Rebel Duratrac flip white walls in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys,

Just got my new to me 2020 rebel and so far I love the Duratrac tires. I've always been a BFG KO2 A/T guy and was surprised I actually liked something different. Anyway the truck is all blacked out but the white lettering is driving me nuts on the tires. I tried a paint pen but it doesn't come out great.

What are the down sides to taking the tires off the rims and mounting them the other way (white walls out) after there are already 40k miles on them? There is another 1-2 years left on the tread so I don't want to just wait it out until its time for new ones but wasn't sure if that is a dumb idea.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
nothing other than the $$ spent on having them flipped,
you think about a standard rotation the front tires go to the back and you flip sides. The insides of the tires will now be on the outside but it's the change of direction that would cause problems which normally happens during rotating.
If the tires were asymmetrical then it would be a problem as the tires have an "inside" and "outside"

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think so, at the local tire shop they call it a change over when you take off the tires from 1 set of rims and put them on another.. remove/mount/balance. $80 for 4... seems easier than me sitting there for a few hours with a paint pen hoping it doesn't wash off

RC Turner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Tires do marry to the rim after some miles and time. Depending on how fussy you are about ride the may not be as smooth as you would like.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dismount and flip them. When you put the back on you need to put them on the opposite sides (ie drivers front goes to passenger front) this will keep your directional rotate the same. Not advisable to change rotational direction on a 40k tire.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't think so, at the local tire shop they call it a change over when you take off the tires from 1 set of rims and put them on another.. remove/mount/balance. $80 for 4... seems easier than me sitting there for a few hours with a paint pen hoping it doesn't wash off
The days of $80 mount/dismount and balance are long gone in my area. Cheapest I could find lately was $40 per wheel plus tax. One shop quoted me $240.

Zorin

Reaction score
The days of $80 mount/dismount and balance are long gone in my area. Cheapest I could find lately was $40 per wheel plus tax. One shop quoted me $240.
Hahahaahah! $240 for mount/dismount and balance! I can get a cheap Atlas tire changer/balancer combo deal for about 2600 bucks.

I own 4 cars. I would just have to do the tires on all 4 cars two and a half times to pay off the machine and balancer.

Plus I could charge my neighbors to do their tires at half the cost of whatever anyone was charging.

Point is, if you have the space, and the funds, it wouldn't take long to pay somethign like that off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hahahaahah! $240 for mount/dismount and balance! I can get a cheap Atlas tire changer/balancer combo deal for about 2600 bucks.

I own 4 cars. I would just have to do the tires on all 4 cars two and a half times to pay off the machine and balancer.

Plus I could charge my neighbors to do their tires at half the cost of whatever anyone was charging.

Point is, if you have the space, and the funds, it wouldn't take long to pay somethign like that off.
It's definitely something I've thought about. Having worked in a couple different tire stores in my younger days, I'm no stranger to busting tires. I almost bought a used Coats 20/20 tire machine and bubble balancer a few years ago. But at that time it was well under $100 to have tires mounted and balanced, and I rarely need to pay for that separately when I buy new tires.