Replace or repair transmission...2010 RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2010 RAM, 5.7 with 37,000k miles. It had 14,000k miles two years ago when I bought it. Last winter I started hearing and feeling some worrying, tell-tale signs of transmission problems. On cold mornings the trans whines, shudders (classis torque converter worble) and slips. Now I feel the trans slipping on hard downshifts -- most notably at highway speeds when you hit the throttle to pass or climb hills and the like.

This truck is in beautiful condition and I plan on keeping it. This said, what are thoughts for repairing or replacing the trans with an upgraded, aftermarket unit such as Jasper or other vendors might offer? And what aftermarket trans supplier do you recommend?

Advanced thanks for the help,
Tom

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2010 RAM, 5.7 with 37,000k miles. It had 14,000k miles two years ago when I bought it. Last winter I started hearing and feeling some worrying, tell-tale signs of transmission problems. On cold mornings the trans whines, shudders (classis torque converter worble) and slips. Now I feel the trans slipping on hard downshifts -- most notably at highway speeds when you hit the throttle to pass or climb hills and the like.

This truck is in beautiful condition and I plan on keeping it. This said, what are thoughts for repairing or replacing the trans with an upgraded, aftermarket unit such as Jasper or other vendors might offer? And what aftermarket trans supplier do you recommend?

Advanced thanks for the help,
Tom

Def. dont rebuild it. I wouldn’t get an aftermarket tranny either. I’d get a factory remanufactured transmission from Mopar or Jegs or Summit. A trustworthy website with a good return policy and warrantee. Ive always stuck with OEM transmissions. Granted Ram trannys arent as strong as some others, you know what you’re getting and you’re getting something the truck was designed to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Def. dont rebuild it. I wouldn’t get an aftermarket tranny either. I’d get a factory remanufactured transmission from Mopar or Jegs or Summit. A trustworthy website with a good return policy and warrantee. Ive always stuck with OEM transmissions. Granted Ram trannys arent as strong as some others, you know what you’re getting and you’re getting something the truck was designed to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for your feeldback, jmd, and yes, remanufactured is what I meant when saying aftermarket. I know Jasper does remanufactured units. I appreciate your mentioning Mopar, Jegs, and Summit; although, I'm not sure Mopar will build in improvements into their remans like the other aftermarket suppliers like Jasper, Jegs, etc.

I'll keep your thoughts in mind as I explore options.

Cheers,
Tom

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your feeldback, jmd, and yes, remanufactured is what I meant when saying aftermarket. I know Jasper does remanufactured units. I appreciate your mentioning Mopar, Jegs, and Summit; although, I'm not sure Mopar will build in improvements into their remans like the other aftermarket suppliers like Jasper, Jegs, etc.

I'll keep your thoughts in mind as I explore options.

Cheers,
Tom
Good Luck man! Glad I could help a little...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
I've had more bad luck with Jaspers than good.

OP
OP
M

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had more bad luck with Jaspers than good.

One no-vote for Jaspers. Thanks for your input, JD Mark. I've not purchased anything from Jasper so your experience is useful.

Cheers,
Tom

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would have it diagnosed before I decide on replacing . Could just be a sensor pack.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have it diagnosed before I decide on replacing . Could just be a sensor pack.
I doubt that. I've seen the solenoid pack go bad and the symptoms are much different

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk