Rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought some new shocks the other day. Found out when the got here that the rear is set up like a front shock. I've got plenty of hex keys and surprisingly one that will fit in the small space that is there. Unfortunately when it pops out when I start taking off the nut.

I've sprayed the hell out of it with pb blaster. Not in the mood to take it to the stealership. Hate those people.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Blindsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Apply some heat to it. Careful after all the stuff you sprayed on it you do burn that mf to the ground.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about heat and just cutting the chrome shaft. Neither seems like a good idea being so close to the fuel tank and lines.

Blindsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I haven’t taken my rear shocks off, just the fronts, but they don’t leave much room for much leverage. Can you get an impact on the nut? Maybe it will pop it lose before your hex slips. Or am I thinking the wrong place, I want to think there’s room.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wrong place there's only a couple inches before the bed gets in the way. If it was easy to take the bed off and put it back on it would be easy

Blindsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks like there are a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Check those out and see if you pick up any tricks. Sucks...

TC323i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use a stubby or crows foot wrench. I think it was 18mm that I used off the top of my head.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I had the same issue when I swapped out my stock shocks. Just get out the sawzall and cut that nut off. Takes less than a minute and you're good to go. That's the only way I could figure how to do mine. Worked great.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk