Ram sport 1500 5.7 hemi starting and dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KinzieB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 ram sport 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Took it in for a check engine light. Turns out it needed a new fuel rail sensor. (Keep in mind the truck had no issues prior to this) had that replaced, and had it home for barely a week and started acting up. Died twice driving up hill. We reset the battery started up and ran great. Following morning started up and died immediately 3 times in a row. Got it started by giving it gas. Noticed it was leaking fluid. It leaked all the coolant out of the tank and noticed the water pump was leaking. Took it back in and needed a new water pump and air temp sensor. Got it back, fired up just fine and ran. Let it sit over night and did the same thing in the morning started up and died. this time we got it started the same way. Giving it gas and it stayed running but When driving it back to the shop it was not accelerating up the hill and seemed sluggish. They thought the new fuel rail sensor was bad and replaced that one. Once again fired up fine and ran but the following morning did the same thing started up and died. The shop basically threw their hands up and told us to take it elsewhere. We currently have it being looked at, at a ram dealership but they have yet to figure it out. No check engine light and not throwing any codes. Any idea of what could be going on? I’m thinking it needs a new fuel pump but being told otherwise

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KinzieB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn’t told it need to be replaced. You’d think they would be smart enough to look at that right? LOL

OP
OP
K

KinzieB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would be surprised...
♀️ I will mentioned that when I call them. It seems that it only does it when it sits for 12+ hours. Otherwise once you get it started and let it sit for a few hours it will start up and run fine. I noticed that when it will die. The idle sounds rough.