Removing hubs when the Power Steering method doesn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedDwg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 with 218K miles. Trying to replace front hubs. When trying to remove them, the power steering method didn't work. Tried using a chisel to break the seal between the hub and the mounting face. Bent the chisel. Other than a lot of banging, any other methods I should be looking at? Thanks

RedDawg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Last time this happened to me, I ended up having to remove the spindle completely, bracing it, and then sledgehammering the ******* thing out.

OP
OP
R

RedDwg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I want to thank everyone here and other places for their input. Been kind of busy the last few days on a number of things. I wasn't ignoring you and I apologize for not responding sooner.

The status of the truck is that I put everything back together without getting the driver side hub off (and never tried the passenger side). I applied as much heat as I could with the simple propane/butane torch and burner I have. I tried the power steering method to the point of deforming a socket and 3/4" drive extension. I couldn't use my air chisel as my big shop isn't set up yet and the big air compressor is still in storage. I did bend 2 large chisels beyond usefulness hitting them with a 4 pound hammer. I stripped one 3 point puller. I constructed a 65 LBS 'slide hammer' using a hanging tire - per the suggestion of a retired heavy equipment mechanic in the area. Swinging this from a height of 8 feet over 100 times just shifted the front end of the truck a 1/2" or more on the concrete.

?hash=e597777686e0de31c332e8de16250d84.jpgupload_2021-1-2_18-20-25.gif

I've beat it, heated it, yanked on it, sprayed it and pried on it for a week. Monday morning it gets towed to a shop that works on a lot of diesel trucks. I guess I know where my $600 stimulus check is going. Appreciate everyone's help. As my dad used to say, "Anything you can throw money at really isn't a problem." Guess I'm going to throw some (more) money at this one. Thank everyone.

OP
OP
R

RedDwg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
An Update: I stopped at the shop this morning that the truck was towed to earlier this week. I hadn't heard anything this week so I stopped. They hadn't had a chance to get to it till yesterday afternoon. The truck was in one of the bays in the back so it wasn't evident when I got there. The owner, whom I had been talking to on the phone previously came out wiping down his hands and shaking his head. He said that he had never seen a set of hub so tight and rust welded on in all his days but they had just gotten the second one off. He said they did use heat but more importantly, one of his mechanics, without his knowledge, had recently purchased one of these.(I don't know if this was the brand or not.). The benefit of it is that you can get a full swing at it with a maul or hammer. He said that although it was new when they started, it now looked like it had been constantly used for a year because of all the beating it took. But, it finally broke the bearing free.He was happy one of his mechanics had taken the initiative.

They checked everything out, used a lot of anti-seize and put it back together. And the bill was only slightly higher than what he quoted me initially a couple of weeks ago before I decided to try to do it myself. Good to have the truck back. Just wanted to let everyone know how it turned out. Appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad to hear it getting sorted and more importantly that they're smart enough to put anti-seize in for next time.
Btw your link didn't work.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That might've come in handy last time I had to do this lol.