Rattle on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anyone with a 13 get a weird hollow type rattling under the truck towards the rear wheels on start up? Only last a 10 seconds or so but its very noticeable. Sounds like something with the exhaust and its only on cold start up not when the car is already warmed up. Im gonna have to get under it and take a good listen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Anyone with a 13 get a weird hollow type rattling under the truck towards the rear wheels on start up? Only last a 10 seconds or so but its very noticeable. Sounds like something with the exhaust and its only on cold start up not when the car is already warmed up. Im gonna have to get under it and take a good listen.

used to happen on my mustang on cold starts as it would rev higher and shake the exhaust until the rpms died down. i got it checked out by ford and a couple of other shops and they didnt find anything.

it did that for almost 5 years without a problem before i traded it in for the ram.

perhaps have it looked at anyway at your next oil change.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds like when the truck is in "open loop". When you first start it cold, the PCM is in "open loop" it runs a bit richer, more fuel, more air, kind of like a choke. Then it goes to "partial" and then "closed" loop or regular idle. [2cents]

OP
OP
Doc221

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Still happening on start up. Def seems like the exhaust is rattling but only for the first 10-20 seconds after cold start up. Looked under and only thing I could see is 2 pipes touching after the muffler. Everyone else have these pipes touching? Picture is from the back of the truck.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376057912464.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376057912464.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 135

Country

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's your problem. Those are not suppose to be touching.

My 2013 passenger side exhaust tip was pushed in much further than my drivers side. I loosened the clamp on that pipe at the muffler and adjusted so they line up. Yours must have been built on the same day as mine, LOL! Just loosen the clamp on the muffler that's holding the passenger side pipe on and adjust so they are not touching. Easy process but you may have to really wiggle it or use a rubber hammer to get the pipe loose from the muffler after you undo the clamp. Turn it a bit so the pipes don't touch, you'll be good to go!

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still happening on start up. Def seems like the exhaust is rattling but only for the first 10-20 seconds after cold start up. Looked under and only thing I could see is 2 pipes touching after the muffler. Everyone else have these pipes touching? Picture is from the back of the truck.

Good eye! Those should not be touching.

Fix it now, before the joints get rusty and grimey and it is harder to fix later.

OP
OP
Doc221

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks guys. Weird that it doesn't keep rattling just does for the first 20 sec or so. I plan on putting a mufflex system in soon so I can correct it then.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is what kids are for, tie one under there and let them tell you where it is coming from?

OP
OP
Doc221

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mufflex system on amd rattle is gone. Must have been the pipes touching

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mufflex system on amd rattle is gone. Must have been the pipes touching

Mine does the exact same thing even after I had my Maggy put on. Only for 10-20 secs as well on cold start up. Might have to see if my pipes are touching. Why would it only happen for a couple seconds and go away?

OP
OP
Doc221

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thats what I couldnt figure out but I def had pipes touching.