Remote start, won't.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Start with your battery. I had similar issues with my last Ram. Sometimes it would act fine and other times it wouldn’t start. Eventually the issue presented itself by refusing to start with the key. Had battery checked and the auto parts store said it checked out fine. I later learned that doesn’t mean anything. New battery fixed everything.

Mark DeRoncey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to be a connection issue on the hood sensor on mine. started at around 7500 miles. Dealer never could find the issue, but after some online digging I found it to be a fairly common issue. Unplug the hood sensor next to the hood latch and reconnect. Common issue with mine. It will go months with no issue, and then stop on the worst possible day. Regardless, it remedies the issue for a period every single time. Some dielectric grease on the connection bought me a year of trouble free use. If it starts up again frequently I will eliminate the plug for individual barrel connectors.

Last edited:

Complete Turf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe try changing the battery in the key fob. I've had problems with a Ram Tradesman not detecting the key fob, and changed the battery in the fob and all was good.

However, this was not a 'remote start' issue.

Joe_Ram73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins 6.7
Have you replaced the fob battery. I had a similar problem with my truck; however, in my case it wasn't the battery. It was the fob. I bought new ones and gat them programed. I was skeptical of having both fobs not working but, I replaced them and that was exactly the problem. Happy with my remote start working again.

ramtruckdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After failed remote start attempt, and you get into truck, on evic is there message" failed remote start attempt"? Have you got aftermarket LED lights? Anywhere

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 Laramie 1500. eTorque, air suspension, technology pack options, located in New England where it's getting cold.

Last winter, my first with the truck, factory Remote Start from the app or from the keyfob was fine. All spring, summer and fall, no problems.

But now the mornings are cold, Remote Start won't kick over when the truck is cold, which is when I want to use it most.

I get a single beep, a flash of the lights, and something in the engine makes a noise - then nothing.

This video shows what happens (it's muted - imagine a beep when the lights flash) - I tried to start it twice here. Same happens with the app.

I've had it into my local garage to check the battery, they say it's fine (pulling 14v). I have not been to a dealership, as they are a bit of a hike for me to get to.

Any ideas?

I had the same thing happen with my truck as well ... First thing I did was change the battery in the fob, but that wasn't the problem ... I found that after running some errands, I tried the auto start again when I got home, and it worked ... It seems it needed to reset itself .. This has happened a few times ... The only suggestion would be to speak with someone who is familiar with how these devices work and what may be causing the failures ... I even tried my spare fob and had the same issue ...

hankmillerusa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 3500 Dually, Larime, Longhorn
Engine
7.2 Diesel
I have the 2020 Limited Diesel and have exact same situation. Worked great last year, no issues what so ever, now in the monring after sitting all night, its cold out, I go to start it and it beeps once, flashed lights once but will not start. Exact issue.
Has anyone come up with a solution?

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you have more than a 1/4 tank of fuel. IT will not start with anything less.
This is not accurate. Only when the 'Low Fuel' light is on, which on my truck is at the 50 mile fuel range. I've started the truck plenty of times with less than even 1/8 tank.

hdwindjammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I had a similar problem with my remote. Hit the buttom twice, and no start. From inside the truck, on the screen, it showed "Hood Open". But, the hood was closed tight. The contacts on the hood latch taht the remote is tied too just needed cleaning... Unplugged it and sprayed it thoroughly with starting fluid... Problem solved..

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As a couple others have stated, if it tried but failed to remote start the EVIC should show a message why it didn’t.

Different issue is when it doesn’t get the signal to try - often I have to press the button a third time to get the lights to flash, registering receipt of the signal.

Only time mine fails to start after receiving the signal is low fuel (light is on, in which case it’s starts momentarily and then shuts off) or a door is not shut tight.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have been chasing this problem since the winter of 2020. The battery was replaced and I thought the problem was cured and then it got cold again and the problem happened again. The problem is not with the battery or any of the problems others have mentioned. When it's warm or after the truck is running, the battery will check out fine. My problem happens when it's approx 20 degrees f and below. The problem is when it's cold the battery loses capacity and when you attempt to remote start it the computer looks at the voltage of the battery and if it's too low, it won't start. It will however start with the push button inside the cab. About a week ago I put a battery warmer on my truck connected to a timer for it to come on at 3:30AM and when I'm getting ready to go to work I start it about 6:15AM, even though the temperatures have ranged from 0 to 3 degrees f the past 4 mornings, the truck has started fine. In order to fix the problem the firmware needs to be reprogrammed to change the threshold of the battery voltage in order to remote start it.

I did find this online today. So maybe they did make some changes to the battery voltage limits. I guess it's off to the dealer to see if I have the latest BCM firmware version.

TSB Number: 08-041-21
NHTSA Number: 10190708TSB
Date: March 18, 2021
Date Added to File: April 26, 2021
Failing Component: Structure
Summary: Flash: body control module (bcm) updates this bulletin involves updating the bcm with the latest available software. Customer may comment that after pressing the remote start button twice on the key fob, vehicle will chirp once, and fail

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Overnight my truck is parked in a semi-heated garage (42° F) but during the day it's out in the weather. While not common, it is too frequently below 0° F at end of day and I've never had problem starting it. This was with both my '15 and '20 5th Gen.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Overnight my truck is parked in a semi-heated garage (42° F) but during the day it's out in the weather. While not common, it is too frequently below 0° F at end of day and I've never had problem starting it. This was with both my '15 and '20 5th Gen.
It only happens after sitting in cold weather for a period of time. I don't know if it's more susceptible to happen with the Ecodiesel or not as I never had a problem remote starting below 0 f with my 2017 with the 5.7 Hemi.

ddowd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L
im having the same issue. even through the app it wont start. was there any resolution that you found?

Elio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L e-Torque
I have the 2020 Limited Diesel and have exact same situation. Worked great last year, no issues what so ever, now in the monring after sitting all night, its cold out, I go to start it and it beeps once, flashed lights once but will not start. Exact issue.
Has anyone come up with a solution?
Yes, I have that exact Remote Start problem with my '20 Limited 1500 as you described. I stopped at a dealership and of course after it got warmer it started right away so they could not do anything. the Svc manager suggested to leave the truck there over night to further troubleshoot it.
Neither the APP/start could start it. I tried BOTH FOBs and None. so, all what I was reading above to check. etc.. it does not work. I think the Single digits temps up here at Finger lakes NY totally cease it and it ****** me off cuz this when i really need to get the truck started and warm up.. terrible.