Rear end swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHEIFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
What rear end would fit under my 06 Ram 1500 v6? I’m looking at different model Dodges and I’m not sure which ones would work vs the ones that don’t?
Pinion gear seal went out which led to the bearings and chunk being destroyed! Not gonna be able to rebuild so my option is to replace it as a whole. Plz help cause I love my truck!!!

C6532261-C62F-4E9F-998A-6F5F86D9316E.jpeg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
What rear end would fit under my 06 Ram 1500 v6? I’m looking at different model Dodges and I’m not sure which ones would work vs the ones that don’t?
Pinion gear seal went out which led to the bearings and chunk being destroyed! Not gonna be able to rebuild so my option is to replace it as a whole. Plz help cause I love my truck!!!

View attachment 232524

You’ll be looking for the chrysler 9.25 I think. Im not an expert at differentials and axles so i hope someone else will chime in lol. They used it from 2002? until 2011ish im pretty sure, but for simplicity sake look for ‘02-‘08 1500s cuz those should bolt right up no issue.

I know you said you cant rebuild your current one, but personally id throw some 4.10s or 4.56 gears into a new rear end while youve got everything tore out. I have no experience with it (yet) but I’m sure you’d enjoy the extra low-end torque. As a V6 owner 4.56 gears are on my shopping list to help relieve some of the sluggish performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
02-08 1500 (starting 09 they went to coil springs) will bolt in, but if memory serves at some point they put speed sensors at the hubs vs the ring gear. You just need to find one within that year range that matches up with yours.

OP
OP
C

CHEIFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
Thanks for your advice. I was gonna go lower with the gearing (3.21) for more speed. Eventually I’m going to swap for a 392 v8. Ima speed demon!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for your advice.
I was gonna go lower with the gearing (3.21) for more speed.
Eventually I’m going to swap for a 392 v8. Ima speed demon!
I don't even know where to begin with all the things that are wrong with two of those three statements lol.
1) You're welcome.
2) Bad idea with a 3.7 and most likely a 42RLE trans (unless you have a stick). As it is you can't put a 3.21 in it anyway (not an available gear set for the 9¼). Your factory options there are 3.55 and 3.92. Trying to go that tall with that weak of an engine in a heavy truck would SUCK; it would barely get it out of it's own way and with the aerodynamics of a barn door you probably wouldn't get the speed you'd want. Very likely your mileage would get worse too since that little engine would have to work that much harder to get it moving.
3) That's a terrible idea, do you have any idea what all would go into a swap like that (with no guarantee of success)?

OP
OP
C

CHEIFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
Well HemiLonestar, I do in fact have a standard trans! I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise. My Ram is a 2x4 and weighs a half tung for 4x4 if I choose to go that route. My truck is reasonable quick which is why I thought the gearing and engine would be a good swap. (I also thought about a V10 Viper) Also I wanted to boost the v6 and up the performance a little bit for no reason, LOL! Wiring harness, the engine, trans most likely, driveshaft, reposition the motor mounts giving the position of the trans crossmember and the clearance of the firewall, slam it on the ground, give it a wing like the Plymouth Cuda, rims, and paint with a BIG WANNA BEE on the bed.
Fishstickz I value your input as well, much appreciated!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there looks to be rust and sludge in there. seal must of been leaking for years . it was full of water also

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well HemiLonestar, I do in fact have a standard trans! I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise.
Smart, kept you from getting the trans even worse than an RFE.

My Ram is a 2x4 and weighs a half tung for 4x4 if I choose to go that route.
It's a piece of lumber...? Ohhh, 4x2. Now if I only knew what a tung was.......

My truck is reasonable quick which is why I thought the gearing and engine would be a good swap. (I also thought about a V10 Viper)
Define "reasonably quick" Is that like, "can barely get out of its own way much less anyone else's" lol? I'm sure you thought about a V10, just as I'm also sure you equally didn''t really think through what that would entail.

Also I wanted to boost the v6 and up the performance a little bit for no reason, LOL!
Always a worthy endeavor, sadly a last cause with this engine family. Quick and easy upgrade would be a 4.7 (I say easy, but it really isn't as easy as the earlier trucks, CAN bus make stuff like that a little harder to do). 4.7's do actually have options; a boosted 4.7 stick shift Ram......

Wiring harness, the engine, trans most likely, driveshaft, reposition the motor mounts giving the position of the trans crossmember and the clearance of the firewall, slam it on the ground, give it a wing like the Plymouth Cuda, rims, and paint with a BIG WANNA BEE on the bed.
Your truck, but it's gonna take a bit more than that (how good are your mechanical/fab/electronics/electrical skills coupled with the size of your wallet lol?), though I see you have the upbadging plan in place lol.

OP
OP
C

CHEIFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
there looks to be rust and sludge in there. seal must of been leaking for years . it was full of water also

Funny story about the water! I got it stuck in a creek chasing a beaver. Sadly it sat and filled with water until someone came by and pulled the truck out!
It broke down a week later lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007