Removing transfer case switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, my four wheel drive isn't working. Following some simple procedures, I have concluded that my transfer case IS engaging and I have vacuum at the front axle in 2wd. However, I do not have any vacuum in 4wd. Of course, the actuator will not do anything without vacuum.

I figured that I would try and replace the vacuum switch which is mounted onto the transfer case and see if that addresses the problem. I've read that you need a 1 1/16" wrench to remove it. No problem, I've got one lying around.

However, try as I might, I simply cannot get the damn thing to budge. This wrench is almost a foot long and I can position it to get excellent leverage. However, the switch will not budge. At all.

So, am I missing something here? These things are screwed into the transfer case and don't have that many threads. But I cannot get it to move even with a BFW! Are they just that hard to remove? Or am I overlooking something obvious? Any input is most appreciated. It's warming up again and the mud is starting to reform. I really need my four wheel drive soon. A few hundred pounds of wheels in the bed is only going to get me so far, LOL.