Rear axle ratio vs mpg.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What’s your normal cruising speed when in 8th gear ? Thanks

Generally I drive like a grandma.

On rural roads, I'm driving about 55 mph.
On freeway, about 65 mph.

I do drive faster on occasion, but never beyond 75/80 mph.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I drive approximately 3 mph over the posted speed

I did that with my old 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L
i do it now with my 2016 Ram 3.0L Eco-diesel

although when i drive in Texas, i pass through El Paso to Van Horn watching for police.
After Van Horn, i leave the I-10 & get on I-20, from there to Odessa, i have to watch my speed.
It is so desolate out there, i have found myself doing 10 MPH over the posted speed.
10 over the posted speed anywhere is a Reckless Driving ticket. That is bad for everyone, but much worse for Class A drivers.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I agree, I would just not want to go down the road at 65 or so any lower than the 1900 RPM mine is turning. That's why I looked for one with the 3.55's. I do tow but not often, so the 3.92's would be wrong for me overall. I do not know how accurate the "you are getting? MPG indicator is nor do I know if same in all trucks. I just use it to compare what I get on my truck. I so far have never been under 17.9 average for a complete tank full. I reset my trip "1" each fill.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just curious . Thanks again.
BOIRD drives normally. No hard rushes off of line, within 5 mph of limit. So I almost never see 8th gear in town, as highest speed limit is loop at 60 mph. Now on Highway, like IH 35, running between 70-85 mph, so in 8th above 70 unless maintaining speed and going up grade, tranny will downshift to 7th. Of course at the same time, be running 80 mph, than all of a sudden down to 15 mph. Welcome to IH 35 and the Greater Austin area. Best be paying attention, LOL. May be why I avoid that area most of the time, which is basically always, and DO NOT RUN my Trike there at all.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Took a 300 mile trip from Buffalo NY to Lake George NY mostly highway, bed full of firewood inside filled with luggage, crew cab hemi standard box with the 3.92 got 17.5 mpg going mostly 75 mph + and driving without a care of fuel passing the slow folks. I don’t think that’s bad at all, didn’t feel the bed full of wood either.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took a 300 mile trip from Buffalo NY to Lake George NY mostly highway, bed full of firewood inside filled with luggage, crew cab hemi standard box with the 3.92 got 17.5 mpg going mostly 75 mph + and driving without a care of fuel passing the slow folks. I don’t think that’s bad at all, didn’t feel the bed full of wood either.
Driven past the Lake George exit many a time on the "Northway", but not sure if stopped in the area. Back in the day spent 4 years at Plattsburgh AFB and also worked both Winter Olympics back in the day also. Maybe U could go up there on the old airbase and look for some of the BOIRD's frozen body parts? lol... :angels25:

JimID

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 - Limited Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi MDS VVT
LOL
I paid real good attention to final year High School English

she wore plaid skirts that touched her knee caps
she had a real nice profile
she had recently graduated from college, she was a substitute teacher

she passed me because i was very attentive

I never cared to study & could not wait to get out of school

Joined the Navy & went to boot camp, had to study, graduated
then they sent me to Aviation Ordnance "A" School in Jacksonville Florida, where i learned to handle Explosives, bombs, missiles, rockets, 20 mm ammo, etc. For that Class, i really paid attention
I played basketball..... :)