Rear end locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bonus! Since they are in the 'giving' mood, ask them if you qualify for the new cam and lifters recall that you heard about on social media. LOL :33:

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bonus! Since they are in the 'giving' mood, ask them if you qualify for the new cam and lifters recall that you heard about on social media. LOL :33:
Well I don’t know for sure yet if there in the ‘giving’ mood lol. We all know they will say one thing over the phone then change the story when it gets there. One question though I’ve never had a recall done before so will they will cover everything that was damaged as a result of the recalled item failing or just the recalled item?

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Holly crap….. talk about having a grenade going off o_Oo_Oo_O

jetmech87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, I’ve been there. Violent is the word! It happened to my 03 years ago. I’m pretty sure mine slung the pinion nut.
Same diff is in the truck today (overhauled of course!) Check out the teeth marks the gears left. 51D238B5-B6E4-4981-9739-4A622E199172.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got more pictures before getting the truck towed to the dealership. Here’s the worst side of the transfer case.

You can also see the threads on both the pinion shaft and the nut that’s still captured between the driveshaft flange and pinion flange are fine. So the only possible way for it to come apart is by unthreading.6ACE676A-9943-451F-816F-130F722792A4.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
71B9B380-58A9-48E7-B2D6-A484A5867D54.jpegBA6B363E-1987-4DE4-8049-35900B184069.jpegE7350166-C853-4CB6-A543-6B651495659F.jpeg
Took pictures of the 2 flanges still bolted together so they can’t try and say anything different since the 2 clearly haven’t been separated for a while due to the corrosion and bolts not being disturbed or anything.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, your tk's transfer case internals look nice and clean!

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too clean, I would expect oil all over everything. You DID refill it when you changed it didn't you?
Of course I did. That picture was taken a day after everything happened so everything has already dripped out, plus as mentioned before I was driving when it happened so everything behind where the picture is taken is covered as that’s where the wind blew the fluid. Aside from that the problem didn’t start at the transfer case, it was just taken out in the process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got off the phone with my local dealer. They inspected the truck already and promptly informed me what all was damaged and that it would $5000+ for parts and labor to have the work done. They made zero mention of the recall. I told them that the whole reason it was there was to do an inspection and see if it would be covered under the M34/N08 recall and that I already spoke with the FCA Recall center and confirmed my vin number was affected by it. The guy on the phone said he have to go talk to someone and then came back about 5min later and said that they would have to call there claim center and that the tech did say the pinion nut did infact back off causing what happened. He said at this time they aren’t sure what would be covered if any at all. It seems to me like they tried to pull somthing on me with making zero mention of any recall at all when they first called with an update. If this continues are there any other avenues I can take that bypasses the dealer?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just got off the phone with my local dealer. They inspected the truck already and promptly informed me what all was damaged and that it would $5000+ for parts and labor to have the work done. They made zero mention of the recall. I told them that the whole reason it was there was to do an inspection and see if it would be covered under the M34/N08 recall and that I already spoke with the FCA Recall center and confirmed my vin number was affected by it. The guy on the phone said he have to go talk to someone and then came back about 5min later and said that they would have to call there claim center and that the tech did say the pinion nut did infact back off causing what happened. He said at this time they aren’t sure what would be covered if any at all. It seems to me like they tried to pull somthing on me with making zero mention of any recall at all when they first called with an update. If this continues are there any other avenues I can take that bypasses the dealer?
Never trust a dealer , ram or drug .Verify and get it in writing if possible .

The Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hate to hear you had this problem.This happen to my ,05 Ram 1500 Daytona. The rear end locked up & knocked a big hoe in the rear end on the side just like you said. Flatbed to the shop & they said it was either a clip came off or the lug nut came unloosen. Ram dealer put a new rear end in but used the old breaks, lines etc. Also put in new driveshaft. No coast to me. The wanted to put in a used parts but NO-DEAL. Mine happen before the bulletin came out It was about 5 years ago. If in any dout replace any thing that loos of or put pressure on the drive train . Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never trust a dealer , ram or drug .Verify and get it in writing if possible .
They actually have an advisor that is texting me since I’m at work and can’t call so I have all of it in messaging. They just got back with me and said everything is approved for replacement through the recall. They said the driveshaft and transfer case is 5-7 days out however the axle is discontinued so I might have to cover it if they can’t find anything. I reminded them that the NHTSA states that if a recalled item fails I’m am legally entitled to a running and driving vehicle just as it was before at no extra cost to me after everything is said and done. With that either being my current truck being repaired with OEM parts or a replacement vehicle of the same year make and mode issued to me at no cost. All of this coming directly from the NHTSA website. Waiting to here back after I said that.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am in Canada , o you may be different, but I would not think so.
Recalls are for used, any owner, But I also get letters in the mail when a recall is out for my truck.
If you are the original owner , you should have got one in the mail.
The dealer will not offer free if they don't have to ,as they don't make as much on warranty work.
I have never had a problem with them, but than , never had any problem with my trucks.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Wow. Just Wow. You were lucky.

My Dad's 1973 Ford Capri's differential locked up and totaled the car in the accident that resulted. Car was 8 months old. Was a sweat car: a V-6 with a manual transmission. Dealer mechanic and insurance company agreed that the differential fluid plug was mis-threaded at the German factory. Ford gave him a new car. He ordered the weird Mustang II with a V-8. He had a 1969 Mustang convertible before trying the Capri... then he said he'd never buy another foreign car again... and was true to his word.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in Canada , o you may be different, but I would not think so.
Recalls are for used, any owner, But I also get letters in the mail when a recall is out for my truck.
If you are the original owner , you should have got one in the mail.
The dealer will not offer free if they don't have to ,as they don't make as much on warranty work.
I have never had a problem with them, but than , never had any problem with my trucks.
I am not the original owner so I did not get a notice. However, regardless of me being the original owner or not recalls are still factory defects. If a recall affects a vehicle the manufacture/dealer is required to fix that defect as zero cost to the owner as it is a safety concern. I’ve done a ton of research the last few days and the rules/laws on it are very clear. If the problem/damage is evaluated and it proven to have been caused by a recalled item the owner is entitled to have all damaged parts fixed as zero cost to them, and if that is not possible due to certain circumstances they are entitled to a nearly identical vehicle of the same year make and model.

goodn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9L
So I was driving 55-60mph on my way to work when I started hearing a whining sound when letting off the throttle and coasting, fast forward a couple miles and I hear a banging under the truck and the engine just revved and would not accelerate anymore, and the tires locked up. Got over to the side of the road and found a mess of broken parts under the truck. The driveshaft was about 100ft behind me in the middle of the road, the transfer case is cracked and missing a large chunk of the case on the passenger side, and the differential is locked up 100% as well as the pinion bearing completely destroyed and the pinion nut/flange ripped off and still attached the to the driveshaft. My theory is the differential locked up, broke the ujoints and threw off the driveshaft and cracked the transfer case in the process of the driveshaft banging around underneath. What I don’t understand is how the differential locked within a few miles of making noise. It does have 190k on it but I just changed the fluid in it probably 2000 miles ago and the old fluid that came out wasn’t terrible and there wasn’t a ton of metal shavings on the magnet. Any ideas on what could have happened and how I should proceed? Would I be better off looking for used or reman parts?
Other then what some people know about your rear end...It is odd that you changed the fluid and 200 miles later this happened. I wonder if you got the wrong fluid which may have started the whole pinion destructing JMHO if you have the fluid bottle, surely see if it is correct for your application?

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Other then what some people know about your rear end...It is odd that you changed the fluid and 200 miles later this happened. I wonder if you got the wrong fluid which may have started the whole pinion destructing JMHO if you have the fluid bottle, surely see if it is correct for your application?
Yes it is the correct fluid, and it was over 1000 miles ago. I’m 100% confident it has nothing to do with the fluid change as the that has nothing to do with the pinion nut backing off. My dealer has already confirmed the pinion nut recall was the issue that created this mess.