Remote Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Remote Start works, however engine stops in about 30 seconds, "remote start disabled"

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Similar thing happened to my 2016 1500...the remote start would occasionally cancel itself and the check engine light would come on for a bit then clear itself. After doing this a couple of times, I started paying attention to when it was happening and noticed the check engine light would come on when fuel tank was just below full and then shut off after tank level dropped to about 3/4 full. Turns out the issue was the fuel level sensor...had it replaced and had no further issues with the remote start. Not sure if your issue is due to the same thing or if it's a completely different root cause but either way hopefully it's something minor. Good luck!

onecooltech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 1500 BTS Hydro Blue
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine will do the same (Shut off after about 30 seconds) when there is 50 mile or less of gas in the tank. I can restart it, but after initial, it shuts off after 10 seconds.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your gage cluster should tell you why it was cancelled if you get to it soon after the truck shuts off. If it just says, "insert key to start" might have to pull DTC codes.

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is random but are you guys ever worried about remote start and the hemi idling? This is the first vehicle I havent had remote start in and I kind of miss it...

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is random but are you guys ever worried about remote start and the hemi idling? This is the first vehicle I havent had remote start in and I kind of miss it...
Long idle times are generally considered bad for the Hemi. Using remote start for a few minutes when it's cold should be fine. The rumor is that longer idle times may attribute to lifter failure.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i found it interesting that both my hemi cars will tell me how long they idles, as well as actually been driven and miles
so someone at whoever is running ma mopars estate must have thought it was important

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, not remote starting. You are only talking about 10 minutes (and generally only once or twice a day and when it's cold....at least for me as I don't remote start it when it's 70 F outside...). While I don't think idling in general is a bad thing, the concerns are probably more along the lines for those people that are working outside and let the truck sit there and idle for hours at a time. But overall there is absolutely no conclusive evidence that idling causes issue. Maybe it is, or maybe it isn't...but it's all speculation that long idle times cause premature lifter failures.....

onecooltech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No, not remote starting. You are only talking about 10 minutes (and generally only once or twice a day and when it's cold....at least for me as I don't remote start it when it's 70 F outside...). While I don't think idling in general is a bad thing, the concerns are probably more along the lines for those people that are working outside and let the truck sit there and idle for hours at a time. But overall there is absolutely no conclusive evidence that idling causes issue. Maybe it is, or maybe it isn't...but it's all speculation that long idle times cause premature lifter failures.....
The RAM app states that the truck will automatically turn off after 10 minutes of idling when remote started. I only remote start in the morning when its less the 45 degrees, so the defroster, mirrors, back window, seats and steering wheel are warm or defrosted!

onecooltech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This is the second vehicle that we've had remote start, the first was our Surburban. It's convenient in the mornings. The remote tail gate release is used a lot more!

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The RAM app states that the truck will automatically turn off after 10 minutes of idling when remote started. I only remote start in the morning when its less the 45 degrees, so the defroster, mirrors, back window, seats and steering wheel are warm or defrosted!
does that app allow you to turn the defroster on?

Scincade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Well, I bought an after market remote start and installed myself and love it. I was missing remote start and dealer said I couldn’t get it……well I can and I did. Remote start X from amazon.

Mathis427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Mine stopped working because of the dreaded Grill Shutter issue, but I do get the code and check engine light.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10 minutes is the industry standard for how long a vehicle will run after remote-starting. Most will let you remote start it a second time for another 10 minutes, but will not let you restart it anymore until after you actually get in the vehicle and drive. A lot of that is for safety (for those people who will remote start it in their garage...10 minutes isn't long enough to cause issues) or so that you don't forget and leave it running all day.
On my '16 it's not driven that much and does not have the app, just starts with the key fob. Not sure if there are settings to automatically turn on certain parameters or not as I haven't messed with it. The seat and steering wheel heaters will come on if it's under 40 F. I do have a 2020 car that I drive everyday (different brand), and through the app you can set certain parameters when remote starting. You can have multiple presets to choose from. So for example, you can have a "cold" setting which you can setup to have the front and rear defrosters come on, seat heaters, and what temperature for the climate control. You could have a "hot" weather setting also that would turn on the AC.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep,low fuel starts and stops,hood open/ajar shuts off,touching the gas pedal shuts off before fob inserted(ask me how I know--by accident)
mine has idled longer than 10 min.never shutoff.i did the test to find out.i was past 20 and was finished messing around in the garage so I turned it off.older truck maybe???stupid electrical glitch???like the radio changing stations.
Every once in awhile fob in my pocket gets tripped just right and someone at the shop comes and tells me your truck is running.