Rambox Tonneau cover recommendation please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to both my 2012 RAM 1500 CC and to this forum. I searched a bit on the forum but didn't find a thread dedicated to this topic (could be I just don't know where to look though). The truck is CPO and in good condition, had the dealer install a new spray-on bedliner since whomever owned it beforehand used something that was wearing off. Bed looks great now (Line-X did the work locally). Need some recommendations on a good tonneau cover for a 5.8 foot bed with Ramboxes.

Ramboxes seem to limit the choices quite a bit from what I've gathered to date, as most aftermarket companies don't build covers for the Rambox models. Ideally I'd like a body color paintable tonneau hard cover, foldable for ease of use. I love the look of the single hinged hard covers that are body painted, but to date have not been able to find one for a rambox model. I cannot find a paintable hard folding cover either, does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket tonneau cover for ramboxes that is paintable? If not, how about a hard/lockable three piece foldable model? I've found BAK, Truxedo, and Retrax produce some Rambox compatible covers.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an Extang trifold on mine with the rambox. It's also available in a solidfold version.

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the BAK VP on mine and really like it. Someone took one of the aluminum roll up covers and painted it body color. Not sure if it was on this forum, but it looked really neat.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gents thanks for the replies to date. Bakflip is currently running a sale. I'm looking at the Bakflip HD cover. Are we allowed to post prices on this site? I don't want to violate T&Cs by posting the price quote I got today. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't currently have a cover, but am looking at the Bak mx4. So far it's the one I like best from my research.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't currently have a cover, but am looking at the Bak mx4. So far it's the one I like best from my research.

Bakflip is currently having their summer sale and I'm seeing 15% off their usual discounted pricing with free shipping as well. Just saying. [emoji6]

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a Bakflip HD cover tonight, looking forward to getting it shipped and installed!

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I just bought a Bakflip HD cover tonight, looking forward to getting it shipped and installed!

Nice choice. Bak is a solid cover with a low profile design. Where did you purchase yours? I just checked Bak Flip - 4wheelonline.com and looks like they have good pricing also.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice choice. Bak is a solid cover with a low profile design. Where did you purchase yours? I just checked Bak Flip - 4wheelonline.com and looks like they have good pricing also.

I purchased direct from Bakflip on a Tuesday Tonneau special sale. Just got it on Wednesday and am planning on installing it this weekend. I will take some pics and post...

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what is the difference between the hd and mx4? Does the hd allow opening/closing the tailgate without lifting the cover? I was looking at bak's website and the hd model was tough to find, had to google it to get a link to it. Thought maybe it was discontinued, but after reading it doesn't seem like it, but wonder why it's not listed in products on their site.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the HD Bakflip last weekend. It does not allow opening/closing the tailgate without lifting the cover. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post them up.

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am looking for a tonneau cover for my 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn with Rambox. Found this video of a Bak install: https://youtu.be/b6GY2spfj7Y
Part that caught my eye, around 3:53 he opens the Rambox. I noticed that the weather stripping deforms as he opens it, presses against the lid and he has to hold it open. Then when it closes it appears to reseal, but in cold weather I'm concerned that this won't happen.

Thoughts?

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does push on the weather stripping, I opened mine this morning, it was about 34 degrees and it was still very pliable. No deforming that I could see and it went back quickly. Time will tell when it gets really cold though.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took some pics today. Before opening, while open and after closing. Never got above 40 degrees today here.

Attachments

• Box before open.jpg
    Box before open.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Box open.jpg
    Box open.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Box after close.jpg
    Box after close.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 77

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW I have the G2 version of the Bakflip and its ****. This is my second one. I've had this cover maybe 2 years. The 'inbetween' panel seals have pulled away from the edges leaving gaps (all seals have done this) so now mine leaks. I have temporarily used RTV to close the leaks which has helped some. Also, from opening and closing the thing, I guess I'm just not gentle enough, but this cover (and the previous) leaves indention's on the panels. I even called Bakflip and asked about replacement seals...none available. Hope you have better luck than I have. I won't buy from them again.

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Wow... if you had to do it again, what would you buy instead?

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow... if you had to do it again, what would you buy instead?

Honestly I'm just not sure. This G2 experience left a bad taste in my mouth along with their customer support-or lack of. I'd like to go with a roll type but the damn drum eats too much space. So right now, I really not sure what my next route will be.

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yesterday I ordered a Bakflip F1, it's supposed to be here Wednesday.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? :)

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the Bakflip HD for a few months now and so far so good, we'll see how it fares during the winter months.