Rear Anti SWAY BARS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do any of the experts out there know of testing results confirming a thicker than OEM anti sway bar prevents body roll at high speeds..about 80mph..as in emergencies?
Thanks

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing except zero suspension is going to prevent body roll. But, yes, the Hellweg reduces body roll considerably. I tow a fiver with the high Andersen mount, and body roll is really reduced and gives much better handling.
For the 5th gen, you can install a Hellweg front sway bar to reduce front end dive and roll also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But a vehicle alone that rolls slightly causing driver corrections is that worth a larger rear anti sway bar! I think the current one is a mere 3/8 thick. What would be reasonable!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO, my hellwig rear sway bar is one of my top 3 mods I have done to my truck, mine is set in the middle position and I never tried it stiffer or softer. It was just right from the get go.

Highly recommend. Made my truck feel much more planted and it totally killed the, "floating feeling" my stock suspension had. Especially going over expansion joints on an interchange ramp on the freeway.

I am not sure thicker means better. I would assume the material and heat treat changed too?

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’ve to read from any negative from adding a hellwig.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slightly unrelated but not entirely, what would the symptoms be of a too stiff sway bar?
Depends on if in the front or rear.
Rear it might cause oversteer and less traction in the rear when pushed near the limit.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I replaced my hellwig, with a road master bar for the 2500.

My truck corners flat with no ill effects. I have it on both my lowered 14RT and my 16 crew cab. The 16 is road trips and pulling the 14 x 7 tandem trailer. Much better bar in my humble opinion.

Other opinions may vary

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I installed the Hellwig on mine. Made a significant difference with the truck camper. New bushings in the OEM front also was noticeable at 75K.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have hellwig. Nice part, it has three positions. Bad part. At least one I got. Wasn't coated. It's now "Rusty" I should have coated it, but I didn't. Guess I could blame myself. For the price it should have been coated.
Nice part, since I off-road a lot. It's pretty easy to disconnect and put back when I'm done.

I've seen on this forum and other forums, people have gotten poor quality. E.g. holes were wrong, or not matching, or not just poorly done.
Mine was fine though.

Oh, funny. Sometimes I forget to hook it back up, or so much mud or snow/ice , I don't even notice it's not hooked up. Until zip ties break and I heard loud banging noise.