though. Plus it is $35k, though it is a sweet truck!!!

We took a drive up to look at the ‘18 again. It has been washed, but not inspected yet so we didn’t drive it. Talking with the salesman, he said if it’s deemed it needs tires, they will be put on at the online posted price. Or we could get a credit towards the truck if we went and bough tires ourselves. And maybe I’m crazy, but this truck is only $1k more than the Gray ‘16 so while simile mileage it seems like maybe the ‘18 is the better choice???

TY to all for the help along this journey!!!

I will say the 8spd/3.92 can move!!! Holy smokes!!!

I would definitely avoid factory air suspension (forgot the Rebel you mentioned had it). I have read numerous posts from those whom have it and have issues. My buddy had it in his longhorn and he wound up trading it due to the issues.
And 36k on a 2018 is a LOT of miles. What’s the trucks history? I would avoid fleet/company/rental histories.
The grey outdoorsman you said had everything you wanted. That’s what I would go with. Or if you want painted bumpers, buy an Express that has most of the options and add the rest yourself (that’s what I did coming from a sport).
And yes definitely 3.92 w/ 5.7 is the way to go.

OP
OP
B

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
I would definitely avoid factory air suspension (forgot the Rebel you mentioned had it). I have read numerous posts from those whom have it and have issues. My buddy had it in his longhorn and he wound up trading it due to the issues.
And 36k on a 2018 is a LOT of miles. What’s the trucks history? I would avoid fleet/company/rental histories.
The grey outdoorsman you said had everything you wanted. That’s what I would go with. Or if you want painted bumpers, buy an Express that has most of the options and add the rest yourself (that’s what I did coming from a sport).
And yes definitely 3.92 w/ 5.7 is the way to go.

TY!

Per the carfax it looks like the ‘18 was owned for just over 1.5yrs, so it is ~2k month. I know that’s a fair amount, but not super crazy. About the only thing this doesn’t have is the alpine stereo (not a huge deal, but nice to have), and the locking rear end. But it is all body color...

I did see there is an ‘18 Sport with everything we would prefer, including the sport hood available at the same dealer as the ‘18. No price though listed, so need to inquire on that. ~18k miles.

TY!

Last edited:

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We are currently shopping for a new to us truck to tow or ~5k lb boat.

Per the advice of a couple members, we are shying away from the 11/12 Hemi’s due to the potential lifter and cam issue... We may still go for a slightly older model of the condition/ mileage/ price is right (pre - ‘09).

I am more familiar with the GM Twins, so please bear with me and help.

One question I have is regarding the different trans and axle ratio, and how they compare from different years.

How do the different speed trans compare when paired with the different ratios?

Example being we did drive an ‘11 5.7/5spd/3.55 crew with 35s, and I was a little surprised at the pick up the truck still had with the 35” rubber...

So how would a 5.7/8spd/3.21 compare? I’m sure a 6spd/3.55 would be better than the 5spd/3.55s, but just trying to get a grasp of what to possibly try to focus on firbthe axle ratio/ trans combo, and what to expect whether towing or not.

TY!!!

Blue i have the 321s in our 5.7 Ram and i pull a dump trailer couple times a year loaded at around 10,000 in roiling hills i just put it into tow mode and let it do it thing the truck handles the trailer with no problem. Now if i was towing every day i would go to a different gear ratio but for a occasional tow i cant see worrying about this and your boat weight is not going to be noticeable. But what do i know ? Just been towing trailers and stuff for over 60 yrs.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem. Also figure out how much it is to add the options you want, then price a truck you can add them too (nerf bars, radio, tonneau cover, line-x bed). Most can be purchased on CL, EBay, Amazon, Letgo for cheap.