Rear wheel seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello all, just a heads up about the rear wheel seals on these new pickups. Another one I saw was a 2017 with 50,000 KMS.

Parked the truck Friday and smelled that ole familiar smell, gear oil on the brakes.

My 2018 has 14,945 KMS on it, passenger rear wheel seal is slingin goo all over the brakes and wheel.
Dang.

Pulled it in the shop this am, replaced both rear seals, as the drivers rear was just starting to go once I got the rotor off. Most of the time the hubs need to be knocked off with a dead blow hammer from the backside, and these just fell apart. Kind of made me think it was leaking between the axle stub, and the inner part of the seal. I took the opportunity to put some anti seize on the pad abutment clips and put some slider lube in the slider pins. I did both the steer and rear axle. They come with zero anti seize, and minimal slider grease. On par with all manufacturers in my experience.

I have full warranty, but Its just not worth my time to drop it off, pick it up, make sure the job was done right etc. I'm in a rural area. I also wanted to make sure the mess was cleaned up properly. I work on highway trucks/ag equipment for a living in my shop, so its easy to do for me, just disappointing.

Take a look at your backing plates, and inspect for wetness. The sooner you catch it, the less mess it makes.