Ram sputters and stops won't restart .engine seems locked up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Shaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 dodge ram
Engine
Hemi
You
I have a 2011 dodge ram with a hemi. The just sputtered and dies when it was idling perfectly. I first thought it was the fuel pump but tried to start it and it sputters and died then it would not turn over and the starter started smoking. It seemed that the motor has locked up. I put a wrench on the flywheel and turned smoothly but only halfway around and halfway back. What could be the problem?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Need more info or we could be here all night.

Any codes?
Oil level & condition?
How many miles on it?
Any water in the oil?
Any oil in the water/antifreeze?
Has it started since?
Wiring to starter all tight?
What smoked, hot wire or the starter itself?
Does the starter solenoid kick in & out?

Try removing some spark plugs to relieve combustion pressure and see if it spins over using a bar or wrench.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much force did you use when you said you turned it with a wrench from the flywheel? There is a point where the compression will make it feel like it stops turning. Try using a socket and a long breaker bar on the front crank bolt. The wrench may not give you good enough leverage to actually defeat the compression stroke. If it still only turns a small amount and stops, leave it in that stopped position and try to start it with the key. If it doesn't crank over try turning again manually in the opposite direction until it stops and try the key again. If it cranks over but stops in the same position then you more than likely have internal damage. If it does not turn over at all then start checking the electrical components (starter, ignition switch) for proper functions. Also make sure you checked the basics like mentioned in the previous post