Recommendation on front winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I realize it’s not a popular or common for those to install winch behind factory bumpers. While I have the SLT bumper I’ve seen some who have modified their own mounting plates between drain rails. Can anyone recommend a sleek and slim yet worthy 12k winch? The badlands 12000 with synthetic rope
Seems nice but for $600 is there anything in warn that’s comparable in price?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm not going to recommend any particular brand or model, but I will point out that we had Warn winches on our government rigs and the nicest feature you could ask for is the remote control, NO CABLES! No trying to unravel the control cable while trying to maneuver in muck, etc. Just slip it in your pocket and pull out when you need it. Definitely worth considering. :party28:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Smittybilt has a wireless feature as well on a couple of models.

xdmshawn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good question! I will be doing the same soon. Looking for a hidden receiver hitch to hide behind the bumper and have the receiver tube protruding through the bumper opening of my 2005 SLT. I'm thinking I may just fabricate my own. Then I will add a winch on a removable winch cradle so I can use it front or rear.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Look at line speeds also. Some cheaper winches are painfully slow. Maybe not bad but after you use or even see a faster winch, wow, it will seem stupid slow. Ideally you will never need it to get unstuck(not sure if that is why you are wanting one though).
I have a warn 8274, never gonna fit where you want it, also an warn xd8000i. The XD is slow compared to the 8274 but faster than cheaper ones.
If you need it for extraction, think about quality not just price especially if you are far from other help.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For a Warn set up nothing in that price range, but there are several other’s out there and if you want a better line speed or pull go to a bigger winch. My factory 12k Power Wagon winch is actually rated at 16,500 I believe, there are specs for break strength, working load limits Warn etc..won’t verify this verbally but all research spells it out. Never had a problem with it getting me out or other driver’s in hairy condition’s. Even rescued a tow truck that came to pull out a wreck that started pulling him down am embankment.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You don’t say if it’s a 1500 or HD. If it’s the HD you could use Power Wagon parts.

You mostly get what you pay for, although Warn does command a premium for the name. I think they earned their reputation through performance, not hype, though. They have in recent years offered lower priced winches made in PRC. Their more expensive ones are still made here.

I’m a fan of the recessed hidden installation compared to those protruding winch bumpers. Some of those reduce your angle of approach.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd look for something with a synthetic winch line. I've dealt with way too many cables and they can be a pain, literally sometimes too.