Rear end squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I need some help with this one.

2004, 4.7L, 5sp manual tranny, 4x4, reg cab short bed. 130k miles.

Squeaking sound is coming from the rear half of my pickup while driving. It is louder while accelerating it appears most of the time than when letting off the gas, but goes away when breaking.

It **appears** to be 1:1 with tire revolution.

The rear most u joint has the slightest amount of play, and no doubt should be replaced at some point, but that wouldnt cease squeaking upon breaking as far as I know.

The last wheel bearing that went out sounded like a roaring.

Thoughts?

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking u-joint. Did the noise just start? I've seen rotors become warped and do some funny things. I've also seen (heard) axle seals cause squeaks on older Fords. Back half is a little too vague. Does it change at all with turn or weight transfer?

And, Welcome...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was thinking u-joint. Did the noise just start? I've seen rotors become warped and do some funny things. I've also seen (heard) axle seals cause squeaks on older Fords. Back half is a little too vague. Does it change at all with turn or weight transfer?

And, Welcome...

Thanks.

its been a couple weeks. it started as a very light squeak that would come and go. my drive to work is about 7 miles stop and go. probably would happen half way there and them some times be gone when I got there. but after a couple days it was coming and going at random it seemed every time I came to a light. now even if it goes away at a light, its back in about 5 seconds. but many times its right away.
as long as I am not breaking (since it seems to go away) it doesn't appear to change when turning.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok this sounds like it could be dry bushings. Squeaking can be caused by a lot of things but the most common culprit is lack of grease on moving joints. If your u-joint has a grease insert then go ahead and pack it full. Find any and all grease fittings on the rear of your truck and do those also (there should be a few). Now if the squeaking is happening while you are going over semi rough to rough roads then it could be the springs themselves too. Use some penetrating oil and spray the spring pack and see if the noise goes away. If it does then the squeak is not gonna be an easy "fix". If it is the spring packs then the only way I am sure of to get rid of the squeak is to completely disassemble the spring pack and spread neverseize on the points where the springs touch. But do not do that until you have checked the grease fittings first.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I
It is louder while accelerating it appears most of the time than when letting off the gas, but goes away when breaking.
Thoughts?

warped rotors would cause a squeaking noise while not on the breaks, as the pads are potentially making contact as the wheel goes around. and once pressure is applied to the breaks it makes the pads have full contact with the rotor all the time. just a potential solution.

Leaf springs will also cause a sqeaking if they are dry as mentioned above.

OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The spring are not it or it wouldn't stop while breaking or squeak in sync with wheel speed.

I am not aware of any grease fittings on a 2004 half ton.

The rotor is something I will check out.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, since it is rotational and stops when the brakes are applied, it tells me the issue lies in the brakes. We (I work for Toyota) have a lot of issues with rear rotors on Tundras. They like to make odd noises especially if aftermarket rotors have been installed.

Verify the rotors aren't warped (any pulsation?). Verify the backing plate isn't contacting the rotors. Verify the pads are free moving as well.

Hope this helps.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Did you have any brake work done recently?? I just thought of this: some vehicles have an small piece of metal that goes between the pad and the caliper parts to prevent or eliminate squeaking. When installing them a small but of grease is normally applied to the meta piece between it and the pad and that is actually what stops the squeak. It is a possibility that the grease has burned off or the piece of metal that goes between the caliper and pad has deteriorated.

Here is a link to the paste: Brake Anti Squeal Paste | Auto Parts Warehouse

I cannot find a picture or a link to the shims I am also talking about but they come with most good brake pad kits. Normally though brake squeal is very pronounced and will only go away when braking.